View Full Version : natural treatment

BKieran
02-14-06, 07:59 PM
hey i'm just wondering if there are any 'natural' treatments out there for inattentive ADD. my parents dont want to put me on meds so i'm looking for alternative methods for treating this form of ADD. please help.

-B.K.:faint:

mctavish23
02-14-06, 08:35 PM
There have been no natural or alternative treatments found to work as a clinical treament for ADHD.

The most promise has been shown by Omega 3 long chain fatty acids, however, as a supplement only.

I take those and they're good for a number of things.

Again tho, they don't replace medications.

There's an overwhelming amount of info out there, some of it deceptive & even fraudulent.

Here's a couple of very good references on ADHD:

1) Taking Charge of ADHD by Russell Barkley

2) The ADHD Book of LIsts by Sandra Rief

Both of those are written for parents.

The second one is really a compilation of all the important research over the last 15 years, put into list form ( by category) and explained in plain English; with the references included.

good luck & welcome to the Forum

mctavish23 (Robert)

Cactus
02-17-06, 05:11 PM
Just ro add to the above- be very VERY carefull when considering natural 'treatments'. There is so much fraud in this particular industry that everything you're considering has to be fully researched and verifyed before you begin. Don't belive anything.

And- if there is any way possible to get on the meds please try it. They're popular for a reason: they really work.

kimmacvb
02-19-06, 06:52 PM
There is an excellent book called "Healing ADD" by Daniel Amen, MD. I highly recommend any of the books that he has written. He has a new one called "Making a Good Brain Great". He has a very interesting website with self-tests for ADHD and one for the Brain System. You can find the website by searching for the Amen Clinic. The site also links you to his other sites - brainplace.com - on this site you will find an article that discusses the supplements that heal the brain.

barbyma
02-19-06, 07:55 PM
You didn't say why your parents are hesitant, but if it's a lack of knowledge about ADHD, or a fear of the meds, there are some excellent resources they should read.

One particularly convincing tidbit is the list of statistics about the outlook for untreated ADDers.

A great book is Sandra Rief's "ADHD Book of Lists". Also, there are a few websites that have accurate information:

www.chadd.org

www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhd.cfm

www.help4adhd.org

www.add.org

I so wish there was something that I could tell you would treat your symptoms besides meds, but there just isn't.

mctavish23
02-19-06, 08:11 PM
As a licensed psychologist,as well as an adult ADHD, I feel compelled to add that, while Dr.Amen is respected as a prolific researcher, he is largely considered to be on the "fringe" professionally.

The best example I can give you is that his research has not been replicated by anyone outside his students, proteges',interns, etc.

The one and only way that any research is judged to be valid and reliable over time is for outside observers to be able to replicate the study exactly and then get the same results.

I'll repeat what I said (and have said many times) there are NO supplements having been found to work as a clinical treatment (substitute for meds) for ADHD.

FredMerc
03-23-06, 02:57 AM
Go to the following website www.sharperprograms.com (http://www.sharperprograms.com) I purchased these programs for both my children, my daughter is dyslexic, and my son is ADD and dyslexic. They have been using it for about 5 weeks, and I am actually starting to see a difference in both of them. My son is starting to focus more on the things he's suppose to, and has actually started doing his homework by himself, without my help to get him back on track. My daughter is starting to enjoy reading, and is able to do more of it. They have only just started these programs, and I can see the difference, and it gets better each week. For anyone who does not want to use meds, it is definitely worthwhile checking out. They have clinically proven that it works. I am seeing it work with my children.
For all those that say there is nothing else but meds, you are wrong because there is something else. Medication is just the band aid approach. These programs correct and repair the brain. I am sure there are many of you that say it is impossible and ADD cannot be corrected, but it can because I am seeing it happen with my son.

barbyma
03-23-06, 03:51 AM
For all those that say there is nothing else but meds, you are wrong because there is something else. Medication is just the band aid approach. These programs correct and repair the brain. I am sure there are many of you that say it is impossible and ADD cannot be corrected, but it can because I am seeing it happen with my son.
There are NO computer methods or any other methods that "correct" or "repair" the brain.

