View Full Version : Are you allowed TS meds if the tics hurt but aren't that visible?

Naomi2
03-01-06, 05:31 AM
I think the title of this topic explains it really.

Basically, a couple of my tics are hurting from doing them so much (eyes and chest) and I was wondering if you can be prescribed medications for them even if they are not particularly visible to others and are therefore not stopping me socially.

does anyone know?
are there any alternatives to prescribed medications?
Thanks

jess
03-01-06, 09:39 AM
Sorry love dont know what do you mean by your eyes what do they repeatedly do etc...
I have a thing by which i mean my eyes whenever i close my eyes for sleep etc they are still moving about like mad in my eye socket and it really hurts and find dificult to sleep Is this a tic ?? Have you tried face massage to alleviate soreness. dont know about meds sorry. gosh the chest one must be irritating for ya hope ya find a solution. x

Naomi2
03-01-06, 12:44 PM
Sorry love dont know what do you mean by your eyes what do they repeatedly do etc...
Flicking about - left, right, up, down, etc. even when they are closed. Also narrowing and widening and eyebrows up and down slightly plus tensing and un-tensing.

I have a thing by which i mean my eyes whenever i close my eyes for sleep etc they are still moving about like mad in my eye socket and it really hurts and find dificult to sleep Is this a tic ??
Can be. It depends on the 'feel' of it, ie. when you don't do it/hold it back/need to do it, how ofetn you do it, if you feel you need to do it, etc.

Have you tried face massage to alleviate soreness. dont know about meds sorry.
I have tried rubbing and massaging my face and my dad has a couple of times, but it doesn't stop them.

gosh the chest one must be irritating for ya
It definately is. I'm worrying about it a bit. I hope it isn't harmful.

hope ya find a solution. x
Thank you :)

jess
03-01-06, 01:13 PM
Golly that must just tire you out so much . Just a random thought here but have they ever experimented with botox for torets like face tics ?? I had it once for vanity reasons and also i have a friend who is nurse in a plastic surgery and did it at sale price !! and i dunno but it could wk they also use it for people who have probbs with arm pit sweats and sweaty hands etc
You mentioned the feel of a tic well, I am not able to stop them have tried but literally the eye will nooooot stay still . Is that how your eye flickers are for you ???? Its not like i feel i need to do it i very much do not wanna do it but its like theythey are like those little wind up kid toys that swim in a bath or wind up mouse thats just off . Its a shame the massage dont work . And the chest thing what muscles are on over time there , is it like squeezing your abs in or like a puse in your tummy ?? strange question you may think sorry jess ??

jess
03-01-06, 01:19 PM
Oh just noticed you live in UK If ya want to do a private chat maybe to chat support groups ever, very little help where i live they dont even believe in adhd.adult form in fact i feel a compulsive urge to hang the lot of them ( ha ha) You see what happens on the island i live on by all accounts is that when a child or young person reaches the age of twenty and its time for them to be discharged from child mental health programme. the birthday cake is brought to them plus candles and they blow out the candle and along with a wish the adhd ocd what ever it may be MAGICALLY dissapears. fantastic that hey wheres my cake ha ha chat later jess x

Naomi2
03-01-06, 04:04 PM
Golly that must just tire you out so much .
Not really tire me so much, but it aches/becomes a bit stiff/hurts after a while and is very annoying. My tics would be considered mild though and cannot be seen by others most of the time (I hope) but can certainly be felt by me!

I also have complex motor tics too - touching certain things in certain places. I seem to 'feel' what I see mentally and if what I feel is uneven or somehow 'not right' (in a way which would be virtually impossible to explain) then I need to touch it/look at it in certain ways, doing certain things etc. (very very hard to explain). These are so annoying.

I just wonder what it would be like to be 'normal' - to make only movements I want to make, not to have to 'feel' people touching things and the positions of things etc., not to have mental tics/compulsions, to be able to concentrate, to be able to be organised, to just get started on and finish things properly, to have a proper sense of time and when deadlines, not to drift off etc. against my will etc. etc. etc.

I always feel selfish for wondering this as there are people out there with problems far worde than mine and I always try to reassure myself that I still have my problems and am still allowed to be upset about it. I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself or find sympathy, rather desperate to, well, put it this way, even with tics etc. as mild as they are, I occasionally feel trapped in my body. This is why I try not to think of all of it.

Just a random thought here but have they ever experimented with botox for torets like face tics ??
I belive they have, but as it literally paralyses certain muscles to a certain extent, I would imagine it would be only for sufferers of severe tics.

