View Full Version : Inflatable Chair Cushions

chloe516
03-03-06, 11:17 PM
What does everyone think of the inflatable cushions for children to sit on in school? Do you like them? Do you have concerns about children using them? I am interested in people's opinions.
Thanks!

oopsiforgot
03-05-06, 05:15 PM
I have used exercise balls with really good results. You can see the child actually focusing...gently bouncing. The motion soothes them.
I borrow the exercise balls from the PE teacher. I hadn't thought of inflatable cushions... They would definately be more inconspicuous (sp?).

Hope this helps!

ADDitives
08-30-06, 09:30 AM
chloe, you use the term "the" as if these cushions have become a standard in most schools// or as if they are the new craze with children.

is this true???? how strange!

I think it could be bad for posture. They might slump in them, and that can be really bad because theyre still growing their bones, and they might misform.

Real cushions would be better, they have more give. The exercise balls would be good too.

Have you considered whoopie cushions? :)

Proud2BAteacher
04-15-07, 05:06 PM
I have one little boy in my classroom that uses the sitNmove cushion...works gr8!
When he gets restless,I just hand it over to him.

tjmamais
04-20-07, 09:03 PM
Proud2BAteacher
What is a sitNmove cushion?

Proud2BAteacher
04-21-07, 06:05 PM
To see a picture search... sitNmove in google.

KellyD
05-02-07, 08:23 PM
from a friend. Apparently the school has seen success with them. I've been trying pillow at home....can't hurt to try.

Slowpoke
05-06-07, 02:52 PM
the exercise balls are great... for bouncing and keeping the mind focused.

there are balls that have little legs on them that are for keeping it from rolling away.

just using them for sitting is actually GOOD for posture - b/c it activatese all the muscles you need to keep your body upright.. otherwise you tend to lose your balance and fall off. for that reason students might get tired using them too much.

the wiggle cushions are great for allowing the kids to fidgit easily.
it also gives extra tactile input which helps regulate the sensory systems for some kids, and helps them to focus.

other cuchions are the wedge shaped cushions which can position the student forward. this shift in balance helps put the mind in alert mode for some kids.

another option is to allow the student to stand at his/her desk and do work if they are able to do it without disturbing others. I've seen a teacher allow this and it was great for the student. She was leaning, shifting her weight... but still doing her work, staying focused.

I have ADHD myself, and I work on-call as a Special Education Assistant, so I've seen lots of different situations through working.

Let me know if you have any questions... I might be able to help :)

chloe516
05-14-07, 09:58 PM
I guess since I've had to learn work arounds on my own, I really like to teach my students how to use what they have, rather than rely on extras like sitting on those cushions. I teach my class how to fidget appropriately. Actually, some of the chairs at school are a little wiggly on their own and I make sure the more wiggly kids get those.

I always sit in a rocking chair. :p

Smitten79
06-27-08, 11:25 PM
<INPUT id=UidCheckBox type=checkbox value=14527115 name=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPa nel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus.ui d sid="1">1: Am J Occup Ther. (javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Am J Occup Ther.');) 2003 Sep-Oct;57(5):534-41.<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2><!-- var Menu14527115 = [ ["UseLocalConfig", "jsmenu3Config", "", ""], ["LinkOut", "window.top.location='/sites/entrez?Cmd=ShowLinkOut&Db=pubmed&TermToSearch=14527115&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus' ", "", ""] ] -->*********** Links (javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu14527115);)
<DD class=abstract>
Classroom seating for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: therapy balls versus chairs.

<!--AuthorList-->Schilling DL (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Schilling%20DL%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus), Washington K (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Washington%20K%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus), Billingsley FF (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Billingsley%20FF%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus), Deitz J (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Deitz%20J%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus).
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA. missdeesg@aol.com
OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of therapy balls as seating on in-seat behavior and legible word productivity of students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Additionally, social validity was assessed to evaluate teacher and student opinions regarding the intervention. METHOD: A single subject, A-B-A-B interrupted time series design was employed across 3 students (2 males, 1 female) with ADHD. The study was conducted in a 4th grade inclusive classroom during daily language arts. During phases 1 and 3, the 3 participants and all other class members sat on chairs (in-seat on chair); during phases 2 and 4, everyone sat on therapy balls (in-seat on ball). Dependent variables were in-seat behavior and legible word productivity. Data were graphed and visually analyzed for differences between phases. RESULTS: Results demonstrated increases in in-seat behavior and legible word productivity for the students with ADHD when seated on therapy balls. Social validity findings indicated that generally the teacher and students preferred therapy balls. CONCLUSION: This study provides evidence that use of therapy balls for students with ADHD may facilitate in-seat behavior and legible word productivity.
PMID: 14527115 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
</DD>

Chelsea17
07-17-08, 01:12 PM
Oh, the Sit N' Move seat! I LOVE them! No, I don't use it now. The little girl I babysit uses one. She has ADHD, the seat helps her to sit and have a meal with me. She is more focused and able to complete a task while sitting in one.

roseblood
07-29-08, 12:18 PM
What a great idea. Are they made just for children? I could do with something like that for a lot of sitting down tasks, even watching TV. Gently bouncing on a wooden chair doesn't feel like it's doing my back any good.

Chelsea17
07-29-08, 02:31 PM
no, they make them for adults too ;)