View Full Version : Songs Pop into Brain?

Kokomo
03-20-06, 12:21 AM
Anyone else feel like they have songs popping in their head all the time? There are some mornings and times that I catch myself humming and signing before I realize I am even doing it. There are other times that, regardless of your situation or circumstance, I can think of a song almost instantly that matches your situation.

The usual caveat..if this ain't you, ignore this post and forget how crazy ole Kokomo is...if you have this too, tell me more!!

chameleon
03-20-06, 05:10 AM
I don't normally have songs intrude in my head, but at one time I worked with a fun group of people and we enjoyed putting songs in each others heads -
annoying songs like Sesame Street an ad jingle.
It's hard to feel cool when you have, "Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street!" bellowing in your head :p

madd
03-20-06, 10:40 AM
It may be the impulsive side of my add but I tend to hum along with the songs in my head while I'm at work. Nobody's complained yet, and I've been doing it for years. (My voice, though untrained, ain't bad if I do say so myself) Occaisionally I even break into song.

mccoffee
03-20-06, 11:27 AM
a@@hole by dennis leary

chameleon
03-20-06, 02:24 PM
Now that song's gonna be in my head all day mccoffee!

Jaycee
03-20-06, 04:22 PM
KoKomo,
Songs pop into my head all the time...sometimes they are familiar faves and sometimes they are just a product of my overactive brain. If you're fortunate enough to have the second, write em down and get em published. I've parlayed mine into a sideline as a lyricist...there are times when ADHD comes in handy.

EYEFORGOT
03-20-06, 04:48 PM
A word inspires a song for me...for example...every time I see your username the song clicks on in my head...

Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take you to
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama
Key Largo Montego, baby why don't we go
Ooh I wanna take you down to
Kokomo, we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go, way down in Kokomo.

I really hate you for this. :P

runinl8
03-20-06, 05:21 PM
A word inspires a song for me...for example...every time I see your username the song clicks on in my head...

I really hate you for this. :P
LOL - everytime I see a post from Kokomo I start singing this song in my head too.

Kokomo
03-20-06, 07:39 PM
Sorry....Bermuda.....

chloe516
03-20-06, 07:47 PM
LOL - everytime I see a post from Kokomo I start singing this song in my head too.
Me too! Especially with his old avatar, the bright tropical pictures.

When I see chameleon's I think "karma karma karma karma karma chameleon!"

I always randomly break out in song. My life is like a musical! Good thing I am an elementary school teacher, my class usually just starts singing along if they know the words! ;) :D

chameleon
03-20-06, 08:02 PM
Interesting Chloe...so if your life had background music, what would the song be and why?
Question to everyone else too.

chloe516
03-20-06, 08:06 PM
Isn't there a thread similar to that??

Hmmmmm, my theme song..."My bonnie lies over the ocean..."

Really can't think of one right now, I'll have to get back to you on that one!

I prefer to think my life has a soundtrack rather than just one song! :p ;)

mctavish23
03-20-06, 10:37 PM
Try sitting on the front row at Mass (something my wife likes to do) and then have "Iron Man" pop into your head.

Kokomo
03-20-06, 10:51 PM
Try sitting on the front row at Mass (something my wife likes to do) and then have "Iron Man" pop into your head.
Oh...that's hilarious!! We have a game for the PS2 called Guitar Hero...my kids love to jam Iron Man!!! So funny! Glad so many of you have stereos in your head too!

I will have to bring back the other avatar soon, I miss it, but thought Spicoli would be a nice change of pace!

DimensionX
03-21-06, 04:05 AM
...wait u mean people don't have songs playing in their head most of the time?

i seem to link words to songs which can be quite irritating since words tend to be a commonly used thing, i could be talking to a mate and he could say something like "back" and i'ld link that to "baby come back!, budda bye bye bye bye bye budda bye bye bye bye, i admit i was a clown to be messing around, but that doesn't mean that u have to leave town, come back, come back with my colour tv and my cd collection of bob marley"....omg i can't believe i remembered all those words, i haven't heard that song for ages lol, and i never really listened to it that much...but ANYway, thats an example lol

unfortunately since i'm kinda music oriantated i have a vast array of music stored in my head, one for every occation, i was at a funeral and u know the song take 5, never have that going through ur head during a funeral because the unusual time signature detracts from the overall morbidity of the event.

