View Full Version : What to write for a prescription?

Bean Delphiki
02-17-06, 01:19 PM
Hey all,

I've tried taking Ritalin since the 26th of January, and it really doesn't seem to be working. No focus, and I can't take more than 20mgs a day without feeling weird and speedy. So I'm going to my doc to ask her to prescribe something else. I'm thinking Adderall.

Last time I was there, I got the distinct impression that she was only prescribing me Ritalin because she wasn't aware of anything else to use. I think she might have prescribed me the generic, too - the bottle label just says, "methylphenidate 5mg (tablet)." Does that mean it's a generic?

In case she hasn't looked it up, I'd like to know what to tell her to write down for a prescription for Adderall. Perferably non-generic, if there is a generic for Adderall.

Anybody know what she'd have to write?

livinginchaos
02-18-06, 01:24 AM
Shire makes the original Adderall.

stanzen
02-18-06, 02:05 AM
Adderall is mixed-amphetamine salts, composed of 3/4 dextroamphetamine, the active ingredient. Dex has been around for seventy years.

Trying generic mixed-AMPH salts, or Shire adderall, or dextropamphetamine, will give you an idea whether the AMPH class compounds work for you.

Usual disclaimer: I am not a physician, discuss all medication choices with your doc.

barbyma
02-18-06, 02:09 AM
If your insurance will force you to go generic, you might try Adderall XR. There's no generic for the extended release, so most insurance companies will cover it....

Bean Delphiki
02-18-06, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately, it turns out my insurance company does NOT cover Adderall XR, so it would cost almost $300 for me to get my script filled.

Back to the doctor. :mad: