View Full Version : Adderall and my teeth...

MattyB
03-22-06, 01:51 AM
Ok, that other thread freaked me out...the one that says amphetamines damage your teeth...is this true? I take great pride in my pearly whites, and have always been complemented on them regarding their straightness and whiteness. Adderall won't make my teeth fall out...will it?

AAAHHH!! I'm gonna go brush!

Brandy
03-22-06, 09:19 PM
I Have Never Heard About This Before

jaymarc
03-22-06, 10:11 PM
there is something called meth mouth that is commonly seen in meth addicts. therapeutic dosages should not lead to these complications but abuse could potentially. also, brushing your teeth more wont do anything, the loss of tissue is due to the decrease in blood flow to your gums and supporting tissue.

BandOnTheRun84
03-23-06, 03:08 AM
Jaymarc, the problems you listed are more common with meth/amphetamine abuse and high doses. Lower doses can still damage your teeth unfortunately. Really the only thing that has gotten me is jaw clenching. I tend to get that when I'm at the peak of Dexedrine and focusing hard on something. Then again I take the IR tablets, so the peak somewhat sharper than extended release.

I've worn down one of my front teeth on the back side of the teeth because of the way the bottom tooth comes in contact with it when my jaw clenches. It's not noticable, just made my tooth sharp as hell and I'll probably have to get it fixed one day.

If you don't clench your jaw excessively, you should be fine on theraputic dose.... Yet another reason not to abuse amphetamines. Of course that's pretty low on the list compared to other things it can do to ya.

...the more you know :cue NBC rainbow: :D

Chadwick
03-23-06, 03:22 AM
Dry mouth is the most common problem. Lack of saliva makes your mouth a much friendlier haven for bacteria, and salivary status can suffer on amphetamines. This makes it more important that those who use amphetamines as treatment practice better hygiene and perhaps even more importantly -- eat better. Also chewing sugar free gum such as Trident is something I would recommend if you're in situations where you can't brush conveniently during the day. Chilled water is now my favorite beverage.

laura27md
03-23-06, 08:07 PM
Uh-oh. One of my recurrent nightmares is one in which my teeth are falling out. I just started taking adderall today... I guess I know what I'm in for tonight. :p

green mnm
03-23-06, 08:27 PM
The only thing I can think of if you are on theraputic dose of amphetamines is teeth grinding.. or jaw clinching, which can lead to dental problems. But it wouldn't be visible damages really. You'd have to grind a TON to have visible noticible tooth surface changes.

MattyB
03-23-06, 08:49 PM
I don't grind my teeth at all. My jaw just clenches just a bit an hour or two after I take the meds, not really concerned with grinding.

I'm just concerned with anything else....I'm not even sure what. My gums not getting enough blood, or my mouth not producing enough saliva...just paranoid I guess. Always been a health freak and I've finally found something that helps my ADD and changed my life...just don't want it to screw things up! :D

Nyquil
03-23-06, 10:42 PM
Brush, brush, brush.

and floss!

Kokop3lli
03-24-06, 08:11 AM
Uh-oh. One of my recurrent nightmares is one in which my teeth are falling out. I just started taking adderall today... I guess I know what I'm in for tonight. :p
Wow.. I thought I was the only one who dreams about my teeth falling out! I have to wake myself up sometimes to make sure my teeth are still there! (I've been having this dream since before I started taking Adderall though) :rolleyes:

LittlePrincess
03-29-06, 03:14 AM
Adderall makes me clinch my jaw, grind my teeth, and also bite the insides of my lips/mouth like crazy!!! The higher the dose, the more I do it. However, I visited a dentist just last week and everything checked out fine.

SweetNicole
03-31-06, 02:42 AM
I have been on ADHD stimulants since I was in pre-school, I have very flat edges on all of my teeth do to a lifetime of jaw clenching and teeth grinding. Even in my sleep I will grind my teeth (HUGE Complaint from all of my ex's.) As Little Princess mentioned, there is a high likelyhood of biting the insides of ones lips and mouth, especially when eating. I know that I tend to have bite sores on both sides of my mouth and on my bottom lip where my lip ring use to come through. I had to remove the lip ring because I couldn't stop toying with it when i was bored, not to mention the numerous times I bit myelf or hurt myself eating with it. To give you a quick overview of the meds I have taken for long term periods I will list them in order from first to current. I started with Ritilin, then moved over to Concerta (struggled with it), then I switched to Adderall XR, most recently I have had Adderall IR added to the Adderall XR to help prevent the early in the day crash that i would get (I would become depressed and very very edgy *I get hypersensitive when stimulants wear off*) I hope that my words have not discouraged your use of any of these meds, I still have very pretty, straight, white teeth. I hope you the best of luck with whatever option you decide to go with!

QueensU_girl
04-02-06, 05:18 PM
Two ways:

1. they create clenching and grinding in teeth. (You may not know you do this).