*curse bil bailey for pointing it out*

....i can't stay mad at bb, he's too much of a musically genious...ok stopping now i think i've rambled a lil

mejasha
05-31-06, 02:54 PM
Definetely know what you are talking about. I always have music in my head. I am constantly humming to some known or unknown tune at all times. I actually will play music on purpose just to get the unwanted commercial-like song out of my head that is driving me crazy. I also have music pop in my head to match what is going on in the outside world. I also write lyrics and melody.

It is really funny when I start humming or singing a song that goes along with the circumstances and I realize that it is a song that I wrote myself years ago that I had forgotten about.

My life would definetely not be just one song. Maybe a boxed set that comes with a musical dvd. I actually do have the beginnings of a musical life story in my head. I am still waiting for the ending to give it though. If I ended with my life right now it might be a let down.
Thanks for reading. Lol & God bless.

chloe516
05-31-06, 06:52 PM
Try being a teacher and having inappropriate songs stuck in your head! I live in fear of accidentally singing it out loud!!!! :eek:

I have no clue why, it's an old song now, but I keep getting that song "I'm in Love With a Stripper" stuck in my head!!! One time it was stuck in there for three days straight!!! :eek: :faint:

mejasha
05-31-06, 08:11 PM
That'd be a nightmare. The only way I have found to get those annoying songs out of my head is to insert another annoying song that is maybe slightly less annoying or more appropriate. Do normal people have these problems?
Thanks for reading. God bless.

mejasha
05-31-06, 08:13 PM
:o Sorry! I didn't mean to call anyone abnormal. Lol!:o

Crazy~Feet
05-31-06, 10:52 PM
Well mejasha my own father claims to be normal and has been known to break into commercial jingles..."Raise your hand, if you're SURE!". He also dances to musak in grocery stores. He also asks the cat's advice "Whaddya say Moppet? Do we want mustard on this sandwich?".

He still claims to normal. ;)

mejasha
06-01-06, 06:41 PM
I have been known to dance to a good song (or even a halfway decent one) in the grocery store. Jingles are always the ones that get stuck in your head. If I had a cat I would talk to it. All I have are 2 lizards. They are not very responsive. Then again I've never known a cat to answer either.

Kokomo
06-05-06, 07:33 PM
I love to dance whenever possible...cracks my twin 5 yr olds up!! LOL! Singing in the rain is one of my favorite dance and sing songs! LOL!

Matt S.
06-05-06, 07:47 PM
I tend to get the most annoying songs stuck in my head... like in 2000 when I was goth to the extreme and I remember suffering with "oops I did it again" from britney spears and stupid ones like that...

Kokomo
06-05-06, 07:51 PM
Anyone ever hear of the song "put the lotion in the basket"- a song/pardody based on the Silence of the Lambs movie? It's the most non-pc song ever, but when I hear it, it sticks in my head for hours. I won't post the link cause I don't want to hear it again!! LOL!

meadd823
06-05-06, 08:59 PM
I have done that it seems to happen most when I am “under the gun”

I get melodies or parts of songs stuck some times…even if I know the whole song just part of it will “stick”…….

Thanks to Cham I now have sesame street song going……..gravy.

Aizlyne
06-06-06, 06:21 PM
lol. sometimes I won't even have a song. Just a part of a song that repeats over and over...usually ti's from a musical.

Crazy~Feet
06-06-06, 06:24 PM
Lately I am stuck with the refrain from a video game character's theme music...the rest is in latin :eek:....

Hmmm SEPHIROTH!!

sehrita
06-06-06, 06:27 PM
For some reason I have been getting this song called "jam on it" stuck in my head

I usually sing it in high pitch voice:

Jam on it
Jam on it
Jam Jam Jam Jam Jam
Jam on it

Also, I also have this other song stuck in my head about some guys mouth grill:

Whatchu lookin at?!?! Your grilll Your grill Your your your Grill!

For some reason when I sing these two out loud it cracks me up and drives my boyfriend buggy. heh o.O

Captain Da Da
06-06-06, 07:09 PM
I love music.

