View Full Version : Talking to my parents

Aizlyne
03-31-06, 12:02 AM
After my diagnosis my parents helped me get medication and set up therepy. However it's been very hard to talk to them about my ADD and how it affects my life. I get the sense that it makes them uncomfortable or that they don't really think it effects me as bad as it does. I'm 20 years old now but I asn't diagnosed until last year. Does anyone have any advice on reading materials or websites that I can give to my parents in the hopes that I can get them to understand me a little better? Thanks

Crackerjack
03-31-06, 10:28 AM
The books off the top of my head:

Healing ADD - Dr. Daniel Amen

The ADDed Dimension - Kate Kelly & Peggy Ramundo

So I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! - Kate Kelly & Peggy Ramundo

Journeys Through ADDulthood - Sari Solden

As far as websites, I think this forum would be a good place to point them to.

runinl8
03-31-06, 11:03 AM
I really have no advice, just felt like I needed to say "Good Luck!" My mother is very against the idea of ADHD so I kinda know how you feel. I'm just glad they are some what receptive to the idea (your parents). I have seen several posts on here with some great references to sites and different reading materials. I hope you find what you need. :D

crankie
03-31-06, 11:06 AM
Hi

My daughter has adhd and i have found one book really helpful.

understanding girls with ad/hd by kathleen g. nadeau, ellen b. littman and patricia o. quinn.

This book is aimed at parents and has information from preschool years right through to adult years.

Hope your parents will find this as enlightening as I did.:)

Aizlyne
03-31-06, 12:54 PM
Thank you to everyone who replied.

My parents are very busy people and even though I would like them to read a book about ADHd they might not be able to. So if i wanted to initiate a talk with them myslef doesn anyone have any idea on how I can approach the converston without blaming them or making them uncomfortable?

nonadder
04-01-06, 12:34 AM
Coming from a nonadder.... the book that i got was; Driven To Distraction. :)

QueensU_girl
04-02-06, 10:48 PM
Mebbe show them some of the ADD/ADHD 'checklists' of symptoms and behaviours?

This might let them know that certain traits are part of the Disorder, and that ADD/ADHDers are not just being [like the book title] "lazy, crazy or stupid".

casper
04-05-06, 02:22 AM
go the website ldonline.com check out videos. Rick Lovie does some great videos on what it is like to be LD and ADD. I wish all of my teachers both HS and college could have watched. It really makes the non dxed person understand what we go through on a daily basis.

Aizlyne
04-05-06, 08:42 AM
THanks everyone for the suggestions!