2. the drugs create a dry mouth. This creates MORE PLAQUE, which means more decay.

Ideas:

1. chew gum
2. drink water
3. brush frequently
4. avoid alcohol mouthwashes (as they create DRY MOUTH which means more cavities and bad breath) -- Listerine lies!
5. Try those Drugstore Dry Mouth drops. (Biotene in Canada). They work!!!

whereami
03-15-09, 06:55 PM
If you go with the chewing gum, go with one that strengthens enamel. Trident Recaldent is a good one.

On another enamel-related note: Arm & Hammer Enamel Care actually rebuilds your enamel. No other toothpaste does this...the rest just strengthen it. Pretty amazing stuff. I have been taking it for two years. After about a year, I no longer had sensitivity issues. Personal experience only.

dkaiser
03-17-09, 08:50 PM
You're not gonna get meth mouth from Adderall, but you do need to take care of your teeth. Dry mouth is a common side-effect, most people don't drink enough water anyways so make sure you do that. I heard jaw-clenching is also a side-effect, if that's an issue you might be prescribed too much but chewing gum or paying attention to yourself can fix that. Brush your teeth twice a day, FLOSS, eat healthy and go to the dentist and your pearly whites will be fine. My teeth are one of the things about me I get compliments from people the most, I haven't noticed any problems and I'm a smoker.

The ADHD Fan
03-17-09, 09:10 PM
There might be an indirect relationship due to the effects of ADHD medications such as Adderall on the gums. There have been some studies suggesting that amphetamines can lead to gingival enlargement (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15460293) (swelling of the gums).

JWhitt
03-19-09, 12:06 AM
one of the big issues with amphetamine usage comes with amphetamine abuse. due to the nature of adderall and its appetite suppressing characteristics, most people who abuse it don't eat a lot and consume copious amounts of sodas for days at a time. They also don't brush or floss, or lots of other simple things. It also comes from smoking Meth's crystalline form due to all the horribly toxic and nasty things used in its synthesis.

It's likely that just good oral hygiene will keep any extra damage from happening. Adderall use is much different from Amphetamine/Methamphetamine abuse and i think the majority of dental related issues come from abuse.

AC360CNN
12-22-11, 06:56 PM
Excellent thread.

For my entire adult life I have had trouble breathing through my nose. Sometimes I will awaken with an extremely dry mouth having breathed through my mouth the entire night.

I have some slight receeding gum lines, which is an irreversible condition. The receeding was exacerbated by my old habits of brushing too hard. Its also exacerbated by dry-mouth sleeping.

For people with very moist mouths, the marginal effect Adderall has won't be an issue. For me, I need to keep this in mind. I just ordered some nasal strips to help me sleep with my mouth closed. Hopefully I will be able to maintain a moist mouth throughout the night and will not ruin my smile over the next few years.

Massari
12-22-11, 07:11 PM
Use a mouthwash with high sodium fluoride, such as 0.15%. Those are the most expensive I think, for stupid commercial reasons. They sell plenty of crap these days like Scope, which contains no sodium fluoride. Without fluoride(stannous, sodium or other), the mouth washing activity is pretty much pointless.

Smokestoomuch
12-23-11, 09:25 PM
I've read through this thread and no one has the right answer (although some of you were mighty close:D). A person's saliva contains dissolved calcium. This dissolved calcium is how your body replenishes and thickens tooth enamel. Amphetamine use often causes a dry mouth. If your mouth is chronically dry (for whatever reason), your tooth enamel will eventually thin to nothing, causing cavities, tooth breakage and just every other dental problem you can imagine.

den4
12-23-11, 09:36 PM
I've read through this thread and no one has the right answer (although some of you were mighty close:D). A person's saliva contains dissolved calcium. This dissolved calcium is how your body replenishes and thickens tooth enamel. Amphetamine use often causes a dry mouth. If your mouth is chronically dry (for whatever reason), your tooth enamel will eventually thin to nothing, causing cavities, tooth breakage and just every other dental problem you can imagine.

Interesting! Anything you know of to prevent the dissolving of your enamel?

On topic with the OP:
I noticed my teeth were extra sensitive as of the past month. I had been drinking more soda's and less water, so I started drinking more water again and cut the soda out. It helped, a little sensitivity left, but now I'm considering going to the dentist and getting my teeth checked out. It's scary! I like my teeth. I don't want them to be sensitive. They never used to be. Also, I'm sure we would all like to keep our teeth!

foggedup
12-24-11, 06:22 AM
haha, my teeth fall out every night too :) I think it's because I clench so much at night tho.

Regarding adderall and teeth, I remember reading a post on the adderall forum where someone was quitting 'cuz their tooth cracked. You can probably find it doing a search.

