View Full Version : New hope for focus? Anyone heard of transparentcorp?

Wander
03-09-06, 06:23 PM
This seems really interesting, I'm tempted to give it a try, it involves some type of suggestive/brainwave thing?

They have their own forum too. The only thing is that if it is so powerful how come it isn't more mainstream? I will probably get it.......just in case it works.

Sometimes I feel I go from one promising "cure" to another, not really getting anywhere. Vitamins, weird head message thing, biofeedback, diets.......want to really get on the right track with something that has validity. Progress would be nice.

I'm sure plenty of you can relate.

Any comments or experience with this transparentcorp?
Thanks!

http://www.transparentcorp.com/

speedo
03-09-06, 06:32 PM
It has no real basis in science or medicine. No matter how you package it, it is cognitive therapy. Cognitive therapy is not very effective with ADHD, since ADHD is organic in origin, not psychological in origin.

Furthermore, the use of SPECT imaging and TOVA to validate their claims is worthless, since neither one is proven to do what they claim.

As far as I am concerned, the whole thing is a sham.

Me :D

This seems really interesting, I'm tempted to give it a try, it involves some type of suggestive/brainwave thing?

They have their own forum too. The only thing is that if it is so powerful how come it isn't more mainstream? I will probably get it.......just in case it works.

Sometimes I feel I go from one promising "cure" to another, not really getting anywhere. Vitamins, weird head message thing, biofeedback, diets.......want to really get on the right track with something that has validity. Progress would be nice.

I'm sure plenty of you can relate.

Any comments or experience with this transparentcorp?
Thanks!

http://www.transparentcorp.com/

chameleon
03-09-06, 06:40 PM
I tried that. My ADD psychologist gave me one to take home and try for a while. It made me very sick - nauseous and irritated. My psych's nurse called the company to report my side effects and they said they'd never heard of that response before, but it sure made me feel awful.
It's not mainstream because there's no real studies to prove it's effectiveness.
My ADD psych was a bit of a hocus-pocus doc, he tried other weird stuff on me too.
Maybe it will do something for you. I think that the power of suggestion alone might make it useful, if it doesn't make you sick and angry like it did me.
Have you tried the clip-on-your-ears electroshock therapy unit yet? You wear it around, being zapped as you go about your business. He had me use that too. :eek::faint:
When you use the brainwave machine you're considering getting, you have to have quite a bit of time to lay down with it on daily (the glasses and head phones) and that time must be undisturbed. If you can nap during it, it's more bearable. Gives you freakish dreams though.
Looking back on the experience, it seems like I was in the movie Clockwork Orange :p

Also, the rest of my family tried it too, and they didn't like it either, although it didn't make them sick or irritable.

chameleon
03-09-06, 06:48 PM
I think Speedo is right, because if I was to buy one of the machines - my psych was trying to get me to buy it from him. He couldn't prescribe meds because he wasn't a psychiatrist, so he tried other methods on me instead of just sending me to a doc that could give me meds. :mad:
I'm sure he would have made a profit from selling me the gizmo...along with all the other gizmos he tried to sell me. VERY expensive. At least from him. He wanted to sell me a pair of "custom made" tinted glasses just for me and my visual hypersensitivity...would'a cost me several thousand dollars. He said a friend of his made them...

mctavish23
03-09-06, 07:24 PM
There's no research to substantiate that it works for ADHD.

speedo
03-09-06, 07:30 PM
Interestingly enough. In austrailia, some doctors test the visual frequency response of their aspie patients who have visual hypersensitivity and have custom sunglasses made. The idea is to reduce the amplitude of the most troublesome wavelength..... for eample, if you are avery sensitive to red wavelengths, green tinted sunglasses may be helpful in reducing your sensory load.

I had a gf who was hypersensitive to red light, and she wore green tinted glasses with side shields to reduce problems. Her glasses were cheap plastic and cost $2 at Wallgreens. She was also totally colorblind.

I don't see why tinted glasses have to be expensive. Maybe it is the medical testing.

amazing, eh ?

Scattered
03-09-06, 07:58 PM
Furthermore, the use of SPECT imaging and TOVA to validate their claims is worthless, since neither one is proven to do what they claim.
This product may be a sham -- I have no information on that, but my understand is that the TOVA while not required to make a diagnosis isn't a sham. It can help fine tune medication use. It produces too many false negatives, but my understand is that the positives are pretty accurate. I've had a TOVA -- I thought it was useful inside the parameters of a psychological workup along with the history -- it gave me information I didn't have before about my ADD.
Scattered

mctavish23
03-09-06, 08:35 PM
I must have missed the part about the Tova. Either way, there's nothing to support this.

The TOVA's reputation for being completely inappropriate for diagnosing ADHD is well known.

Bottom line, this doesn't work.

Wander
03-10-06, 12:31 PM
But I guess the main reason I posted about this in the first place is because I was a little scared of the idea. I skimmed thru the posts on their forum and somebody said they were able to erase the memory of co-workers they didn't get along with. And even though the poster used to see these people everyday, he then stopped noticing them after he supposedly erased their memories.

Isn't that weird.

That's also strange about your experience, Chameleon. I have gone to some weird doctors too. I never did any kind of shock therapy....wow! I had one guy listen to my pulse and that's how he could tell what was going on with my body, I would always leave with a huge bag of vitamins and homeopathic remedies. I actually believed him too. Another guy told me I had to start sleeping with my head facing south....or something like that. A psychic healing lady gave me vitamins and told me never to drink coke, especially on an empty stomach, because it will eventually eat at my insides (I still worry about that one). I guess I could go on and on....:). I'm a little less naive now......a little. :)

Scattered, I think you know much more about these things than I do. What is TOVA? I did biofeedback before (like playing a video game), is that the same?
What do you mean by false negatives.

And Speedo, I think you are right about the ORIGIN of ADD not being psychological but does that really mean that you can't change something that's organic by way of psychological means? Just curious.

Thanks for your comments....by the way. So much valuable experience and ideas in this forum!

mctavish23
03-10-06, 03:08 PM
The TOVa is one of several CPT's (Continous Performance Tests (computer tests) that claim to diagnose ADHD.

The truth is that research consistently shows a high rate of "false negatives ( you really have ADHD and it misses you because you "hyperfocused").

Traditionally, 50 % of people already diagnosed with ADHD, passed with flying colors.

Thats no better than flipping a coin.

Scattered
03-10-06, 03:20 PM
The TOVa is one of several CPT's (Continous Performance Tests (computer tests) that claim to diagnose ADHD.

The truth is that research consistently shows a high rate of "false negatives ( you really have ADHD and it misses you because you "hyperfocused").

Traditionally, 50 % of people already diagnosed with ADHD, passed with flying colors.

Thats no better than flipping a coin.I know this is true -- but there aren't a lot of false positives are there? It was helpful for me to see how impulsive I was. I honestly had no idea (however, when I expressed skeptism to my family -- they definately saw me as impulsive).

Scattered

mctavish23
03-10-06, 03:55 PM
I've only heard criticisms about high rates of false negatives.

My anecdotal experience in re-doing non-evidenced based ADHD evals with an evidence based one, has been 100% false negatives.

That has no bearing on the TOVA, but it does provide anecdotal info on what I see (everyday) as kids who have ADHD being missed.

Scattered
03-10-06, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info McT!:)

speedo
03-10-06, 08:27 PM
Wanderer

Congnitive therapy will do nothing for ADHD. BUT congnitive therapy is very good for helping one to develop coping strategies and social skills needed to live with ADHD.

In a nutshell, thinking positive thoughts will not change your physical attributes in any way, but can help you to think about your attributes in a different way... which may be useful.

ME :D

But I guess the main reason I posted about this in the first place is because I was a little scared of the idea. I skimmed thru the posts on their forum and somebody said they were able to erase the memory of co-workers they didn't get along with. And even though the poster used to see these people everyday, he then stopped noticing them after he supposedly erased their memories.

Isn't that weird.

That's also strange about your experience, Chameleon. I have gone to some weird doctors too. I never did any kind of shock therapy....wow! I had one guy listen to my pulse and that's how he could tell what was going on with my body, I would always leave with a huge bag of vitamins and homeopathic remedies. I actually believed him too. Another guy told me I had to start sleeping with my head facing south....or something like that. A psychic healing lady gave me vitamins and told me never to drink coke, especially on an empty stomach, because it will eventually eat at my insides (I still worry about that one). I guess I could go on and on....:). I'm a little less naive now......a little. :)

Scattered, I think you know much more about these things than I do. What is TOVA? I did biofeedback before (like playing a video game), is that the same?
What do you mean by false negatives.

And Speedo, I think you are right about the ORIGIN of ADD not being psychological but does that really mean that you can't change something that's organic by way of psychological means? Just curious.

Thanks for your comments....by the way. So much valuable experience and ideas in this forum!

mctavish23
03-11-06, 01:30 PM
Well said Speedo.

Cognitive therapy does NOT work for hyperactive kids ( ADHD-P HI & Combined types).

The reason for that is that the reinforcers ( or information to be learned) MUST occur at the "point of performance."

That translates to ..where the behavior took place.

"Point of Performance" came from the work of 2 of the best ADHD researchers, Sam Goldstein & Barbara Ingersoll (1993).