View Full Version : Question about behavior mods....

CJGsMom
02-03-06, 04:21 PM
My son has ADHD and ODD. When we utilized a behavior modification program, things got better. He still argued, but the program was the rule and we did not deviate from the program. Well, my son went away, last August, to an ADD summer camp. When he came home, we had gotten away from using it.

Now we are back to square one and we are having such a hard time getting it back on track. Do we have to go thru the whole process all over again? (It was based on Barkleys book.)

mctavish23
02-03-06, 06:54 PM
The ONLY therapy to work for hyperactive kids is Behavior Management.

Some time ago, Russ did a study in the Worcester,Mass. school district.

He was given carte blanche over a classroom;although I'm not sure what grade it was.

I think 4th or 5th, but that's just a guess.

He was allowed to pck the color of the room, the teacher, etc.

The students were divided into 2 groups :ADHD & Non-ADHD ( I don't recall if the kids were on meds, but I'll check my notes when I can).

Each child had an aide who went home with them after school to help with homework.

The classroom was placed on a Token Economy system of Behavior Management.

What happened was that EVERYBODY made A's(due to the structure,rewards,natural consequences and one to one supervision).

At some point, he "pulled the plug" and took the intervention away.

The non-ADHD kids continued to do well, while the ADHD kids returned to baseline behavior.

The school was reportedly upset because it was going so well.

His point was that the minute you take the program away,you are right back to square one.:)

The other thing he said about this was that when the question of "How long do we (school or parents) have to do this?" the answer is "forever."

I hope that helps you, as thats as close as I can come to answering the question w/o responding directly to it.

good luck

mctavish23 (Robert)

livinginchaos
02-04-06, 02:25 AM
Do you have that study, mctavish?
It sounds like a very interesting read!

Starting over sounds like the best plan. It might go a bit faster since he is already familiar with it.

Best wishes!

Uminchu
02-04-06, 03:15 AM
When he came home, we had gotten away from using it.

Now we are back to square one and we are having such a hard time getting it back on track. Do we have to go thru the whole process all over again? (It was based on Barkleys book.)Over the Christmas break, we got lax about our home program. Even after school started, we had trouble getting back on track, and our son was regressing. The rewards seemed to have lost their effectiveness. Not because he didn't like the rewards, but because he could no longer picture himself doing enough work to earn them. (I remember that giving-up feeling very welll from my own childhood.)

We ended up totally revamping the program. We also manipulated the environment by creating scarcity and a sense of crisis. Our son is doing a lot better now -- until the next time I guess. :rolleyes:

hypergeek
02-06-06, 05:29 PM
Robert thanks for double-spaceing that post. Made it SO much easier to read!