View Full Version : Air Ionizers / Ionic Air Filters

InattentiveType
10-18-03, 12:48 AM
Does anyone use one of these products regularly at home or work?

I've heard great things about them for allergies so I've been reading about them. Some of the things are leading me to believe that it may be beneficial for ADD symptoms as well. Especially since many people see a possible link between allergies and ADD.

Any experiences?

Allergy Related:
Kroger Health - Ionized Air (http://www.kroger.com/HN_Therapy/Ionized_Air.htm)
Penn State - Negative Ion Study (http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/wjk/negion.html)

Depression Related:
Columbia University Study (http://www.biopsychiatry.com/sadion.htm)

tudorose
10-18-03, 09:59 PM
I haven't found the ionizer to be very effective but I do have a vapourizer. It's great. It pumps steam into the air and settles the dust in the room (where we live it's very dry and there is a lot of pollen in the air). It makes a bubbling noise too so it helps you get to sleep. It keeps the sinuses clear as well.

elSenor
10-19-03, 12:05 AM
I use both a mechanical HEPA filter and an electrostatic ionizing HEPA filter. They seem to work equally well and I haven't noticed any of the psychological benefits reported in those studies. The electrostatic filter was much more expensive but it doesn't require the costly filter replacements that the mechanical unit needs.

Closing the windows and turning on the filter makes a HUGE difference when allergy season arrives.

-Mike

InattentiveType
10-20-03, 10:16 AM
tudorose, do you run the ionizer & humidifier @ the same time?

If you do I would suggest trying to not use them simultaneously. Apparently the ionizers work best with dry air to begin with and also if you use them with a humidifier the negative ions can bind to the water molecules and form positive ions which supposedly have been shown to cause depression in some people.

Maybe run your ionizer while you're not home then turn it off and use the humidifier while you're home.

InattentiveType
10-20-03, 10:23 AM
elSenor,
I use both a mechanical HEPA filter and an electrostatic ionizing HEPA filter. They seem to work equally well and I haven't noticed any of the psychological benefits reported in those studies.
From what I've read, the psychological benefits beyond those from cleaner air are only experienced when you have a ionizer that releases negative ions into the air vs just inside the filter. Also, proper positioning of the ionizer in the room as well as air circulation appear to be critical.

When mine arrives I'm going to place it on top of a dresser which is near a ceiling fan. Hopefully this way any of the ions that exit the filter will circulate a bit before attaching to other molecules.

spasepeepole
12-29-03, 11:02 PM
well whatever we do we need to do something. My husband tested recently and is allergic to about 25 things. Those include our parrots and guinea pigs. He gets allergy shots but those don't work well. Sharper image here I come!

healthwiz
12-30-03, 03:07 AM
Consumer Reports has an issue recently that rates the ionizers. There is a gigantic difference in quality between the brands and models. The one from Sharper image did virutally nothing according to their report. Some of the other models did excellent. Check it out before you purchase. I think you can get the reports on line.

Jonathan

faceonmars
01-17-04, 12:49 PM
they can't hurt. there's anecdotal suggestion that they improve mood and concentration. I did read in some othe forum that a teacher sits her hyperactive or disruptive students near one, I think it was the "Ionic Breeze", and supppsedly it works.

Nautilus
05-05-12, 02:31 PM
I have a combo HEPA/ionizer.

It works well to keep the air fresh. I don't notice any mood benefits other than what you would expect if you're not breathing in dust or stinky stuff. But then, my mood is fairly stable in any case.