View Full Version : Note from a newbie

dancingirl
03-31-06, 07:10 PM
Hi all, I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. I actually found this forum while researching Welbutrin (I have just started taking it). I don't really have a grasp on how this all works, so you'll have to bear with me, and give me pointers along the way...

I'm 25 years old. I have TS and OCD. I didn't start having symptoms until I was 20 years old. It took 4 years of trying different doctors, doing lots of tests, and a lot of frustration before I received a diagnoses...I knew what I had before the doctors...I think they were thrown off by my age?!?

My symptoms include simple and complex vocal and motor tics, coprolalia, mostly compulsions rather than obsessions, and out of control mood swings (ie, temper tantrums, rage, sobbing uncontrollably) I also am depressed a lot. But who knows what I'll be doing by next week, my symptoms are always changing and multiplying.

For the most part I feel very fortunate that my TS is not too severe...actually, let me rephrase that, my tics are not too severe, I can repress them most of the time when I need to. I did have to quit my job last year, the OCD/inability to cope with simple stressers was getting to be too much. I am also finding that (and I think it started last year) although I don't think I have ADD, I have a really hard time focusing on things, I can't really deal with more than a few things going on at a time, I get distracted easily. I never used to be like that, I'm an event planner, so I always prided myself on my ability to multi task...so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your time, I am really excited at the idea of having this forum for bouncing around ideas and support!

Andi
04-01-06, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forums so glad to have you here and I look forward to seeing more from you :)

Scattered
04-01-06, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forums -- lots of good information and good people here. Glad to have you on board.

A very high percentage of Tourettes individuals also have ADD, so who knows? As you learn more you'll probably figure it out. In any case they seem to share a common genetic pathway (I believe it is the D2R2 gene that involves dopamine reuptake that 60% of Tourettes folks have and 60% of ADD folks have). My brother has Tourettes and I have ADHD (with a few small tics). Our grandfather probably had both from the stories I've been told.

Scattered

scuro
04-01-06, 10:15 PM
Welcome. :)