Mostly it's songs that I enjoy that get lodged in my head, but occationally it's those ones that I don't like that get in there and annoy me into oblivian... because they won't go away.:rolleyes:

Crazy~Feet
06-06-06, 07:12 PM
I love music.

Mostly it's songs that I enjoy that get lodged in my head, but occationally it's those ones that I don't like that get in there and annoy me into oblivian... because they won't go away.:rolleyes:The way to kill an earworm is to twist it out of shape. Make it into another song. Something worse, or funnier. I have a thread here about that somewhere....

mejasha
06-07-06, 12:49 AM
I love to dance whenever possible...cracks my twin 5 yr olds up!! LOL! Singing in the rain is one of my favorite dance and sing songs! LOL!OMG That is too weird. :p I sing that a lot too! :) I was singing it outside today while I was walking with a resident and I started laughing at myself :D because it was a beautiful day with absolutely no rain.:cool: It got cloudy this evening but the afternoon was beautiful.:)

mejasha
06-07-06, 12:57 AM
I tend to get the most annoying songs stuck in my head... like in 2000 when I was goth to the extreme and I remember suffering with "oops I did it again" from britney spears and stupid ones like that...I totally hate that song with a passion and I am so mad at you for typing those dreaded words :mad: and now that I think about it I am totally mad at myself for quoting you so that someone else will read them. :o :mad:
That is an ADD nightmare song that pops into your head whenever you make the same mistake again and again like we always do. Oops I almost did it again!:o :rolleyes: :D

boardtabitz
06-07-06, 01:03 AM
I get songs stuck in my head that I don't really know the words to and it drives me absolutely crazy. Today that one that has the line statues crumble for me the same few lines which I'm not going to put here because they are probably such a distortion of what the real words are that I would die of embarrassment. Why did it pop into my head? I hardly ever listen to the radio and the house was quiet at the time.

Iwalani8
06-07-06, 03:20 AM
I woke up today and found myself singing a song that I haven't heard for about 10 years, somewhat obscure, and thought that it would be cool to hear it, but what are the chances of that.... after my lunch break i was listening to KEXP.org, and the song actually came on. it. was. weird.

but ya, i wake up from deep sleeps with random songs in my head too.

*~ §EEK ~*
06-07-06, 04:22 AM
My mind is a constant 24 Hr. Radio Station playing that I compulsively tune in to regularly!
3 days ago, I walked past a Radio playing oldies that had the Soft Cell song "Tainted Love" playiing!
So for the past 3 days I constantly hear in my head:

Sometimes I feel I've got to.....(Bang Bang)
Run away
I've got to......(Bang Bang)
Get away
From the pain...........etc.

It doesn't even matter that I can't remember any of the other Lyrics to the song!
All my brain needed was those few lines of lyrics and it's now stuck in my mind as if there was a crack in the record and it just skips back to the beginning and starts all over!

(Bang Bang) Run away.........I've got to......(Bang Bang)......Get away

:D LMAO, OMG, Now that I have typed (Bang Bang) so dang many times in this post, I just noticed that my "Soft Cell" song is finally gone! Yahoo....!!!!!!!!!! :D

However, now I have the Beatles playing:
(Bang Bang) Maxwell's silver hammer came down on her head......!!!!!!!! LOL :D

Oh well, Thank you all for getting rid of 3 days of constant "Soft Cell" playing!

I'm actually relieved and I'm going to run with Maxwell Edison for a while!

(Bang Bang) hehehe :D

Peace,
*~ §EEK ~*

mejasha
06-07-06, 06:13 AM
That'd be a nightmare. The only way I have found to get those annoying songs out of my head is to insert another annoying song that is maybe slightly less annoying or more appropriate. Do normal people have these problems?
Thanks for reading. God bless.
Told ya! IT WORKS! :cool:

lunaslobo
01-06-07, 11:59 PM
all this time the music has been in my head, :cool: here I thought it was the background music for my life. hmmm who knew.

lilyfrog60
01-08-07, 01:41 AM
I get the obnoxious children's songs I sometimes play for my son stuck in my head. Anyone heard of Laurie Berkner?
"Victor Vito and Freddy Vasco
Ate a burrito with Tabasco
They put it on their beans
They put it on their rice
On their rudabegas
and on their collard greens...."

