View Full Version : Anxiety and sucidal thoughts even after prozac and lorzapam

mccoffee
03-24-06, 08:19 PM
I dont' get it I'm still have thease attacks of aniexty and then thoughts of death and depression after the attack then 10-20 mins later i'm fine. I"m so sick of this though you would think after a month of prozac and lorezapam this bs should stop.

Any tips TIA

QueensU_girl
03-24-06, 11:06 PM
Ativan is the devil's drug. :) So is Xanax.

When does your anxiety and/or scary thoughts come, in relation to taking the medication?

(Prozac stays in your body/brain for up to 6 Weeks, so i doubt it is wearing off, even after 7 days of not taking it. Prozac can be taken weekly.)

If I had to GUESS -- your Ativan is wearing off -- and you are getting REBOUND anxiety (as bad, or worse than the Original Anxiety) -- which makes you take another Ativan.

Scattered
03-24-06, 11:21 PM
Sorry you're still dealing with those feelings and thoughts, McCoffee. I don't have any great advice unfortunately, except keep in touch with your physician and let him know what's going on. Prozac may not be the best antidepressant for you. Sometimes a different one with a slightly different action works better. If the feelings are consistently passing after 20 minutes, finding some way to distract and reassure yourself during the time period might be helpful. Making contact with someone is one of the things I find helpful. Even if I don't always tell them what's going on, just establishing human contact helps. Maybe having a favorite activity, DVD, or whatever for those times would help. One thing my counselor mentioned was writing myself a letter when things were good to read when dark times came. For me prayer is important, but I don't know if that is a part of your life.

Take gentle care,
Scattered

mccoffee
03-25-06, 01:26 AM
Sorry you're still dealing with those feelings and thoughts, McCoffee. I don't have any great advice unfortunately, except keep in touch with your physician and let him know what's going on. Prozac may not be the best antidepressant for you. Sometimes a different one with a slightly different action works better. If the feelings are consistently passing after 20 minutes, finding some way to distract and reassure yourself during the time period might be helpful. Making contact with someone is one of the things I find helpful. Even if I don't always tell them what's going on, just establishing human contact helps. Maybe having a favorite activity, DVD, or whatever for those times would help. One thing my counselor mentioned was writing myself a letter when things were good to read when dark times came. For me prayer is important, but I don't know if that is a part of your life.

Take gentle care,
Scattered
Yeah i have a quack appoiment the 29th so it's like i hope i get to the root something that will fix both i'm suprised with the prozac after a month and the antivan why I'm having them still.

You might be right about the rebound effect i'll try the letter thing yes i've been praying the serenity paryer Thanks to all

Scattered
03-25-06, 11:57 AM
Yeah i have a quack appoiment the 29th so it's like i hope i get to the root something that will fix both i'm suprised with the prozac after a month and the antivan why I'm having them still.I know you're mighty frustrated with all this. Sorry it's taking so long to figure out the most helpful combination.

You might be right about the rebound effect i'll try the letter thing yes i've been praying the serenity paryer Thanks to allI'll say one for you too.

(((Hugs)))
Scattered

mccoffee
03-25-06, 12:33 PM
I'm half tempted just to convert to amish hard work getting back touch with god keeping my life simple besides computers haven't got me that far I'm thinking i'm on to something.

Maybe a be a super computer and ask it what's wrong with me knowing my luck it will just say 42.

Andi
03-25-06, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing well McCoffee. I unfortunately understand where you are and how you feel. Please be patient with the treatment process. It took a great deal of time before my pdoc and I found the right combination of medications. Hang in there, and just keep holding on.

Andi
03-25-06, 02:54 PM
I hate to put this out there but this is just a guideline reminder:

In matters of religion, the ban on religion applies to discussions of religious matters, comments of a religious nature in response to a posting, the formulation in signatures, links, etc. that is intended to direct or influence members of the forum in their beliefs, and statements of personal religious beliefs.

mccoffee
03-26-06, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're not doing well McCoffee. I unfortunately understand where you are and how you feel. Please be patient with the treatment process. It took a great deal of time before my pdoc and I found the right combination of medications. Hang in there, and just keep holding on.
That's all I'm trying to do I saw this thing in church bulltein for volunteers for people my age and older/younger i might give it an email. HOpefuly that might do the trick to get out of this funk.

Thanks again to all for the support.

Scattered
03-27-06, 04:48 AM
You know I don't think there's much that's as helpful in getting out of a funk as doing something for others. I was reading that in some recent OCD studies they found that through Behavioral methods the actual brain functioning could be changed as demonstrated on brain scans, but they had to not only avoid doing their compulsion, they had to do something positive in it's place. One of the most effective things was doing something for someone else. Volunteering sounds like a good thing --also get you more people contact -- that always helps me.

Take care,
Scattered

mccoffee
03-27-06, 01:45 PM
I still think a lobotomy or going amish is the best answer.

With the lobotomy i wouldn't have aniexty or depression or least not be aware of it.

Amish get religous get my hands durty hardwork will keep my mind off of things.

Anohter soluation is a time machine not sure how to go about that i might reaserch it further give me something to do.

Scattered
03-27-06, 02:26 PM
So would you be taking your time machine to the past or the future?:eyebrow:

Scattered

mccoffee
03-27-06, 04:07 PM
both to see how one will change the other

chameleon
03-27-06, 04:15 PM
mccoffee - we had to pull my son off lorzepam the very first day he took it. It made him terribly schizo.
I hope you're informing your doc about your reactions?
He should be very concerned about suicidal thoughts and not just letting you hang in the wind!

sloppitty-sue
03-27-06, 04:49 PM
Amen!! I agree with Chameleon.

McCoffee, I see that this is a long thread - and I am wondering if I am missing some info because I have kinda skimmed the small talk replies. So - forgive me for not posting earlier today. I just feel very concerned for you. Feeling suicidal is SERIOUS, and I hope you have some "Crisis/Suicide Hotline" Numbers - (preferably more than 1 number too because I have actually been put on hold before - can you believe it??) Not ALL of the volunteers are good, but MOST ARE!! CALL BACK if you get a "bad one."

Would you be willing to update us/or remind ME what you have currently set up for your depression? You can "pm" me if you prefer. I just want you to know that I am here and would be more than happy to listen and offer any suggestions I have. (Or just be quiet if you prefer. :-)

About me: I'm a single mom, currently unemployed, just turned 40, have dysthymia and had a recent Major Depressive episode that I am working hard to get over. I also have had significant substance abuse issues in the past. I don't have any friends or family support right now, mainly just these boards. So - I welcome all correspondences from my "online support friends" :-)

Sincerely,
Sue

mccoffee
03-28-06, 12:27 AM
Amen!! I agree with Chameleon.

McCoffee, I see that this is a long thread - and I am wondering if I am missing some info because I have kinda skimmed the small talk replies. So - forgive me for not posting earlier today. I just feel very concerned for you. Feeling suicidal is SERIOUS, and I hope you have some "Crisis/Suicide Hotline" Numbers - (preferably more than 1 number too because I have actually been put on hold before - can you believe it??) Not ALL of the volunteers are good, but MOST ARE!! CALL BACK if you get a "bad one."

Would you be willing to update us/or remind ME what you have currently set up for your depression? You can "pm" me if you prefer. I just want you to know that I am here and would be more than happy to listen and offer any suggestions I have. (Or just be quiet if you prefer. :-)

About me: I'm a single mom, currently unemployed, just turned 40, have dysthymia and had a recent Major Depressive episode that I am working hard to get over. I also have had significant substance abuse issues in the past. I don't have any friends or family support right now, mainly just these boards. So - I welcome all correspondences from my "online support friends" :-)

Sincerely,
Sue

I'm not sucidial anymore the koldapan is working luckly so it's not as bad as before ,or it could be the prozac finnly kicked in it's been 6weeks i've been taking the klodapn for about a week strieght even though the doc told me as needed. The bottle said twice a day it's only thing that helps thease cheast palpations.

About me I"m single certifed computer tech network tech took a medical leave from College to get this health bs under control initally i thought it was physical since i had very very high blood pressure i'm only 26. Now that the pressure is down I had the aniety attacks since then.

I got a quack appoinment the 29 so he might give me another drug or not that's part of the reason i took off school to if he changes it the drug may take some time to work. The only number i know i could call is 867-5039

The only time i was having the suicidal thoughts was druing the aniexty attacks. Maybe the 29th i could get a hamster replacment for brain and heart.

