View Full Version : My First Support Group Meeting

WHOLELOTTASOUL
03-16-06, 11:49 PM
Hey Everybody!
I went to my first meeting tonite and it was wonderful.

My non-ADD wife noticed many similarities between me and other people.

This meeting was about career choices,and they also had a disability lawyer there.

I am looking forward to more meetings :):)

QueensU_girl
03-20-06, 12:46 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I am feeling Very Very discouraged about meeting any other Adult ADDers.

People contact me out of the blue, and then they seem to not follow-thru.

Very frustrating for me !!

Lunacie
03-20-06, 10:57 AM
We have been very frustrated with our area support group. I know I've completely forgotten which night it was on and missed it. I've showed up on the wrong night and waited for others to show up. Some have come late because they got lost. Some got lost and went back home.

But even if there are only two of us there, it's so great to talk with someone who really understands, so many "uh huh" moments. ;)

chameleon
03-20-06, 11:08 AM
omg I'm sorry but this has turned into a hilarious thread!
Trying to get ADDers to show up on time to meetings is like watching blind teams play football :p

chameleon
03-20-06, 11:11 AM
The only reason we manage to find our way back here is because of bookmarking and computers are too big to lose! :D

I actually couldn't find my way back here for a few months because reformatted and couldn't remember my password! Had to turn the Earth upside down to get back in! LOL

Lunacie
03-20-06, 01:08 PM
I use the same screen name and password on all the discussion boards I post on. And I use the same avatar too. Otherwise I'd be reading a thread and thinking that there was a really smart post - or a really dumb one - and then I'd realize that I had written it ! :eek:

madd
03-22-06, 10:00 PM
I've been going to an ADD support group for several months now and I'm disenchanted as well. Nothing really gets done in my group. It would be more accurately described as informal chat amongst strangers. People feel no need to show up regularly. New people show up, may or may not be introduced, may or may not join in the discussion and we never see them again. Funy thing is, there is no concensus for change. Nobody really cares.

MaxDad
03-24-06, 12:15 AM
My first experience with a support group was this past monday. To say it was weird is an understatement. The group leader started by asking the person to his right to start the introductions. She made some comment about an ADD-like symptom, and then this group leader starting telling her everything he knew about ADD, and what she needs to do and not do.

This older gentleman went on for 30 minutes non-stop before the rest of us could politely interrupt and re-start the conversation. So a few minutes later, this guy admits that he has not been on ADD meds for 6 years!

LOL

It was like an AA meeting being run by someone who was drunk.

Fortunately I will go back. There were some good people there and hopefully the group leader will have forgetfulness symptoms on the next meeting day.

madd
03-24-06, 02:05 AM
MaxDad, I think we were at the same meeting:D. No, seriously that sounds alot like one of ours. The first meeting I went to we spent 2 hrs doing introductions, then it was time to go. Period.