View Full Version : How to tell if you have racing brain syn

dunno77
02-23-06, 09:53 PM
I am 32 years old and always new I had adhd. My mom always said that I was just hyperactive. It is so bad the sleeping pills keep me up all night and medication never seems to work. My problem is that at night it takes anywhere from 2-4 hours to fall asleep because my mind just won't stop long enough to fall asleep. So physicaly I am dead tired but mentaly my mind goes 100 mph. Is there anyway to tell if you have racing brain syndrome? I tried marijuana last week for the first time in 16 years and found I was able to fall asleep quite quickly. I live in oregon where we have medical marijuana but am afraid to talk to a doctor feeling he will just think I am a pot head. I function just fine throught the day I can concentrate on multiple tasks and get them all done. My only problem is never being able to get to sleep. any help out there would be appriciated.

Carla B.
02-23-06, 10:02 PM
Lots of the experts have spoken about how often ADD and drug use are seen together, and some have written about how treatment for ADD lessens the risk for drug use, actually, because (with the right Rx med) you don't feel as large a need to "self-medicate." Somewhere deep in my archives I think I have cites for a study or two which supported that finding.

It's not just MJ, although that particular use is quite common from the stories I've seen over the years. Also cocaine, but to a lesser extent.

One ADD therapist (Wendy Richardson I think) has written one or two books on ADD and drug use specifically. You might want to check that out on Amazon as I am know she will give a much fuller picture than I can. But, in brief, you should know you are far from alone in this, whatever the "racing brain" comes from.

dunno77
02-23-06, 10:12 PM
I have read that adhd's do get into drugs so they can "concentrate" at work. That is not my problem though I have gone to the doctor's on many occasion for sleep depervation and all they do is give me sleeping pills that keep me up all night long (by the way my g/f loves the sleeping pills though). But last week I was just over at a friends and he offerd me a hit I thought sure since I haven't done anything in so long I would try it again. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. So that got me to thinking and looking on the internet and found all these sites where they are saying that marijuana helps those with racing brain go to sleep. I wouldn't need to smoke all day to concentrate just before bed to slow down my thoughts so I can go to sleep.

mctavish23
02-23-06, 10:41 PM
I've never heard of the "Racing Brain Syndrome."

One of the evidenced based (research substantiated) differences between kids with both Bipolar & ADHD vs ADHD alone is "flight of ideas" or racing thoughts.

dunno77
02-23-06, 10:50 PM
racing brain syndrome or rbs is only seen in about 4% of people with adhd. if you google adhd rbs you will see the sights that I talked about even oregon medical board is looking at medical marijuana to treat racing brain syndrome. I am just worried that my doctor is going to think I am a dope head when I have only done it like 6 times in my life. But I am just tired of not getting to sleep and once a week having to sleep for 16 hours just to catch back up.

mctavish23
02-23-06, 10:53 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I'd think that trying to distinguish that from "flight of ideas" would be tough.

I'll definately read more.

tc
mctavish23 (Robert)

dunno77
02-23-06, 11:06 PM
The only problem with it being "flight of ideas" Is it never happens when I am speaking also I can stay on one thought but that thought just keeps going. Like I will lay there and think of everybill I have and how much money I have and when everything needs to be paid and how many stamps and checks I have left and when the mailman comes and so on and so on. All while trying to go to sleep.

mctavish23
02-23-06, 11:13 PM
Okay.

Excellent analogy.

Appreciate it.

ladym
02-24-06, 01:36 AM
The only problem with it being "flight of ideas" Is it never happens when I am speaking also I can stay on one thought but that thought just keeps going. Like I will lay there and think of everybill I have and how much money I have and when everything needs to be paid and how many stamps and checks I have left and when the mailman comes and so on and so on. All while trying to go to sleep.When your mind is going non stop before you go to bed, is it generally focused around worry, as you described in this post? This is very common in anxiety disorders. At night, as you relax, your brain is free to work through all the stresses and worry, and it does, and it goes on for hours.
I have to sleep with a t.v. on in my room, or I will never go to sleep. That distracts me enough that my brain shuts off. I often start drifting into the endless thoughts, but I divert myself back to the t.v. and almost always fall asleep.
Something else to explore anyway:p

dunno77
02-24-06, 02:48 AM
Actually not always about worry that was just one night. Every night is somthing diffrent and every night I get to sleep later and later. Eventually I have to stay up for 36 hrs just to make it to work and wear myself out so I can go to sleep ontime and start it all over again.

meadd823
02-24-06, 06:17 AM
Hey McT I haven't heard of this racing brain syndrome either although I have always felt I was like on a 36 hour clock....

I have problems at night much like the one described..

I do get some relief with melatonin, THC in my urine would spell professional disaster for myself

Even when I was younger and did smoke pot I found the ability to fall asleep after smoking it decreased in it's effectiveness over time!!!

Here are some WEB site I found by doing the goggle search as described...

Speaking of sleep I need to find my way to some so I will provide the hyperlinks with the explicit disclosure I have not checked out their legitimacy

the medical MJ thing (http://130.94.161.3/KortExplores/articles/files/omma3.php)

the following had some references that I haven't had time to check them out...but at least they did make an attempt to look like they had some

The light party? No joke (http://www.lightparty.com/Health/MedicalMarijuana6A.HTML)

Those were the most legit appearing ones that I couldn't point to an obvious attempt to sell a product or idea......

the google search itself (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=racing+brain+syndrome%2C+ADD&btnG=Google+Search)

I am a very open and accepting person and I do relate to being unable to sleep however I would need to research this "racing brain syndrome" a lot more before I am convinced of the merits behind the claims made.

