View Full Version : New Therapist--YUK

Jaycee
03-20-06, 02:20 PM
Somebody please tell me about having to go to a new therapist. I was very ambivilent about starting therapy to begin with, but I connected with my therapist very well and was able to talk to her about things I'd never told anyone before. Unfortunately, she was murdered last week, which has me totally freaked out.
I agreed to see one of her associates, but now I'm wondering if that is the best thing. Maybe I should find someone outside the practice to see. I'm wondering if starting over in the same office will be harder than starting over somewhere else. I know I have issues about her death that I need to resolve and that I'm still grieving, but I wonder if I'll feel too strange about talking her with someone who is also her collegue and friend who is also grieving.
I know that finding a good fit with a therapist is hard to do to begin with, but I'm really considering giving the whole thing a miss. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Scattered
03-20-06, 03:15 PM
Wow, I am so sorry. That's pretty freaky for you I'm sure. I'd see a counselor who I felt comfortable with -- if that in the same office or another. I wouldn't recommend quitting counseling right now -- this has to be bringing up some issues around grief and safety. My counselor had a massive heart attack shortly after I stopped seeing him professionally and that really shook me up. It would have been even harder if I was in the middle of therapy. You take good care of yourself!

Scattered

Jaycee
03-20-06, 03:33 PM
Thanks Scattered. I think I'm just dreading going into that office, because I'm not sure of how I'll react. I have some serious control issues , so I have a hard time putting myseslf into situations where I can't predict what's going to happen...add that to the other emotions and I'm prety much just freaked about the whole thing.

I didn't want to start with Sally to begin with and now I'm having a hard time thinking of counseling with anyone else. Maybe it's the thought of change.

Scattered
03-20-06, 04:00 PM
It's always kind of hard to start with a new counselor, especially after something like that. Most of the counselors I've seen have had something positive to had to my learning process. If they didn't, I gave them the boot pretty early on and looked for someone else. I did that once after just one session and another time I left a good counselor for one with more specialization in the area of ADHD. Remember they work for you -- you should have a feel pretty early on if this is someone you can work with That doesn't mean it will be easy, but you should feel their respect for you and feel this is someone you can develop a rapport with.

Scattered

nikki
03-20-06, 06:00 PM
OMG! I'm so sorry, how horrible.

Are you comfortable in general with the office/practice you were going to? Maybe see one of the other counselors there, they would be understanding I would think as they are going through the same issue dealing with her loss, and if you're not comfortable after a session or two, then switch practices.

mctavish23
03-20-06, 11:49 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that.

Jaycee
03-21-06, 12:32 AM
I'm not really sure that I'm actually dealing with the reality of her death although it's hard to get away from because it's all over the South Texas news. I already have an appointment with someone else from the clinic, but I've never seen anyone but her and the psychologist that she worked under who was also one of my college professors. I hate the thought of her not being there but I'll give the other therapist a chance for a while. I just hate change and this is such a big and emotional one that pulls me out of my comfort zone.
Actually posting this has helped me feel a bit more comfortable with the idea of seeing someone in the same clinic.

sloppitty-sue
03-31-06, 10:15 PM
Jaycee,

I am so sorry to hear about the unusually horrific event that you have been affected by. {{{hugs}}} If you feel open to it, you may find that following up (even briefly - 1 to 2 visits) with someone in the same clinic might assist you in "getting closure."

I hope this post finds you feeling a little less grieving, and know that you are not alone. Unfortunately it seems we all have our horrific experiences at one time or another. Take good care of yourself.

Sincerely,
Sue