View Full Version : Immediate Vs. Extended Release

ADHDDeeJay
03-08-06, 02:31 PM
I'm hoping to hear of experiences by people who have tried both the immediate and extended release versions of whatever stimulant they are on. Which one was more effective? (Obviously I'm assuming you had to take the immediate release a few times a day)

Matt S.
03-08-06, 09:29 PM
i take a combo of both with dexedrine because they are a bit archaic as far as how the "spansule" version works and it takes a bit if i dont have an immediate release to start the day and after ritalin and concerta and adderall both ir and xr this seems to be the effective dosing method... it worked when i was a kid but my doctor likes the newer versions and wanted to see how they may work

lostnadesert
03-08-06, 10:59 PM
I have been taking Concerta for some time now and find the level of distribution very effective over Ritilin and other scripts. Around 20 min. after taking it I feel the effects. The good thing about Concerta for me is I do not feel the ups and downs as I did with others because the declination in distribution is not noticeable to me. The "coming down" part is not as hard on me as it was when I was others. I have some mood changes later in the day but they are not as severe. The Concerta is suppose to work for 12 hrs but I have found it to be effective for 8 to 10 hrs on the highest dose which is 54mg, and much depends on how mentally and physically active you were that day you took it. Not only do I sleep better but I wake up feeling less "groggy" and much more normal. As far as the appetite, well It is the same as any other stimulant which is less for me. The overall view of Concerta in my opinion is is very good. Once a day dose and very few side effects, it's a "low maintainance" script for me and very effective. Of course with any medication it takes time to adjust to it with the amount you take. I started with 27mg and I kept going until I felt "normal". Of course this may differ with you but stick with it, stay positive and never give up! Although non ADD people will never realize what we struggle with each and every day with what comes so easy for them, we know we are far more creative and can predict others feelings and know where they are coming from whether they realize it or not. We are gifted in our own way, and in one way or another people envy us!!!

LittlePrincess
03-09-06, 11:38 PM
I prefer Adderall XR to regular Adderall because it feels MUCH smoother on the way up and down. I also do not experience as many side effects like headache and spaciness.

attention
03-21-06, 06:58 AM
I have taken generic M-date for 2 years, with good and no so results. I tried SR20mg tabs a month ago, and it was like a different drug. after 1.5 hrs (2, 20mg SRs) it started and felt like i had drunk 10 Coffees, and lasted for 7 hrs-horrible, i prefer the convience of the IR tabs-take when needed, and easier to manage around my tasks. Althought starting Effexor tomorrow may see some changes?:rolleyes:

akmorgan215
03-21-06, 02:10 PM
I'm on the immediate 30mg. I am supposed to take 2 a day, but sometimes I don't because it effects my going to sleep. I also took The XR and had horrible mood swings...felt sick to my stomach and had a recurring headache (maybe on the way down...but sometimes a few hours after taking it). I asked my doc to give me the immediate that i started with and no lo nger get headaches.

chloe516
03-21-06, 10:38 PM
I take Concerta 36 mg once per day. I think I may ask my Dr. about taking a second pill. I think 36 is slightly low, maybe 54mg will be what I need. But Concerta only lasts 5-6 hours for me and is not enough to last through my work day.

thinkdifferent
03-27-06, 07:19 PM
when i first started meds, i took 20mg ritalin la around 10am. i didn't like how it suddenly dropped off around 7pm & made me very irritable. i started experimenting with doses of immediate release methylphenidate (generic ritalin) about a month ago. the prescribed dosage of 10mg every 4 hours had me crashing every 4 hours. what seems to work for me now is 15mg at 10am & 5mg every 2-2.5 hours with the last 5mg dose around dinner time. setting alarms on my treo helps me remember to take the meds.

meriellyn
04-10-06, 09:21 PM
I tried Concerta 36mg and was unimpressed. Aside from making me ill, 12hrs is often way too long for me since my schedule has not been like that regularly. I am now on Adderall IR. I like the flexibility. I'm still working on regulating my schedule so I like being able to choose 4, 8, or 12hrs.
I haven't had trouble remembering to take it yet. That's saying a lot considering I have never been good at remembering things I have to take more than once a day with any regularity.

Iwalani8
04-11-06, 05:40 PM
I have been taking 3 5mg tabs of Dextroamphetamine in the morning and 2 tabs in the afternoon. I have been doing this for at least a few months, and I am no longer having any of the effects I used to, meaning I am overly tired, and still distracted. I have tried taking two 15mg of the Dextro SR in the morning and it seems to be very helpful. I'm confused because apparently these are the same drugs, just dosed at different times, but the difference in effect is major. Does anyone know why this is? I have an appointment with my doctor to tell her the tabs do nothing for me anymore. I hope she has some help for me.