Nice meeting you sloppitty-sue pm i"ve got nothing to hide from anyone

mccoffee
03-29-06, 04:35 PM
I saw the quack they are thinking add/depression/panic disorder. However she things it's more of a depression thing even though i'm an inattative type of add.

Another appoinement in two weeks i guess theas people are bridge doctors they are'nt the pychirist I would be normally seeing

Scattered
03-29-06, 06:42 PM
Hey, I'm really glad you finally found a med that seems to be helping the suicidal and panic attack stuff. Let us know how things go!

Scattered

mccoffee
03-30-06, 12:02 AM
Yeah the bridge doc told me to keep taking the klodapn everday since it's the only thing to help heart palpations. I asked her about hamster replacements she wanted to try meds. I go they don't work so great. How bout taking me out back like old yellar she said no let's try meds.

I forgot to wear my tinfoil hat wile I was there. It's a shame to talking to this gorgous girl wile waiting here she had cancer i felt so bad for her we were talking she was with her mother who is taking care of her i offered to by them coffee or water they said no.

She shook my hand though when she left part of me wanna to pick her up however she can't rember to much that could be a good thing later in the relationship however it's sad. She was very nice should've got number or something who knows if she would've rembered me though.

Jackattack
04-14-06, 02:05 AM
1) Low Serotonin = Lost ability to feel love , Can't laugh

2) Low dopamine and norepinephrine = feeling of being incomplete and not good enough , low interest levels, low brain processing power

QueensU_girl
04-14-06, 07:02 PM
Lorazepam can cause REBOUND PANIC ATTACKS. So can XANAX.

The GOLD Standard Treatment for Anxiety is PREVENTION. The Drug used for that is PAXIL.

Otherwise you get into an up and down Anxiety Cycle of Medicating -- which causes MORE distress and helplessness and anxiety!!

Use of Klonopin (clonazepam) and Ativan (lorazepam), (other "-PAM" drugs) can cause motor incoordination (injuries) , Alcohol-like disinhibition/judgement problems, and memory problems (bad for learning; daily functionality). (Benzos/-PAM drugs are similar to Alcohol.)

-=PROZAC can be *stimulating*, which can make ANXIETY and PANIC ATTACKS *worsen*=-

You need to see a Psychiatrist who specializes in ANXIETY/PANIC.

dormammau2008
04-14-06, 09:24 PM
hugs mucoffce glade your doing better dorm ;.)))

mccoffee
04-14-06, 11:38 PM
I"m on lexapro now seeing an actual quack instead hi this ur drug take it doc
on the 18th of this month.

About to read up on lexapro hopefully if i take it at night it won't make me so groggy as it did when i took in the day i would find out tommorow though.

Jackattack
04-16-06, 01:14 AM
I"m on lexapro now seeing an actual quack instead hi this ur drug take it doc
on the 18th of this month.

About to read up on lexapro hopefully if i take it at night it won't make me so groggy as it did when i took in the day i would find out tommorow though.McCoffee what are your symptoms?

Can you smile?
Can you laugh?
Is hard to display emotions?
Is you voice sometimes mono-toned?
Are you sensitive to noises?
Easily Irritated?
Can you fake emotions?

And when your under-attack what are your symptoms?
Fast Heartbeat?
Stomach butterflies?
Accelerated Breathing?
Shakey or almost shakey limbs?
Stiff neck?
Panicky for no reason?

Im willing to bet you need more than a SSRI.

mccoffee
04-16-06, 02:15 AM
Is you voice sometimes mono-toned?
Are you sensitive to noises?
Easily Irritated?

for awile it was just that and alot of heart palputations still getting them out of nowhere i'm on a beta blocker for that though.

i think i need some good loving or a ect i'll settle for sox.

what do you sugesst?

EYEFORGOT
04-16-06, 09:04 AM
You could eat a little chocolate in the meantime. Has similar effects as sex, though both are temporary.

Some TLC would be definitely in order. But that doesn't mean romanatic love necessarily. You could go visit the elderly, take the older men on a trip to the mall to enjoy the view (I mean female shoppers), read to kids, that kind of thing. It doesn't have to be everyday but once in a while could give some feeling of purpose and appreciation.

