View Full Version : I've got the Depression and ADD Blues...

babette111
03-08-06, 12:50 PM
... the Reds and the Pinks.
One thing's for sure:
This stinks.
:cool:

Hi all - it's my first real post - I'm so excited!

Here's my question along with a request for some advice or info.

I'm currently taking Paxil for depression which is doing a great job. I feel much better than I did 6 months ago, which is a really good thing.. I'm also taking Wellbutrin to counteract the Paxil's sexual side effects. Not sure how well it's helping so I'm planning on talking to my dr. about stopping that.

Since my depression reallys tems fomr my inability to deal with my ADHD, we decided I'd try some meds for that. I've tried Ritalin, Adderall (which only got me racing... although I lost 12 pounds! I can see why this stuff can be abused)

Now I'm on Pamelor because my dr. said it's had some success with help ADHD symptoms. So far (after about 3 weeks) I'm not impressed and boy, is my mouth dry. Strike 3.

Now I'm hoping we can try Strattera (my dr. had not prescribed it before so she was hesitant and wanted to find out more about it).

But while doing my own research, I'm not seeing much info about ADHD that won't respond to Ritalin or those types of meds. I'm starting to think I'm alone with this problem. Has anyone ever expereinced this?

Scattered
03-08-06, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the forums, Babbette!:) Glad to hear the Paxil is helping with the depression. Wellbutrin is actually a medication that is commonly prescribed for ADHD because it helps increase the dopamine levels (as well as helping the sexual appetitite). According to Hallowell and Ratey (Driven to Distraction; Delivered from Distraction) 10 - 20 percent of folks don't respond to current ADD medications. I've read that of those who do respond another 30 to 45% do not achieve full normalization of their symptoms (I fall in this group -- meds help me a lot but I still have a number of ADD symptoms, only milder). Hopefully your doctor will be able to find a combination that works well for you. Reading and learning all you can about ADHD helps too and getting support and adding structures and strategies to your life to help deal with your ADD. Hallowell and Ratey's books have a very useful list of non medication suggestions for managing ADD. You might also enjoy Sari Solden's book Women with Attention Deficit Disorder -- lots of great information about how ADD shows up in women and adjustments one can make.

You didn't mention if you had the "H" in ADHD. From what I've read about 90% of ADHD folks respond to stimulants but only 30% of ADD folks are clinical responders (there's some improvement but not necessarily enough to continue the medications). I've heard forum members share that Strattera was frequently useful for inattentive ADD.

Hope you enjoy the forums -- see you around the boards!

Scattered

babette111
03-09-06, 02:36 PM
Hi Scattered - thanks for the info!

Nope, I don't have the 'H' - my symptoms are strictly inattentive issues.

Also, thanks for the info on the books - both of those are on my "to read" list but I find I can't get thru many books about ADD. The Sari Solden book was one of my first regarding the disorder and I just couldn't concentrate enough to get much out if it. That's how bad it is.

I really, really want to go back to school but I'm afraid I won't be able to do the work. I have a PDA and about 17 other things set-up to help me remember all sorts of things. I do have my own little systems that work for me but I still find myself constantly getting pulled away from stuff I need to be doing. I would *love* to get a medication to help with that. I think if it helped even a little, I'd be 'way ahead.

peridot
09-25-06, 01:07 AM
I think caffeine helps my ADD, but lately I've been waking up at 3 in the morning and staying awake for 2-3 hours with restless leg. So I decided to cut back on the caffeine, but it doesn't really seem to be helping. I take medication for depression and have for 18 years, and I haven't had a MD episode since, but .... I'm not really sure what I'm driving at here. I finally became convinced that I was ADD (after initial disbelief - major disbelief; my pdoc had to keep saying, "Just consider it. Read up on it." He'd known me for 15 years at that point so I was inclined to at least consider his opinion) when I realized that caffeine made me sleepy. But right now my sleep pattern is driving me crazy (ecch,I hate to use that word lightly, like a layperson who is not one of we few, we happy few who are certifiable), as is my family, and the reaction I seem to get when I talk about history and politics and use more than one syllable words. Maybe I should just go drink some Diet Pepsi.
First, I'll try to achieve coherence for a sentence or two. While the caffeine deprivation may be causing me to be even less mentally organized than usual, the rest of my funk has been around for months now. Since my former MD episodes recurred about every 2-3 years and involved great fear and agitation, I don't know quite how to categorize or understand my current apathy, hypersomnia (with interruptions) etc. I'm wondering what gives.