View Full Version : Ect

beccablue
03-31-06, 07:05 PM
Has anyone ever had electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)? Anyone know how it affects ADHD?

chameleon
03-31-06, 08:19 PM
No, but I've used Cranial Electrostimulation (CES). It only had bad effects, but from what I've seen on the 'net ECT is pretty controversial because they don't know the long term effects, although it does seem to bring some relief to some people.

barbyma
03-31-06, 08:42 PM
ECT is controversial, but I believe that's mainly because it was way overused in the 60s and it just sounds bad.

We do have a handle on the long-term effects, though. It's been around a long time.

I've never heard of it being used for ADHD and I can't imagine anyone trying it for that.

ECT works very well for severe depression that is unresponsive to meds. It isn't used for much else.

mccoffee
04-02-06, 01:53 PM
they are talking about this on cnn right now http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/2006/03/shock-therapy-for-kids.html

beccablue
04-03-06, 02:50 AM
i don't think i phrased my question very well.

I was wondering if anyone who has ADHD and depression has had their depression treated with electroconvulsive therapy - the kind where doctors shock your brain to try to get it to work right. & how it affected their ADHD.

I've had a limited response to meds for depression & no response to the ADHD meds (so far). i think the lack of response & side effects have worsened my depression. i've read that ect has worked well for some people with treatment resistent depression but can have a negative short term affect on memory. I haven't been able to find any info re ADHD.

thanks for responding. it helps a lot to have a community to "talk" with.