OVER AND OVER AND OVER....sometimes even just a little ryme from a book will swim through my head for days.

"Jack and Jill went up the hill...."

Someone else posted about waking up with songs stuck...I SO do that. Usually whatever has been stuck from the night before...As soon as I open my eyes, it starts all over. Sometimes just random songs though.

After hearing Raffi's Brush your teeth song for days, I am jealous of you who have grown up songs stuck in your heads!!

swivelhead
01-08-07, 09:00 AM
...i'm often plagued by theme songs from old sitcoms~ particularly Sanford & Son and I Dream of Jeannie. On good days i get The Jeffersons.

~boots~
01-08-07, 09:06 AM
if I had been taught by SONG, or RHYME, I'd remember everything...I have jingles from adverts from 10-20-30 years ago, spinning in my head ALL the time :-)

xstarchildx
01-08-07, 09:24 AM
Anyone else feel like they have songs popping in their head all the time? There are some mornings and times that I catch myself humming and signing before I realize I am even doing it. There are other times that, regardless of your situation or circumstance, I can think of a song almost instantly that matches your situation.

The usual caveat..if this ain't you, ignore this post and forget how crazy ole Kokomo is...if you have this too, tell me more!!

I do exactly the same i can be having a conversation and just one word that they say, can trigger off me singing a song about it! i do it all the time, i guess it can be annoying if someone is trying to have a serious conversation with me.:o

AndreaPurple
01-08-07, 12:59 PM
OMG....
YES, YES, YES too all of this.

I always have a song in my head, usually it something stupid that just drives me nuts!

Thanks Seek, I now have Bang, Bang Maxwell silver hammer came down upon her head, bang bang maxwell silver hammer made sure that she was dead.....AAAAAAAAAAAHHH

I love music, I am driven by music, it calms me when I am mad, cheers me when I am sad, makes me dance when I am happy. Sad songs will move me to tears(at least the first couple times I hear them).

You can say any word and I can think of a song to go with it, that is why I love that song tag game.

Someone talked about a game they played with (I think it was) coworkers, where you'd get annoying songs stuck in each others heads. I had a coworker I used to do that with and my husband and I do it to each other all the time. He started it, he'd just start singing a song, after a minute or so I'd start singing the same stupid song and he'd say "my work is done here" and walk away all proud of himself! LOL

Someone mentioned the kids songs, yes, that happens to me too, I always seem to get some silly Wiggles song stuck in my head....

Toot, toot, chugga, chugga big red car, we travel near and we travel far....

Fruit salad, yummy, yummy.

Darn those Wiggles!!

How about......

Ooooooooooooooooooh....who lives in a pineapple under the sea
Spongebob Square Pants
Yellow, obsorbant and pourous is he
Spongebob Square Pants

Someone also said something about being taught with songs and rhymes, oh yeah, I would probably be a genius now if that were the case! LOL My mother always used to give me a hard time when I was in school, she'd say "you know all the words to all those songs, so why can't you learn your school work like that?!"

pembroke
01-08-07, 03:26 PM
they are called "earworms"

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3792

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31887

PeaceIn
01-14-07, 12:00 PM
Get out!! I Sooooo relate to this!!! I just thought I was some freaky thing with lyrics stuck in my head. Random lyrics at that. I will wake up with some tune playing in the background of my mind. It usually is related to a dream or something that has been on my mind for a day/s. When I focus enough on this tune and pay attention to what it is (what the title of the song may be, or the lyrics) the information is remarkable!!

For example: I've recently been stressing out my relationship with my older brother. It's been over taking my thoughts for months, I hate to admit. One morning I wake up with some tune in my head. I never liked the group or this particular song. My thoughts go to my older brother, my anxiety level rises, the song starts up again in my head, I start to listen...hmmm. It's 'Crazy For You' by Heart. I crack up because it's true. My own heart is telling me I am going crazy for whatever is causing this rift between me and my brother.

Hoping this makes sense. I get this kind of stuff with music and tunes, lyrics alot!! Weird thing, I like this particular song and group now! My older brother called me last week, how freaky is that?

I like having this trait or gift with music. What about you all?