Just glad to have you back and doing a little better.

dormammau2008
04-16-06, 11:37 AM
have you liqiud porzac i had the others befor na made me worce i found going on this help a great daeal also have liquid means you can have a dose that best siuts you also as you may find once you star taking it the other durg wont be need so much.....iam on beta blockers as welll i find with the 2 toghter that 90% have stop happeing ,,,,something toi think about if you went to know more just pm me and i be happy to run though it with you dorm untill then all the best

Andi
04-16-06, 06:18 PM
Lorazepam can cause REBOUND PANIC ATTACKS. So can XANAX.

The GOLD Standard Treatment for Anxiety is PREVENTION. The Drug used for that is PAXIL.

Otherwise you get into an up and down Anxiety Cycle of Medicating -- which causes MORE distress and helplessness and anxiety!!

Use of Klonopin (clonazepam) and Ativan (lorazepam), (other "-PAM" drugs) can cause motor incoordination (injuries) , Alcohol-like disinhibition/judgement problems, and memory problems (bad for learning; daily functionality). (Benzos/-PAM drugs are similar to Alcohol.)

-=PROZAC can be *stimulating*, which can make ANXIETY and PANIC ATTACKS *worsen*=-

You need to see a Psychiatrist who specializes in ANXIETY/PANIC.

There are many treatments available and without knowing exactly WHAT his medical condition IS, it is difficult to state exactly WHAT medication or treatment he should or should not be utilizing at this time.

Please understand that the only advice that you should be following McC is that of your trained medical professional. Someone that has actually seen you and has a clear idea of your medical history. We are not equipped to dole out medical advice at the forums. The statements that are given here should be taken as nothing more but opinion.

mccoffee
04-16-06, 07:04 PM
There are many treatments available and without knowing exactly WHAT his medical condition IS, it is difficult to state exactly WHAT medication or treatment he should or should not be utilizing at this time.

Please understand that the only advice that you should be following McC is that of your trained medical professional. Someone that has actually seen you and has a clear idea of your medical history. We are not equipped to dole out medical advice at the forums. The statements that are given here should be taken as nothing more but opinion.

no such things as facts only interapations:)

beccablue
04-19-06, 08:13 AM
hey mccoffee,

it sounds like you've been put through the depression/panic attacks/add ringer like i have. let me know if you find anything that works well.

right now i've run out of regular anti-depressants and am starting on the meds for bipolar depression (lamictal). oh, and some drug for parkinsons [Mirapex?] for the ADD - hasn't done anything yet.

i haven't had as many panic attacks lately. it helps me to just try and take deep breaths (easier said than done, right) and try to focus on the fact that it is a relatively short phenomenon. of course, it is easier for me because i know my heart is okay and i am not actually going to die. it just feels like it.

personally i wish dr. sanjay gupta could just open up my brain, see what is wrong, and fix it. or f*&$in scramble it so i wouldn't have to continue to be a pharmaceutical guinea pig.

good luck!
becca

fyi: dr. sanjay gupta is a very hot neurosurgeon/cnn reporter

dormammau2008
04-19-06, 11:02 PM
hello mac yes any advice i gave on meds is just my expaces in it i have had pauck accatcks an dont allways like open spaces or tom mreay peps so thees work well for me but as andi says seek medacl advice on the advice we give an let us know how it gose dorm ;.))))))

mccoffee
04-19-06, 11:41 PM
I saw the case manager seeing quack on the 27th for pysch evoluation yippie it's like this I hope they switch the drug. Grant no aniexty attack today however though i've been sleeping during the day alot due to the heart palpations not sure why i have to sleep just feel like I do it's odd.

dormammau2008
04-21-06, 12:23 PM
knows what you mean mac ive had paick attacks an aniexty most my life but it got real bad 3years ago i had to finluy go on meds an still on them but iam a thuands times better than i was befor i still get aniexty but i deal with as best i can iam not much ofve a sleeper sometimes that happels an sometimes it dont.....what tepye drugs they going to put you on??? an whats you on now??? your body most be tried so its saying sleep its a good thing maybe youve ove done it hope your well in evey other way hugs dorm x

Frangible
04-21-06, 02:55 PM
I dont' get it I'm still have thease attacks of aniexty and then thoughts of death and depression after the attack then 10-20 mins later i'm fine. I"m so sick of this though you would think after a month of prozac and lorezapam this bs should stop.