It's hard to know if it was related to the med, lots of things can caused teeth cracking. Mine have cracked eating cooked wheatberries (soft-ish) and gobstoppers..

tambourine-man
12-24-11, 02:28 PM
Why do stimulants not make me grind my teeth when they are in my system, yet I grind my teeth like mad at night?

Is this due to the stimulants, or is it unrelated?

Jason954
12-24-11, 02:51 PM
My guess is that there's a long-lived metabolite with little/no cognitive effect, but some pns effect. Also, or alternatively, amphetamies are smooth muscle relaxants. It could be rebound.

For what it's worth, methylphenidate makes me grind my teeth all night, Adderall makes me grind them all day (especially as it wears off), but dex doesn't seem to make me do it much at all. Maybe there's some relationship between methyllation & nighttime bruxism?

cattail
12-25-11, 01:16 AM
I clenched/ground my teeth and bit the inside of my cheeks before I started Adderall but I do it worse now, mostly at night. I bought a moldable night guard at the drug store and it totally stopped the cheek biting.

I think having dry mouth causes me to suck on my cheeks and tough because it stimulates saliva production. I drink water all the time and chew gum but it doesn't fix it entirely. I am going to try those dry mouth lozenges!

Teeth are fine. Probably better because I actually think about and have the patience to floss.

Jason954
12-25-11, 11:36 AM
OMG. I'd forgotten all about cheek-biting. Yeah, Adderall (and methylphenidate) does that to me, too (once again, dex doesn't seem to do it much) .

~9 Years ago, I actually bit my lip so hard, I gave myself a mucocelle(sp?) -- basically, I severed a salivary duct, and ended up with a visible saliva-filled pouch that became visible whenever I ate & lingered for hours afterward (tip: if you ever get one, don't get it fixed before you'll be getting photographed... my lip was purple-black and hard for a week, and looked like a healing punch for another 2 weeks after that when I had it fixed).

tambourine-man
12-26-11, 12:45 AM
My guess is that there's a long-lived metabolite with little/no cognitive effect, but some pns effect. Also, or alternatively, amphetamies are smooth muscle relaxants. It could be rebound.

For what it's worth, methylphenidate makes me grind my teeth all night, Adderall makes me grind them all day (especially as it wears off), but dex doesn't seem to make me do it much at all. Maybe there's some relationship between methyllation & nighttime bruxism?

I doubt it. I grind my teeth most on methylphenidate, second most on Adderall or dextroamphetamine, and least on methamphetamine.

Froggy17
12-31-11, 03:22 AM
Hi everyone, well on the fact of adderall and teeth what's funny is I just started adderall a month ago but for me I have small teeth due to grinding before I ever started meds. My dad grinds and so does my brother we are all ADHD. My dad uses lithium for his my brother nothing and I now adderall so no matter what I grind but on adderall I actually don't grind as bad and my headaches from grinding have gone away so I think it depends. Like others said hygiene and also everyone should be on a good multivitamin and extra calcium. Good luck

K3vins
01-02-12, 04:46 PM
Try to be aware when you are clenching your jaws,which at least can cause tension headaches,and like a few have said dont compare tooth loss,due to jawbone being destroyed by meth...

BAck in the old days,there was something called phossy jaw from when people would work with phosphorous as it got into their system and destroyed the jawbone whiche helps hold teeth in,which can happen especially to people who make meth and are exposed to red phosphorous without the proper protection,and possibly even to those who use meth if the meth is not made cleanly,which I think is probably the case in most instances.although white and yellow phosphorous is imlpicated in phossy jaw,who knows what red phos goes through chemically in making meth.

My dentist recently told me about an item which can be bought OTC at most pharmacys which you put in while sleeping to help with teeth grinding..I am thinking it is something like the teeth protectors which footballers use.

Here is a link on phossy jaw..granted it is wikipedia,but it is a good starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phossy_jaw

http://health.utah.gov/meth/html/ToxicologyofMeth/Redphosphorous.html

of_two_minds
01-03-12, 10:55 AM
My teeth are in bad shape, much of the enamel is gone, and they're slowly but surely chipping away. Dentist says this will lead to me needing to have every single tooth ground down and capped. As a stop gap, she gave me a mouth guard.

This all happened before I started Adderall.

The moral of the story is--if you're worried about your teeth, grinding, etc., get a properly fitted mouth guard. They're expensive but far less costly than an entire mouth rebuild.

ADDofftheWall
11-19-13, 10:10 AM
This is kind of a tricky question because so many people have different experiences with the side effects of stimulant medication such as adderall. Since adderall is a stimulant, it is likely to cause dehydration and therefore dry mouth.

Your tooth enamel will become more susceptible to damage because it does not have the saliva flow to protect it from any bacteria or provide it with essential nutrients to keep it strong. Furthermore, many people experience bruxism with adderall...even at low doses. They might grind their teeth involuntarily, especially when they sleep and get up with sore cheeks because of that. Eventually the ends of the teeth...especially in the front will start to chip off...and once it's gone there really isn't anything else you can do about it.

