View Full Version : Calming Down

TeachMe
02-08-06, 05:30 PM
I am an 11th grade english teacher and I have a student in one of my classes who is as ADHD as it gets. He is on medication but I have him at the end of the day so by that time he is all wound up and is a challenge to keep under control.
I have tried having him "do a lap" around the hallway, but that doesn't seem to help. I've even called him up to the front or out in the hall before class starts to have him take deep breaths to calm him down. Is there something else I should try? It seems as though sometimes these strategies work and he's fine for the rest of the day. If they don't, however, he is disruptive and talkative. I warn him numerous times about his talking, but he just shrugs it off. I understand that he needs to calm down in order to get anything done, but at this point I'm not sure what else to try.
Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

casper
02-09-06, 01:09 AM
Give him something ot play with. Figdet toys are the best invention ever!

ms_sunshine
02-09-06, 12:58 PM
Peanut butter crackers are great...well, as long as he's not allergic to peanuts, that is. Might help his brain focus, plus he'll be able to fidget with the packaging. It can get expensive, but maybe if you use it as a last resort kind of thing?

lurker
02-10-06, 10:59 AM
Chewing gum?
Lest the others start screaming favouritism/you burn a huge hole in your pocket, you cld take him aside and suggest to him bringing the stuff in if he's partial to gum.
and if he forgets, maybe he could invest in a boxful of it and keep it in his locker/ with you.

scuro
03-04-06, 12:28 AM
I gave out gum to my one behaviour class everyday. It seemed to work and all the kids would make eye contact and talk to me at least once in the class. :P