Any tips TIAPersonally I found depression to correllate to with when my methylphenidate was wearing off (stimulant crash). Are you taking stimulants? The crash can be harsh here.

Basically the thing I found with depression and despair is that you get caught in negative thought loops, which progressively get less true and more distorted the longer you stay in them. And it's hard not to get sucked in.

To get out of this, you should try meditation, and doing volunteer work. From your post it seems you have a lot of empathy and want to help others, put that to work. If you're focused outward on others you won't feel depressed.

Meditation is just clearing your mind, focusing on breathing, and relaxing. With practice it will completely negate anxiety and break you out of any depressive or negative thoughts. But it does take practice. Relax, clear your mind. It's hard to not think and be "empty" but you can do it with practice.

Other things:

-- total sleep deprivation has a pretty strong antidepressant efficacy in studies and enhances the function of antidepressants you take by effecting serotonin receptor sensitivity. Basically skip a night of sleep. It's tough to stay up that long though. I did this personally... yeah, totally cured my depression, I felt so horrible towards the end of the second day, it was what Tyler Durden would call a "near life experience".

-- exercise is a very effective antidepressant for a great number of reasons. Do it regularily, both cardio and lifting, and eat properly.

-- and I hesitate to mention a drug, but... the disassociative dextromorphan (DXM) is a very fast acting antidepressant and antianxiety drug. It's used as a cough suppressant. The reason it's a good antidepressant is that it's both a SSRI and sigma receptor ligand. Its NDMA antagonism reduces anxiety. Heck, it's even a dopamine reuptake inhibitor as well.

Just don't take too much, or you will hallucinate, and perhaps even die due to the other stuff they add to it to prevent abuse (like acetaminophen). It has a short half-life. You can also only take it about 40 times before you become pretty desensitized to its effects.

mccoffee
04-21-06, 04:41 PM
Personally I found depression to correllate to with when my methylphenidate was wearing off (stimulant crash). Are you taking stimulants? The crash can be harsh here.

Basically the thing I found with depression and despair is that you get caught in negative thought loops, which progressively get less true and more distorted the longer you stay in them. And it's hard not to get sucked in.

To get out of this, you should try meditation, and doing volunteer work. From your post it seems you have a lot of empathy and want to help others, put that to work. If you're focused outward on others you won't feel depressed.

Meditation is just clearing your mind, focusing on breathing, and relaxing. With practice it will completely negate anxiety and break you out of any depressive or negative thoughts. But it does take practice. Relax, clear your mind. It's hard to not think and be "empty" but you can do it with practice.

Other things:

-- total sleep deprivation has a pretty strong antidepressant efficacy in studies and enhances the function of antidepressants you take by effecting serotonin receptor sensitivity. Basically skip a night of sleep. It's tough to stay up that long though. I did this personally... yeah, totally cured my depression, I felt so horrible towards the end of the second day, it was what Tyler Durden would call a "near life experience".

-- exercise is a very effective antidepressant for a great number of reasons. Do it regularily, both cardio and lifting, and eat properly.

-- and I hesitate to mention a drug, but... the disassociative dextromorphan (DXM) is a very fast acting antidepressant and antianxiety drug. It's used as a cough suppressant. The reason it's a good antidepressant is that it's both a SSRI and sigma receptor ligand. Its NDMA antagonism reduces anxiety. Heck, it's even a dopamine reuptake inhibitor as well.

Just don't take too much, or you will hallucinate, and perhaps even die due to the other stuff they add to it to prevent abuse (like acetaminophen). It has a short half-life. You can also only take it about 40 times before you become pretty desensitized to its effects.

This lexapro seems to helping the aniexty alot not many attacks the heart palpuations are going away however it's making me drowsy during the day hopefullly this will change when i start fighting again get some dopmine up get back on a sechudle they might try anohter drug all togeter hopefully there will be one that is like that can treat all three add/aniexty/depression. I due belive this is adderall realted since i never had high blood pressure before or panic attacks that's my theory i could be wrong though.

Frangible
04-21-06, 04:45 PM
This lexapro seems to helping the aniexty alot not many attacks the heart palpuations are going away however it's making me drowsy during the day hopefullly this will change when i start fighting again get some dopmine up get back on a sechudle they might try anohter drug all togeter hopefully there will be one that is like that can treat all three add/aniexty/depression. I due belive this is adderall realted since i never had high blood pressure before or panic attacks that's my theory i could be wrong though.What time of day to you take the Adderall? What time of the day does your depression hit?

Tara
04-21-06, 05:06 PM
I suffer from anxiety and when I tried ADDerall it made it a lot worse. I didn't stay on it long enough to find out if the dose was too high for me or if it was just the medication itself. Ritalin LA and Concerta didn't affect my anxiety at all. I know that everybody is different but these were my experiences.

Mccoffee,
Have you tried anything in addition to the medication like Expressive therapies or other behavorial therapies?

Three simple things that really help me are:

exercising
drinking plenty of water
breathing
I know that with AD/HD, Anxiety, and Depression the exercise piece can be challenging. I don't do it enough but when I do it helps me sooo much.

I tried meditation and got too agrivated that I could not focus long enough but I learned that the deep breathing exercises are very helpful too me. I also spoken to some professionals who say that most people don't know how to breath. Our breaths are too shallow and we don't give out bodies and brains enough oxygen. This really aggrivated many conditions.

I know there is some scientific basis behind the water too but I don't remember exaclty what it is right now.

mccoffee
04-21-06, 05:45 PM
water and dehydration is due to high bllod pressure i haven't taken adderall in months that's my whole point though it's like when i started to take that drug regurally for a year is when i kept getting sicker and sicker i could be wrong on that.

I've seen some articles where it saids you should stop taking if it you have a high blood pressure.

Frangible
04-21-06, 06:31 PM
It can raise your blood pressure because it's a stimulant, but I don't think it could lead to long-term increases in blood pressure after its use is discontinued.

If you're not getting enough water and are dehydrated, that can affect you mentally. Also anxiety will raise blood pressure too.

I don't know if the high blood pressure implies you're overweight or not, but obesity can directly cause depression, and can exacerbate anxiety because obesity tends to overdrive the sympathetic nervous system (which is why it increases blood pressure).

In addition to the nasty effects of decreasing dopamine receptor density and dopamine levels in the brain, obesity also results in lower testosterone levels because fat cells convert testosterone to estrogen. This alone can cause hypogonadal symptoms and depression.

I don't know your situation very well but if any of my assumptions are true, please talk to your doctor about a weight loss and exercise program-- it can effect your mind to a very great degree.

And if I'm wrong about implied obesity, still consider some good old fashioned ***-busting cardio, there's a ton of studies showing strong efficacy in reducing anxiety, depression, and even ADD.

Scattered
04-21-06, 06:38 PM
Personally I found depression to correllate to with when my methylphenidate was wearing off (stimulant crash). Are you taking stimulants? The crash can be harsh here.

Other things:

Just don't take too much, or you will hallucinate, and perhaps even die due to the other stuff they add to it to prevent abuse (like acetaminophen). It has a short half-life. You can also only take it about 40 times before you become pretty desensitized to its effects.Advising someone who admits to feeling suicidal to not take their medication is very dangerous -- you aren't on scene and as far as I know you aren't a psychiatrist. While recommending exercise and such is helpful, please don't give medical advice. You have no idea how the combinations you're recommending could react to what he's already taking/taken or how they might react in his particular system.

Not trying to bypass you in this discussion -- McCoffee. Just don't like seeing medical advice being given on line.

Take gentle care ... you're in my thoughts.

Scattered

Scattered

Frangible
04-22-06, 01:57 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he should stop taking his medication. I did not state that. He shouldn't -- but he wasn't taking Adderall currently anyway-- I just wanted to bring to light the fact stimulants can cause depression as they wear off as a possible cause. I don't think that's reason alone to not take them, and I've even read a case report of someone dying due to sudden discontinuation of amphetamine.

And actually every thing I said in my post is based off data from medical studies, and I can provide cites if you like. I also looked at drug interactions on PubMed and the PDR. I also told him to talk to his doctor about exercise due to his blood pressure. I'm not sure why you reacted so strongly to my post, most people here have suggested many of the same things I did.

The OP asked for advice, and I gave it. I though that's what this board was about-- peers discussing medical issues. Obviously few, or none, here are licensed physicians or psychiatrists. So why do peer support groups exist for medical issues? Any of our opinions or suggestions, by definition, are worth less than a doctor. So then, should our response to every question medical in nature be "talk to your doctor"? I suppose that would be a lot easier.

mccoffee
04-22-06, 05:02 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he should stop taking his medication. I did not state that. He shouldn't -- but he wasn't taking Adderall currently anyway-- I just wanted to bring to light the fact stimulants can cause depression as they wear off as a possible cause. I don't think that's reason alone to not take them, and I've even read a case report of someone dying due to sudden discontinuation of amphetamine.

And actually every thing I said in my post is based off data from medical studies, and I can provide cites if you like. I also looked at drug interactions on PubMed and the PDR. I also told him to talk to his doctor about exercise due to his blood pressure. I'm not sure why you reacted so strongly to my post, most people here have suggested many of the same things I did.

The OP asked for advice, and I gave it. I though that's what this board was about-- peers discussing medical issues. Obviously few, or none, here are licensed physicians or psychiatrists. So why do peer support groups exist for medical issues? Any of our opinions or suggestions, by definition, are worth less than a doctor. So then, should our response to every question medical in nature be "talk to your doctor"? I suppose that would be a lot easier.

That was part of my delima was talking to doctor i was on a waiting list to see one what bs get to see one next week it's odd though how getting free health care has to be so diffacult i only need temporary till i'm done with school. It's like trying to work wile a full time student it did me worse couldn't adjust i don't know what to do.

I still like the lobotomy idea though it sounds rational to me won't know i'm sick.

dormammau2008
04-22-06, 01:32 PM
i like you as you are mac so no lobotomys plasees l.))dorm

*~ žEEK ~*
07-03-06, 05:06 AM
Mccoffee,
Have you tried anything in addition to the medication like Expressive therapies or other behavioral therapies? Mccoffee,
I agree with Tara. Medications are not the end all, cure all, when it comes to anxiety and depression. Yes, it would be nice to just take a pill and have everything go away, but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way!

If you are anything like me, whenever I would hear the word "therapy" mentioned, at first I would think, "I don't need no stinking therapy!", which unfortunately is most often the typical "Male" response to the suggestion, however, after suffering more, and more, and more, eventually I was finally desperate enough to try just about anything to feel better!

So, I went to a variety of psych doctors and gave the therapy thing a try! However, I don't know if I was just plain unlucky or what, but the doctors I had just didn't seem to be doing anything for me! Also, I am way to impatient to wait months, and months, and months, for only minor improvements, and mostly lackluster results, not to mention being so disorganized that I seldom remembered to even go to the sessions when I was suppose to! And even when I did remember, I was usually so late that nothing constructive would ever come out of the sessions that I did make it to!

Without telling my story "yet once again" on our forums (I've already told it on other forum threads dealing with exactly this same topic.) I will simply offer you 2 pieces of advice:
1) Give the psych doctor therapy thing a whirl, maybe you will have better luck than I did, and maybe unlike me you will actually make it to your appointments!! LOL :D
2) This may seem really simple and insignificant, but it's the best piece of advice I have for you actually! Do yourself a favor, and either check it out at your local library, order it online, or purchase it from local book store, the book, "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. It's in paperback, it's inexpensive, it's a huge bestseller, and it helped me more with my anxiety and depression than all the psych doctors combined!

It's a cognitive therapy self help book that teaches you how to help yourself, rather than relying on psych doctors and medications alone. I know, my book suggestion sounds insignificant, and not all that awe inspiring at all, but it's the most significant book that I have ever read dealing with anxiety and depression, and I've read my fair share of them!

Also, please remember this too! I am a male, I have ADHD and dyslexia, I consider myself a pretty rough and tough individual, and I really didn't think that I could possibly read anything in any book that could possibly have much of an impact on all the anxiety and depression that I was suffering from. Fortunately, I was 100% wrong, and ended up very impressed, and I don't even like to read due to my dyslexia, remember??? :)

What have you got to loose??
Your anxiety and depression is what!!! :)
"Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns should be on your short list my friend!

Good luck! :)