IF you take adderall XR more than once a day, it might cause dry mouth more frequently. Try to talk to your dentist to see if there are any remedies in addition to drinking copious amounts of water throughout the day.

Some people, however do not experience any damage from adderall. My ex-girlfriend used to take it twice a day and her teeth were always pearly white. I mean she also had good dental hygeine...which is a given.

OrendaQuest
11-19-13, 02:36 PM
Dry mouth is common with Adderall. Try using Biotene, it works Great! They make a mouth wash, gum, mints, etc. I used Biotene previously when I was taking another medication. I grind my teeth and clench in my sleep, thinking about getting a night guard. The only thing that I can think of besides the teeth grinding that would be a real problem is if you quit eating or are eating a little and what you do eat is all sugary crap. I force myself to eat something every day because I have ZERO appetite and I make sure that it is something healthy. When I first started taking ADDERALL a couple of weeks into it I noticed that my hair was falling out and I knew immediately that it was due to not eating correctly/malnutritian/vitamin deficiency and I started being a lot more careful. Diet most definitely will effect your teeth.

Letsrock72
03-20-14, 05:55 PM
Absolutely right!

I abused diet pills when I was young. In my 20's I started noticing a receding gum line. No, brushing does NOT help. I'm in my 50's now, and I've lost so many teeth.

I quit the speed in my 30's, and a shrink gave me Vyvanse for ADD. I noticed I was feeling like I was speeding, so I looked up the ingredients of Vyvanse. Pure Amphetamine. I tore up my other scripts and got rid of them. You can't recover from the effects like you can when you're young. Adderall, Vyvanse....what's the difference?

Anyway, if you like to keep your own teeth, I would get rid of that stuff!

there is something called meth mouth that is commonly seen in meth addicts. therapeutic dosages should not lead to these complications but abuse could potentially. also, brushing your teeth more wont do anything, the loss of tissue is due to the decrease in blood flow to your gums and supporting tissue.

getReal
03-25-14, 08:00 AM
Ok, that other thread freaked me out...the one that says amphetamines damage your teeth...is this true? I take great pride in my pearly whites, and have always been complemented on them regarding their straightness and whiteness. Adderall won't make my teeth fall out...will it?

Do you take adderall because it makes you feel hot? Fit, no body fat, that kind of thing?

cillianred
04-16-14, 12:37 AM
Use a mouthwash with high sodium fluoride, such as 0.15%. Those are the most expensive I think, for stupid commercial reasons. They sell plenty of crap these days like Scope, which contains no sodium fluoride. Without fluoride(stannous, sodium or other), the mouth washing activity is pretty much pointless.

I'm glad Massari mentioned stannous flouride. It's unique in that it's antimicrobial http://now.tufts.edu/articles/other-fluoride. It won't solve dry mouth but it will manage the negative outcomes of chronic dry mouth.

DeleteBpBpBeep
06-03-14, 02:54 PM
The only thing I can think of if you are on theraputic dose of amphetamines is teeth grinding.. or jaw clinching, which can lead to dental problems. But it wouldn't be visible damages really. You'd have to grind a TON to have visible noticible tooth surface changes.
True! The grinding effect could go on for decades without causing outwardly visible defects, but I work in dental care and I just wanna shout out about grinding and clenching being a big problem in the long run! It can make you lose your molars early in life (like 30s or 40s) when could have otherwise kept them your whole life. If you're a tooth grinder, or if your ADD meds make you grind and/or clench your jaw, pretty please talk to a dentist about it, unless you're hoping to rock those dentures in your 40s.

But yeah, the only way amphetamines would cause tooth problems is through causing grinding, clenching, or dry mouth (especially in abusively large doses). If you're taking adderall and don't experience any of those three symptoms then your adderall is not going to have any effect on your teeth (except maybe to make them last longer because it'll help you remember to brush and floss!)

Oh yeah, and heads up: if you live or sleep alone - it's possible that you could grind your teeth at night and not even realize it. Some people grow out of childhood teeth grinding, while some people don't even start grinding their teeth until later in life.

Wookiee
06-03-14, 10:59 PM
The one relationship I have had since starting Dexamphetamines for ADHD was where I was told I grind my teeth in my sleep. And apparently it was all night every night and loud enough to keep her awake.

I used to grind my teeth and bite my lips in waking hours when I first started the meds, but that all stopped after a couple of months.

If you wake up with sore jaw muscles or headaches you are most likely a grinder :)

Daydreamin22
06-04-14, 12:33 AM

Hmm. Where did you hear that? I think teeth fall out with illegal amphetamines because of the toxins in their mouth when they smoke many times a day. Im not sure about ADHD drugs and haven't heard about that.