I have gone on enough “snipe hunts” to last me a life time so I do research any claims made then I research the sources of the research…….a tad over board I know but there are a lot of people seeking to deceive by providing misinformation.

Most researchers that I am familiar with have concluded that the use of marijuana makes ADD symptoms worse ... I can see where this would be especially true for those who are inattentive----

I am hyper and I do understand pot can slow down the million and one thoughts in the mind at once thing. However I have found legally prescribed medication to be effective enough to allow me to function and keep my nursing license.

Before using a currently illegal substance please consider the legal ramifications.

Thanks for reading

crime_scene
02-24-06, 11:33 AM
In some of the books I've read and articles etc. "racing thoughts" phrases are not uncommon. People on these forums often seem to talk about having more thoughts per minute than nonADD or having thoughts that are very fast.

I'm thinking they mean the same things.:confused:

runinl8
02-24-06, 11:45 AM
I don't have the problem to your extent but most nights I have a hard time getting to sleep because I can't quite "thinking". You may not like this idea but what I have found helps me is to watch tv while I'm in bed and it keeps my mind focused on one thing instead of 100. My friend also has this problem and she said it helps her alot to watch tv. I know it's not a medical answer but try it. What could it hurt.

Scattered
02-24-06, 03:13 PM
Have you seen a psychiatrist or psychologist recently to help you figure out this puzzle. The symptoms you mentioned are common to several DSM-IV diagnosis. I would really encourage you to have a professional help you figure out this puzzle -- then if he agrees medical marajuana (assuming they legalize it) is warranted you won't have to worry about getting in trouble for breaking the law. If it's something else in addition to ADHD (85% of ADD Adults have something else too -- depression, anxiety, OCD, bipolar, etc.) than they can help you get proper treatment for that.

The DSM-IV lists the following symptoms (plus others) for the following:

*generalized anxiety disorder - sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep); person finds it difficult to control worry

*depressive episode - insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every date

*bipolar - decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep); flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing

No sleeping is miserable -- I hope you find the answers you seek.

Scattered

livinginchaos
02-24-06, 05:08 PM
Have you tried taking Melatonin?

It's a natural sleep aid and is what a body produces naturally while sleeping.

Melatonin is produced at night in the pineal gland. It helps to regulate sleep-wake cycles.

You can buy it at any natural store. It helps a lot!

dunno77
02-24-06, 08:18 PM
all medicine works in almost the reverse fashion for me. If it will put someone to sleep it will keep me up all night long. Such as codine,nyquil,tranzidone,perkiset. Just to name a few.

livinginchaos
02-24-06, 09:12 PM
Melatonin might be different because it is the natural hormone that is secreted to help sleep.

Carla B.
02-24-06, 10:19 PM
all medicine works in almost the reverse fashion for me. If it will put someone to sleep it will keep me up all night long. Such as codine,nyquil,tranzidone,perkiset. Just to name a few.If it makes you feel any better you are not the first I've seen to report such 'parodoxical' reactions to various meds. I've experienced a bit of it myself (first ever trial of stimulant was highly sedating), and seen many others report it too (more often in the early 90s than most recently, for whatever reason).

Back then, I knew some psychiatrists who felt a paraodixocal reaction to stimulants (slows you down instead of speeds you up) was, by itself, almost diagnostic for ADD, and it's still my sense that if that reaction is present, it gives a jumbo sized-hint :)

Adamant1988
02-25-06, 12:15 PM
I've never heard of the "Racing Brain Syndrome."

One of the evidenced based (research substantiated) differences between kids with both Bipolar & ADHD vs ADHD alone is "flight of ideas" or racing thoughts.
Yeah, I can tell the difference... because I'm almost 100% sure I'm bipolar type II rapid cycling.

and I can detect the difference in my thought patterns from being up or down.

When I'm up, I'm filled with creative input and great inspirations and idea's. infact I even had a talk with barb about starting my own website to help people with ADHD and other conditions as well, and I get DEAD SETon something, like in my case, building a new computer, even though I don't have the money to buy the parts. I can operate VERY well on 3 hours of sleep when I'm like this, anything more than 5 hours, and I'm so hyperactive and impulsive the next day that nothing can be done with me.

When I'm 'down', I sleep alot, nothing seems really interesting, and I feel lathargic and dulled down like my head is working at 1/2 capacity and everything is getting backed up. I'm in the down phase right now, I slept a total of 18 hours yesterday. I'm not sure my family knows I'm home

The difference is that when I'm down that raceing bunch of thoughts go away, but I will still jump from subject to subject very quickly.

The difference is whenI'm up my thoughts come out through speech which is just as cluttered and fast-paced as my mind. like this

"Hey Adam, what's up?"

"Hey _______, Not much, except for I've got a crap load of homework to do, and speaking of homework did you do your's lastnight? I didn't do mine, I was too busy playing on the computer, haha silly distractions, speaking of distractions your shirt is very loud! I like it but it screams at me louder than my computer speakers, which by the way, my computer has a REALLY good set of speakers, I like listening to Fort Minor and Gorillaz through them, they're very good bands, what are your favorite bands."

Ok, I know what yu're thinking, that's a lot of comma's, but the fact is... if I had spoken that it would sound the way it reads. So yeah, that's how you can kind of tell if you have racing thoughts.

meadd823
02-27-06, 03:04 AM
If it will put someone to sleep it will keep me up all night long. Such as codine,nyquil,tranzidone,perkiset. Just to name a few.

I am like this too except the Nyquel which I have always taken when very sick and I will be able to sleep when it takes effect because I can breath......the rest keep me awake too..sleeping pills like restoril make me eat and eat and eat!!!!