View Full Version : Is 5mg of dexamphetamine enough for inatentive add?

geckogirl
03-20-06, 07:14 AM
My doctor has me on 5mg of dexamphetamine. Is that enough for inattentive add in other people's experience?

BandOnTheRun84
03-20-06, 02:27 PM
It varies from person to person of course, but 5mg was plenty for me and worked wonders for a little over a month.

Of course it doesn't stay good for long. I now have to take 10x that much just to stay awake all day. :(

Scattered
03-20-06, 03:11 PM
That totally depends on the individual. Frequently inattentives need lower doses of stimulent medication, but everyone is different. How is it working for you? I've read of folks who have to cut the lowest dose of Ritalin into four sections because they're bodies are so sensitive to it.

Scattered

geckogirl
03-22-06, 06:43 AM
It's working reasonably well while I am on it. I am not as organised as I would like to be but I wonder if that is about learning new habits rather than something that happens automatically...? I can focus better.

wheresmykeys
04-06-06, 01:58 AM
I just went from 5mg to 10 today, and I'm Inattentive.
The 5 I was on was the first time on meds, I'd been on them 2 weeks.
I found that it helped but I was still struggling to be normal. I could notice what it was helping, but it didn't help it as much as it could have.
I also thought that the help decreased after the first week. I tried to go without meds today and yesterday though just to see if I noticed a difference, I had kinda gotten accustomed to the slightly better state I was in and lets just say I wont be going without them again unless I really have a day to waste. It did more than I could even tell. If you want to know how well it's doing, dont take them when you have to function at work or school and u may see like I did. Just make sure you keep em with you so you can take them when you get frusterated;)

I went to 10 today, and it's a time release spansule rather than immediate tablet and I am loving it! It is far better than 5, thought still not completely perfect. I'm gonna try this for a while, then maybe try out 15.

It really depends on you to know what you need though. We may be different heights, weights, severities..we may need it for different things, it's impossible to to tell. But 5 is a small dosage so if you're having doubts maybe you should try upping it and see what happens.

And that is my uneducated and barely experienced opinion for you.

~boots~
04-06-06, 02:08 AM
GG, I take 15mg then 10mg then 5mg through the day. I started on the 5 mg but needed to increase after a week or so...
I find it is a lot better when combined with a regular dose of omega 3 6 9 which is in emu oil capsules..I started the emu oil for sore hips, and I sure notice a difference in the ADD if I stop taking it
I am a combo girl :-)