At this time the only approaches that are known to treat ADHD symptoms effectively are medications. Behavior Therapy is also effective in repairing some of the damage that ADHD has done, but these programs are NOT behavior therapy.

Please do not spread misinformation. It is against forum guidelines to promote commercial products or link to websites selling ADHD "methods."

FredMerc
03-23-06, 04:14 AM
That was my mistake for adding the link. I tried to remove it but I couldn't. This is not misinformation. IT WORKS! It is called Biofeedback. Medications are NOT the only way to treat ADD. Drug companies want you to think that though.

I am not selling anyting! I am a parent who got this program and my children are using it with success! The first post questioned if there was any alternative to medication, and I am just responding to the questions that there is. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't so. Not everyone wants to take medications. This is one alternative.

chameleon
03-23-06, 04:17 AM
Hi! :)
My name is Ethel Fritz and I just want to say - I'M NOT SELLING ANYTHING! :D

FredMerc
03-23-06, 04:30 AM
Good for you! Neither am I.

barbyma
03-23-06, 10:56 AM
That was my mistake for adding the link. I tried to remove it but I couldn't. This is not misinformation. IT WORKS! It is called Biofeedback. Medications are NOT the only way to treat ADD. Drug companies want you to think that though.
Please provide evidence for claims like these. If it works, there's evidence.

Evidence is scientific studies published in peer-reviewed journals.

Biofeedback has been repeatedly tested and continues to fail to be effective in releaving ADD symptoms.

FredMerc
03-23-06, 12:52 PM
Go to the SharperPrograms site, and you can read some reasearch there. It is from an actual clinic in Toronto, I've been there, and it is endorsed by many medical doctors.

Hyperion
03-23-06, 05:18 PM
I think that what Barb is trying to tell you is that there is a lot more that goes into investigating treatment options than just trying something and seeing it work in a few people.

The federally mandated process by which all prescription medications, including those used for add, involves four separate phases of studies that take several years and cost millions of dollars. It is not until a drug passes through each of these phases and then passes a final review that is even available in the first place.

Furthermore, even once drugs are approved, there are still all kinds of scientific studies that get conducted regarding their efficacy. Medications for add were in fact a part of the largest study ever conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health, called the Multimodal Treatment for attention deficit disorder study, or mta for short. This study involved hundreds of patients in many different cities in the US and Canada. The result of this study showed that treatments which included medication were far more effective than treatments that did not include medication. They examined four different options: patients given only medication, patients given only therapy, patients given both medication and therapy, and patients who received nothing more than a regular physical exam from their doctor a couple of times a year.

The results showed that medication and therapy combined were slightly more effective than medication alone, while therapy alone was far less effective and simple community treatment was simply not effective at all.

Finally, the most important facet of these studies is that they don't depend upon who endorses what. The study itself uses standard methodologies, and all data involved is published openly. It's not a matter of opinion, but of scientific investigation, and doctors and researchers who disagree will propose their own hypotheses, conduct their own research, and if it turns out that they are correct, then they will publish their research and show others their evidence.

barbyma
03-23-06, 06:17 PM
The results showed that medication and therapy combined were slightly more effective than medication alone, while therapy alone was far less effective and simple community treatment was simply not effective at all.

I just want to correct something that I've seen elsewhere. I think it's just been passed from source to source, but I've read the original study, so I just want to be sure the results are clear.

Medication plus therapy was not more effective than medication alone in treating ADHD.

Even if means were higher, one cannot infer a difference if it's not statistically significant (especially with such a large sample; that yields great power).

Nevertheless, researchers and professionals continue to recommend therapy in conjunction with medication because it is beneficial in treating non-ADHD problems that can exacerbate symptoms.

Besides, unlike many "alternatives", it isn't harmful.

mctavish23
03-23-06, 07:52 PM
Once again, for ADHD Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive type and ADHD -Combined type, the only therapy shown to work with kids is a rewards based behavior management / home token economy program.

Nothing else besides meds works for those kids.

In terms of Biofeedback, it has never been substantiated beyond the makers of the products involved.

(The same thing applies for nutritional/dietary interventions).

Outside/neutral experimenters have NEVER been able to successfully replicate those data.