View Full Version : The latest form of psychotherapy

Joyous56
02-25-06, 12:53 AM
is "Acceptance Committment Therapy" (ACT), according to a recent TIME article. In a book by Steven Hayes (Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life , New Harbinger Publications; 207 pages), Behavior Therapy (change your behavior and your thinking/feeling will follow) was superceded by Cognitive therapy (change your thoughts/and feelings by practicing).

ACT is basically about, "focusing less on how to manipulate the content of our thoughts and more on how to change their context--to modify the way we see thoughts and feelings so they can't push us around and control our behavior. Segal calls that process disidentifying with thoughts--seeing them not as who we are but as mere reactions. "

"....trying to correct negative thoughts can, paradoxically, intensify them, in the same way that a dieter who keeps telling himself "I really don't want the pizza" ends up obsessing about ... pizza."

The title of the article is "Happiness isn't Normal". Here's the link:
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1156613,00.html

fuzzybrain
05-04-06, 02:10 PM
Hey I experience the same thing whenever I try to sleep-I end up thinking about it too much, and then I can't-if I don't think about it, then I just drift off, but how do you program yourself to just drift.....away? I didn't catch it-who is Segal? Is he that guy who does Positive thinking books? Just curious.

chameleon
05-04-06, 02:19 PM
When I try to focus I have the same problem as you do with sleepy fuzzybrain. Like if I'm trying to force myself to read and comprehend something I find boring, I'll catch myself thinking, "Read, read, read" and realize none of the content got into my brain. :p

I like the idea of not giving weight to our thoughts and feelings Joyous, at least the negative ones.

I believe there's a lot of power in "Behavior Therapy (change your behavior and your thinking/feeling will follow)". I think it's one of the most powerful tools people have to change themselves into the person they wish they were. At first, it feels fake, but soon it's integrated into our personality.

dormammau2008
05-10-06, 12:44 PM
When I try to focus I have the same problem as you do with sleepy fuzzybrain. Like if I'm trying to force myself to read and comprehend something I find boring, I'll catch myself thinking, "Read, read, read" and realize none of the content got into my brain. :p

I like the idea of not giving weight to our thoughts and feelings Joyous, at least the negative ones.

I believe there's a lot of power in "Behavior Therapy (change your behavior and your thinking/feeling

yes behavire therapy works by makeing you look at your self its haveing the right therpest that makes all the diff if they have some belfth in you LIKE NLP witch works on the same linessssss i like you as you are charm an you fuzzy modfieing is fine but never chage who you are cos thats what sooo likeable about you dorm

fuzzybrain
05-11-06, 11:01 AM
Yeah, this has me curious, because a lot of things I do or think has to do with fear of something or someone, or anticipating something to the point of anxiety I can't control. If only I could think only GOOD thoughts all the time, or if I thought bad ones, they didn't carry the same weight they do now-like I could just go on and I wouldn't stop frozen in my tracks like a deer in the headlights-I am gonna be checking that book out thanks for the heads up. me

dormammau2008
05-12-06, 11:33 AM
hey fuzzy iam allways hear if you wanna talk more on anything i think you go alongway as long as you belive in yourself anxiethy i know is tuff but things like nlp an the beahavy modafioning will help you get though that very quickly more than you will know,,,,,,as for the dear >>ware sunglasss an you wont be dazzioned by the sunlight lol you do fine keep reading the froums posts theres louds ofve helpfull tips there dorm