View Full Version : ADD teachers

oopsiforgot
02-25-06, 10:48 AM
I'm a first grade teacher with ADD. I'm looking for advice on classroom management and organization. I don't have a lot of planning time, so I get backed up very quickly (grading papers, filing, etc.). :( My instruction time is efficient, but my "me" time is chaotic. I only have about 40 minutes of planning each day, and I waste precious time just wondering where to begin. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

chloe516
03-04-06, 10:29 PM
I have this same problem! I am a second grade teacher.

In the primary grades, I don't think that grading all work is important, it is more about observing the children, so I don't worry about grading papers. I just check to see that they have finished classwork and I walk around and give them a sticker as they work, so parents can see that I have looked at it. I am a HUGE stickler about modeling, I can't learn without it so I don't teach children without it. We do a lot of work whole class and I have the kids write DT at the top for Done Together. I try not to do too much that requires grading for a couple of reasons. 1. I think they are just too young for that. and 2. I can't keep up with it. I have a section of my board where we write who needs to finish work, I don't like posting names for everyone to see, but if I don't nobody remembers!

I also bought a children's pocketbook which I wear during the day. (Luckily as a second grade teacher I can get away with it!) I keep tickets in it (they can earn tickets for good behavior and we have a raffle on Fridays), a small notebook, and a compact pen. This way I have a pad of paper and pen with me at all times and I can write down things as I remember and not have to walk around or look for something to write with!

What other advice are you looking for? I will be glad to help if I can. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other!

Here is a site that has some information that seems helpful, I haven't been able to try any of the tips yet, but it seems good.
http://www.addconsults.com/articles/full.php3?id=1474&highlight=1&q=2&text=tips+for+teachers+with+add

Please let me know what you learn, it is nice to hear people in the same boat!

EYEFORGOT
03-05-06, 12:05 AM
We have a teacher's corner here. Please contact ms_sunshine or Andi for access to the private teacher's lounge.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=302

Warm welcome.

oopsiforgot
03-05-06, 05:06 PM
Thank you!

Chloe, I love the purse idea! Too cute...

MrsBubblebrain
03-06-06, 02:31 AM
I just quit teaching. I constantly was overwhelmed by the organisation side of it. I found accordian style files useful for filing as you can just add things in without having to put them in folders/ hole punching them etc.

Check lists helped. I could see who still needed to do what.

When I left this last teaching job, I still had a large pile of the kids work that never made it home to them. I put it in a plastic bag in the end and snuck it out lol. I felt really bad about it.

I don't think grading is essential either, but feedback is. I loved putting stickers on their work as it was quick and easy.

chloe516
03-06-06, 10:20 PM
Checklists!!!! Whoda thunk?!?!?! I definitely should have thought of that!!!!

It's sometimes those simple solutions that pass me by....:faint:

Mrs. Bubblebrain,
What did you teach? I definitely feel overwhelmed with the organization part of it, but I don't know if that is enough of a downfall that I would think to look into something else. I also think any job would have organizational things that would overwhelm me...

I love the image of you trying to sneak out those leftover papers! ;)

fuzzybrain
03-15-06, 11:43 AM
I feel that I will be in the same boat as Msbubble brain-I hate organization, but I am a firm believer in individual teaching, learning and growing, I have my speced degree-cross cat I guess-waiting for the red tape to become final so I can teach in my state-but gosh, HOpe I can teach in an elementary classroom-just helping a few kids-using timers, hopefully a para will be there with an iron rod-and just some meds, I am not on any now, but I could sure stand to be. Haven't got the guts to tell anybody that I should be-how do you handle that? Anyhow-how do you make it work for you? I love stickers, I am like a kid myself, I love bright colors, checklists, anything that shows progress motivates me, and I need lots of feedback and attagirls, which I figure my kids will too-but realistically it will be work, and hopefully I will be working with the system instead of fighting it. thanks-glad this forum is here. LORI

fuzzybrain
03-15-06, 11:45 AM
oh yeah,

HOw long have you all been teaching? What is the best thing, and what is the hardest thing-and how are you with your supervisors? Just curious.

chloe516
03-15-06, 01:57 PM
Are you a member of the private lounge? I would feel more comfortable talking about the ins and outs of being an ADHD teacher there, or through PM.

Andi and ms_sunshine are the moderators if you are not a part of the private forum.

fuzzybrain
03-16-06, 12:14 PM
Nope I am not, just visiting, I don't know anything about the private lounge?

Scattered
03-16-06, 01:12 PM
Private lounge is just for teachers and gives an added measure of privacy to discuss things. Just PM the moderators Andi or MsSunshine and ask for the password.

Scattered

fuzzybrain
03-17-06, 03:57 PM
Thanks I will, I have questions and "issues", I appreciate all of your help. LORI

Geneviève
03-22-06, 11:17 AM
I am an early childhood educator. I work with 8 children age 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. I find sometimes hard to maintain a good group discipline and managing order in my group. I'm looking for strategies to make life more livable in my "classroom"

X-Man
07-14-06, 07:46 PM
Hi guys,

Teachers with ADHD have the ability to get intouch with the patterns young learners use to solve problems. Let you mind and senses expand to theirs. The pathways these young people use to get where they are going in the learning can become visable.
Organization can be helped by creating instant grade learning. This can be done by creating a project that has the learning in it. Give them a time limit and let them know they have to explain their work to the rest of the class. Group projects are good. They can know what the project for the next day is so they can find things they want to us in it at home the night before. Have them to make games for the rest of the class. The learning can be inside. If it is fun for the kids, it probably will be fun for you. They will remember it more also.
The most effective discipline tool for a teacher is a cell phone. The first day of the year you can tell the kids that you will be letting them know if they are not acting appropriately. Then tell them they will only get one more warning before you call their parents. Describe the telephone call to them. Tell them that you aren't going to call their parents and gripe about them. You are going to be their parents friend. Tell them that you are going to tell their parents that their child has had a problem with possibly throwing something in the classroom and they haven't been able to stop this behavior. Then tell them you are going to tell their parents that you believe parents should have the opportunity to work with their own kids before they have to be sent to the office and be put through the disciplinary system. Then tell them you will ask their parents if they would like to see what they can do before that has to happen. Talk about being able to hear a pin drop. You all know that the cardinal rule for administrators is handle it in the classroom. An idle administrator is a happy administrator.

20yrsexperience

X-Man