You mentioned the feel of a tic well, I am not able to stop them have tried but literally the eye will nooooot stay still . Is that how your eye flickers are for you ???? Its not like i feel i need to do it i very much do not wanna do it but its like theythey are like those little wind up kid toys that swim in a bath or wind up mouse thats just off . Its a shame the massage dont work .
I have some scontrol over it, but, well, I think the best way to describe tics is like this:

An easy way to understand how difficult it is to stop a tic is to try not to blink for as long as possible. When doing this, you will notice that as soon as you take your mind off trying not to blink, you blink by mistake. Notice also that the longer your eyes are open for, the more there is a build-up of the need to blink until you become desperate and either decide to blink or your eyes blink automatically after a while. Usually, when you do blink after this time, you will not blink just once, but many times.

You could also try to imagine that itís unusual to blink but you do it so you feel conspicuous when you are with other people. This would mean that whenever other people are around you would feel the need to prevent yourself from blinking (remember how difficult that is). At the same time, you would need to try to carry on doing everything else as normal. It would make you very tense and annoyed after a while and you would not be able to concentrate fully on everything else thatís going on around you at the same time.

Tics are awkward to know what they are because they basically feel like you yourself are doing them and you have some control over to varying degrees, but they occur over and over again without you wanting them to. So you might feel like you're making it up for some sick reason but you're not and you know you're not, because you cannot stop it, at leat not for long/not all the time (except they can be unconciously suppressed for up to a couple of hours (depending on the person) when in the presence of others and then, when alone, you may tic really badly.

And the chest thing what muscles are on over time there , is it like squeezing your abs in or like a puse in your tummy ?? strange question you may think sorry
Not strange at all. Well, first of all, please excuse the ignorance because I don't know what you mean by 'abs'. It is basically constant, jerky, repetitive, non-rhythmic pulling-in of the place just below my chest and somewhere near/at the top of my tummy. I feel it righ below my chest, but when I put my hand there I can't feel anything there but if I feel slightly lower down I can feel it there. It sort of feels more inside me a lot of the time when I do it, so I really hope I'm not damaging my heart or anything. :eek: (feel scared)

jess
03-01-06, 04:14 PM
Oh god sounds so poo to have this alll the time big hug .
by abs i meant abdominal muscles. and you explained that really well.
how many years have you had this for and do your family have signs of it too
sorry dont mean to bee too nosey just interested. jess x

jess
03-01-06, 04:16 PM
You also gave a really great discription of what it feels like and the way its beyond your controll i totally understood where you were comming from

Naomi2
03-02-06, 11:02 AM
Oh god sounds so poo to have this alll the time big hug .
Why thank you (hug accepted) :) :) :)

how many years have you had this for and do your family have signs of it too
I have had complex motor tics (touching things etc. but not to stop things from happening like in OCD, (but it's not clear-cut)) and mental tics and compulsions for as long as I can remember. I had more compulsions then, but they more or less stopped (but not completely) around the age of 10 perhaps (not sure). I have had simple motor tics since about the age of ten or maybe a bit before (can't really remember).

My mum used to have to even things up on herself like I do fo a short time when she was little, but she said it didn't last very long (transient tics?). She shows signs of some obsessive compulsive behaviour - worrying/checking - to a very mild degree.

Dad - no signs - he doesn't really seem to understand it, but I don't really know.

Maternal grandmother (mother's mother) - hoarding (also, I suspect, inattention, drifting off etc., disorganisation, basically inattentive ADD type things but can't really tell.

sorry dont mean to bee too nosey just interested.
You're not being nosey at all! :)

Naomi2
03-06-06, 02:07 PM
The eye tics are just getting worse. They're hurting practically all the time now, but apparently they're not that noticeable. Thankfully my chest tics have more or less stopped, but now I'm scared for my eyes.

I have simple and complex visual tics with them.

The only way to stop them (and it doens't always work) is to wave my arms (probably seemingly randomly if anyone could see them) in front of my face and all all over the place touching things from a distance instead of the eyes doing it (too hard to explain) and I can actually keep my eyes more or less still and they stop hurting more or less - it's the first time (I think) that I have ever had to leave the classroom to give any part of my body a break from the tics/let them out - in this case, miraculously 'channelling' them through my arms.

When I do this, I feel as if I have taken a step back towards what I used to do - touch things and 'distance touch' things, although this is much worse.

I also felt panicky for no reason. Thankfully, a nice friend (has OCD) came with me to the toilets with me. I was in there for ages and the tutor came in but she was very understanding.

Well, have to go.