View Full Version : Odd?

tamaramac
02-03-06, 12:17 AM
I am the mother of two boys ages 13 and 11. My 13 year old has always been a very smart kid from early childhood. I know, I know, everyone thinks their kid is a genius! He was walking well by 10 mos and talking rather clearly at 1 year (haven't been able to shut him up since!) He learned to read at 3 1/2 and is an excellent reader and speller and has been above grade level all through elementary school but hates to read. He is very into designing and building wooden trailers for his bike and enjoys building with legos and his architect design software. Very artistic but not very social. He gets A's B's and C's in school. His lower grades due to the fact that he really doesn't care. Doesn't really care what people think of him. The problems really started when he was 4 and we took him to preschool. All the kids were required to take a nap but he would have none of it. The teacher let him sit next to her while she ate her lunch for about 2 weeks and then decided he needed to be forced to stay on his mat which caused him to kick and yell and wake everyone else up. Kicked outa preschool...lovely! During elementary school, most of the problems had to do with boredom and yelling out answers instead of raising his hand. This later led to "accidentally" tripping over desks and bumping into things which of course made his classmates laugh. Next came the shock value. In 5th grade he would write some very creative storys to share with the class. The only problem is that he would use inappropriate language. Nothing like the f or s word but just stuff not right for a school setting. He will not acknowledge anyone unless they talk to him first and then oftentimes will pretend that he didn't see or hear them when they say hello. He talks back to his parents and teachers and always finds the need to debate things. He's a master at telling me about incidents at school to make himself look innocent and then when confronted with the teacher there, admits that he "forgot" key elements of the story. He doesn't have many friends and seems to prefer my company. He can be an extremely charming kid. He's always willing to take out the trash, do the dishes, vacuum-stuff like that but God forbid if he's not allowed to do something that he gets it in his head that he wants to do. He will then capture us in a loop of debating with us, angering us and keeping us engaged in conflict. ODD? From what I've read, it looks almost classic. I am scheduling an appointment with Kaiser Mental Health and hope to get some answers soon. I was so happy to read some of the posts on here and see that there really are others out there who know what I'm talking about!