View Full Version : Im not mental - Teen with ADHD

BigDaddy
10-20-03, 04:51 AM
Its about time people in this world realised that just because i have a mental disorder, which incidentally is just like a physical disorder just one that affects the brain, doesnt mean i AM mental i.e. looney toons lock me up kind of mental. I am a human being. Many people who have just met me and dont know about my problems say that im the 'perfect gentleman'. I have loads of friends who know and dont even bring it up. After 6-8 years of knowing me they know what im like and who i am and they r willing 2 accept me 4 who i am. It does hurt when i am just getting happy with a girl and decide 2 tell her about my problems and she frwaks out or starts treating me like some kind of fruit cake and wlks on eggshells around me frightened im going 2 go crazy. I dont need that. What is normal anyway. Its an average, a statistic, a curve of BEST FIT, not PERFECT FIT. For example, it can be said astma is not normal because not everyone has it, but when u add in all the problems everyone in the world has u would see that no one is the same, some have astma, others have AD/HD, but you never see discrimination on such a scale as with AD/HD.

I have had every kind of insult and all the, 'Oh hes just badly behaved, beat him when he is bad and it will get better. He will learn not 2 misbehave then'. Well that isnt the case. It doesnt work and my mum and dad never beat me cos they know me and they know that whilst i have lots of problems i can still be reasoned with.

"If you prick me, do i not bleed??" A true saying i think. I breathe the same air and am also human, so why treat me like an animal. Not everyone does, but enough do 2 make my life that little bit extra hard. I just wanted 2 post this here 2 highlight the problems i face everyday. But i dont let them get me down. If they r like that they r not worth being with or near. There is hope, even if it is just the hope that there is hope. We r all human. Lots of people treat me as such, so why do the few mindless idiots in the world have 2 set me back and make me feel worthless??

tranquilgirl
10-21-03, 07:42 AM
generations of kids have been unnecessarily cruel to other kids for no reason. until schools start teaching empathy with others, i dont see the problem getting any better. it sucks like hell and it's horrible. im sorry to hear that people treat u that way. a lot of ppl unless they are in your actual shoes won't take the time to sit and think what u must go through. but there are people out there who feel for you and who know what it's like, those are the people who have a little more empathy, kindness to them, those are the people u want to look for.

im sorry, add is not your fault. i hope u feel better. i feel sad reading this. sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :( :( :( :(

ben
01-20-04, 02:29 PM
well my advise first of all is, don't tell people unless you think they are mature enough to understand what your telling them. and if you don't have to tell them then don't. it's not like you owe it to them to tell them about your personal life.
but if you do tell some one remember this: compare it to some thing more common. like glasses. just cause some one wears glasses that doesn't mean they are blind. it just means that their eyes are unable to work to the extent that they are needed to work, so the glasses make up for the eyes. us ad/hd people are no diferent. except it is our brain that can't produce enough of a particular chemical, so we need a medication to make up for that chemical. but it doesn't make us stupid because it is in a differnt part of the brain. if some one is pairralized from the waist down it is causee their brain is unable to send a signal to the legs to make them move. does this make the person stupid? NO of course not, because the intellecual part of the brain and the part that makes it move are two different parts of the brain. the same is with ad/hd. IT DOEN'T EFFECT THE INTELECUAL PART OF THE BRAIN!!!

sam
08-13-04, 01:29 PM
Been a long time since anyone has posted to this thread, but I just really liked Ben's anaolgy comparing ADD to glasses. It's true, just because we are ADD doesn't make us handicapped or disabled.

P_Stampy
08-18-04, 12:29 AM
I was at the end of year 10 when i got diagnosed... i told a few people but not everyone. They were all fine with it. When i start a new job i dont tell them. infact i dont htink anyone ive ever told has a problem with it. the worst person who has given me $hit about it is my sister. I guess a lot of people dont know what it is in the first place to say anything stupid about it anyway.

sixes
08-23-04, 07:03 PM
I don't tell nobody anything. I figure it's none of thier business.

ADDitives
02-16-05, 10:12 PM
well i was always in the same boat, and wondering what the he** was wrong with me, and i never knew up until a few months ago.

there were 2 main issues:
- i'm different from everyone else, and i dont nkow why, other than i recognize that i'm a lot more intelligent that a lot of people (not to be conceited, but it was apparent to me for a long time)
- everwhere i went (i went to 2 different primary schools and 1 high school) people hated me, disliked me, made fun of me, bullied me. there was something different and wrong about me that made me a target for all of this, and have people talk about me "my god she's so strange.." et al.

Toby
02-27-05, 09:38 AM
generations of kids have been unnecessarily cruel to other kids for no reason. until schools start teaching empathy with others, i dont see the problem getting any better. it sucks like hell and it's horrible.I don't think empathy's something that can be taught. It starts as a concious process, considering what it might be like to be in someone elses position. But it takes long term motivation and exposure to this concious process in order to develop 'reflex empathy', to consider what it would be like for the other person before judging them.

Maybe this concious process is an idea that can be broached in classrooms, but I doubt preaching empathy to an audience of sn1ggering (the filter is jumping to conclusions again :rolleyes: ) kids will be of any help.

The realist in me suggests we should accept human nature for being inherently flawed, and try not to think about it.

Ultimatly, yes, most people arn't going to understand our situation, or make an attempt to empathise. At the moment, there's a definate misconception of ADD, which has become percieved as the majority view.

In the end, people are going to adopt the percieved majority view because they want to relate to others, to find a point of agreement. So the majority view of ADD becomes even more widespread and accepted.

In the end, people only do what they do because they want to belong. Which is ironically the same thing both of us want.

Unfortunatly, empathy has to work both ways.

ADD's something which has had a profound impact on my life over the last 18 years, as it probably has all of you. It's interesting to consider where we would be without it.

Quantum theory would suggest that there's a carbon copy of ourselves in a distant dimension, genetically identical, and similar in every way, except without ADD. There are days in which this is the only comfort I can find, and I wonder why the hell I should be so selfish to believe I deserve happiness.

But yes, humanity sucks =/

Outtherechica
03-15-05, 09:16 PM
I have to agree with you on that ...mental illness being treated as an unequal to physical problems.

I'm sorry people have been so cold to you.

bmint
04-16-05, 10:08 PM
I was at the end of year 10 when i got diagnosed... i told a few people but not everyone. They were all fine with it. When i start a new job i dont tell them. infact i dont htink anyone ive ever told has a problem with it. the worst person who has given me $hit about it is my sister. I guess a lot of people dont know what it is in the first place to say anything stupid about it anyway. the few people who i have told have acceptd for about 5 minutes then thought this kid is too weird and that was the end of that

Fidge
10-26-05, 11:12 PM
this may be a random place to place this reply, but does it bug anyone else here, like does it really offend you when people call you wierdo, scatty, or sketchead, even though it is only a joke, cos i know it does for me

irene236
12-12-07, 03:41 AM
why tell everyone,.... let them get to know you for who you are........

and what is it that you do that is soo bad?

QueensU_girl
12-12-07, 11:55 AM
ADD is a neurological difference.

Brains are as different as 'faces'.

Every human has a neuro-developmental flaw or problem. Some are just less obvious (or less needed for 'day to day life') than others.