View Full Version : Need HELP badly - How do I start cleaning a VERY messy room?

kgro555
04-05-06, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone. I apologize for the long post - but I am stuck, and frustrated.

I really need some help. I have been extremely disorganized my entire life. I was diagnosed with ADD 1.5 years ago, and have improved in my schoolwork, motivation etc. One thing hasnt' improved though...my room hasn't been clean since I was about 15 (I am 23 now). It is embarassing, and I hate it! I am just so frustrated with myself. I need to walk over so much junk just to get to my bed, and the only way you can tell that my carpet is green is from a couple little breaks in the clutter. I have made MANY MANY attempts to get this room to look like an ADULT lives in it, but they have all been futile. I am so discouraged.

I walk in my room to start cleaning, and get so overwhelmed the second that I walk in there, that I last 10 min then need to leave. I leave with the thought that I'll "take a break", but my break just lasts the rest of the night. I've drawn maps, written priority lists, numbered sections of my room, etc. I have tried taking care of trash first, then clothes, then papers, etc. It worked for a while, but after those 3 categories were done, I was left with RANDOM junk, and I don't know why I didn't just put everything in a trash bag. I can't get myself to make a decision to throw something out or give it away!

I have also tried starting from one end of the room moving towards the other, but I run into the problem of running out of space for things I want to keep, and get discouraged and give up.

I tried cleaning the other day, and found the driving permit I got in '97, and an assignment from 9th grade in a random box of "things". Pathetic, isn't it?

Up until now, I haven't had to worry about it TOO much because all I end up doing in there is sleeping in my bed (since you can't do anything else). But, I am moving out of my house in a couple months and moving 1,000 miles away. My mom wants my room clean so she can use it for guests.

I'm almost thinking of getting a ton of huge boxes, throwing everything in there so there's nothing left in my room, THEN deciding what to do with everything (trash, keep, give away, etc) and sorting everything where I have room to think (the garage or something). It just sounds like a momentous task for me to do in the next 2 months - I am also in the middle of a rotation in a hospital for school, graduating from college, starting a job 1000 miles away from home, looking for an apartment, and studying for my licensing exams for my career.

My mom offered to help me, but I just feel so rediculous. I am 23 years old, shouldn't I be able to clean a stupid room? I am just so embarrased! I know it's my mom and I'm lucky to have her offer to help me...but I just feel stupid because a 23 year old college graduate with a professional degree should not have a room like this! How did I let this happen? All of my friends have normal rooms. What is wrong with me?

So in short, here are my questions - I know they're difficult to answer, but if anyone has been in my position, I would really appreciate it.

1) HOW DO I START CLEANING A ROOM YOU CAN'T WALK INTO OR OPEN THE DOOR ALL THE WAY?
2) HOW DO I PREVENT MYSELF FROM GETTING OVERWHELMED AND DISCOURAGED, AND SUCKING IT UP TO ACCEPT THE TASK AT HAND?
3) HOW DO I DECIDE WHAT TO KEEP IN MY ROOM, WHAT TO STORE IN OUR GARAGE, WHAT TO GIVE AWAY, AND WHAT TO TOSS IN THE TRASH?
4) WITH EVERYTHING ELSE GOING ON IN MY LIFE AND NEW CAREER, HOW MUCH TIME SHOULD I SPEND EACH DAY CLEANING?

and finally

5) IS THIS NORMAL FOR ADULT ADD TO AFFECT ORGANIZATION THIS BADLY?

Again, I apologize for the long post. I would appreciate ANY advice WHATSOEVER. A step by step procedure would be best for me if anyone has anything like that, but I am desperate.

Thank you so much!

roses4julie
04-05-06, 07:32 PM
I AM OR MORE LIKE, USED TO BE THAT WAY BEFORE MY BOYFRIEND THREATENED TO MAKE ME MOVE OUT IF I DIDN'T STOP BEING SUCH A SLOB THANK GOD FOR A SOMEWHAT CLEANLINESS CONSCIENCE MAN....I LAUGHED TO MYSELF BECAUSE I SWEAR IF I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER I WROTE YOUR POST......ANYWAYS THE BOX THING AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS KINDA WORKS.....I DID THAT WHEN I WAS LATE TEENS VERY EARLY 20S
(I AM 24 NOW) BIG TIME TO WEED THROUGH EVERYTHING SLOWLY BEFORE "I GREW UP" AND MOVED OUT FOR GOOD.....YOU HAVE TO BE VERY MOTIVATED WHEN YOU DO DECIDE TO GO THROUGH IT LIKE RIGHT NOW IS SPRING AND ITS THE BEST TIME TO DO THIS....I PERSONALLY ALWAYS GOT IN A CLEANING MOOD AROUND THIS TIME OF THE YEAR...SO TRY IT I GUESS THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN IS 10 YEARS FROM NOW YOU PULL IT OUT OF THE BASEMENT OR ATTIC AND GO THROUGH IT THEN YOU...MIGHT FIND SOME COOL STUFF YOU DIDN'T KNOW YOU STILL HAD OR EVEN HAD TO BEGIN WITH...BE CAREFUL THOUGH IT REALLY SUCKS GOING THROUGH THOSE BOXES/BOX BECAUSE SOMETHING YOU REALLY NEED IS SOMEWHERE IN THERE.....IT REALLY SUCK WHEN THE "BOX" IS UNDER THE BED OR YOUR CLOSET....LOL.....SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING POST....IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE TO GET YOU OFF ON YOUR MAJOR LIFE CHANGING CLEAN FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME WHENEVER YOU WOULD LIKE I HAVE PLENTY OF KNOWLEDGE ON THIS WHOLE TOPIC IN GENERAL I HAVE EFFECTIVE WAYS TO CHANGE FROM BEING A SLOB WHEN YOUR READY TO DO IT :) :eek:

Uminchu
04-05-06, 07:47 PM
I don't know about normal, but yes, I'd say it is very common.

It sounds like you have worked out most of what to do. A couple things I would suggest:

Make smaller projects (I will take all plates and cups to the kitchen -- and that's it for today)
Take some things out of the room for processing.
Like you said after you cleaned out the trash, you had random junk that you didn't know how to handle? Fill a milk crate and take it to another room, your car, a park or wherever for sorting.

If all else fails, move. That's what I used to do. :D

minn306
04-05-06, 07:52 PM
First of all, to answer you question about ADD adults having a problem with getting/staying organized...............YES, most of us do :)

I completely understand your frustration. It can really damper a mood when you walk into the room. It did not get that way over night, so please do not expect yourself to get it cleaned that quickly. Can you commit yourself to at least 30 minutes a day to clean the room?? Maybe even take your mom up on her offer of helping you. The two of you can get a lot done in that 30 minutes. As good as it sounds to put everything in to boxes, do you really think you will have time to go through those boxes at a later date?? I once read in a book that anything you have not used in the last year(papers, clothes, etc) get rid of them. Clothes can always be donated to various charities. Papers can be thrown away. It helps if you get 4 boxes and label them.............toss, keep, donate, put away. When I first read about doing this, I laughed. Was I surprised when it actually did make things easier!!

Best of luck to you and please keep us informed of how you are doing

5miraclez
04-05-06, 10:44 PM
I'm right there with you except it's my whole house with 5 kids and a husband who don't help to clean.

Try doing this
get 5 boxes
label the boxes
1st things to throw out
2nd things to keep
3rd things to give away
4th things to fix
5th don't know what to do with

Start at one end of the room and start tossing things into the boxes depending on where they belong
DO NOT pull more stuff out to organize it. THat's where I get caught up, I figure since I'm already organzing this stuff, I might as well do more. It just makes a bigger mess and gets worse.
Make your goal to just clear a path to your bed
When you've done that, take a break
if you need to, come back tomorrow and start again
Once a box is full, move it out of the room and get another box.
Soon, the whole room will be cleared out.

This is where it is good for someone else to now come in and help. They can take things to be given away, can help you to organize your stuff and can help you decide if the things you want to fix are worth keeping.

Don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Once you can see the floor and nothing is in the room it will be easy for someone else to help put things where they belong.

HopingForHope
04-06-06, 12:31 AM
Try this, it really helped me at least get some things started (before diagnosis.) It's a site for the clutter inclined, and though not aimed specifically for those of us with this affliction, there was a lot of stuff I could really relate to. At any rate, I found some inspiration there, and some very good advice about how to get started on years of clutter, in a simple step by step format. www.flylady.com (http://www.flylady.com)

Great site, just a suggestion though DON'T SIGN UP FOR THE EMAILS. They send like 10-15 a day, little "reminders" and it's INSANE.

~boots~
04-06-06, 01:13 AM
Try doing this
get 5 boxes
label the boxes
1st things to throw out
2nd things to keep
3rd things to give away
4th things to fix

Start at one end of the room and start tossing things into the boxes depending on where they belong
DO NOT pull more stuff out to organize it. . great idea...:D ...and it's true, if you haven't used or worn something in the past year, you will probably never use/wear it, so chuck it in the "give away" box..

When it comes time to get rid of the "give away" boxes, don't get tempted to have a quick peek to see if you chucked something in by mistake!! You'll end up retreiving half the stuff and go back to square one.
Get your MUM to get rid of the chuck out and give away boxes ASAP

:p good luck

Tater
04-06-06, 02:08 AM
I would also start with your first problem, clean out the door area- move it whatever, if you have a little bit of space to work with, that gives you a little bit to be proud of. I would say working from the door out would be good, dont look for things, let them come as they come (maybe this is obvious and im just tired). I like the box idea, it seems pretty good. My college dorm room is just me and my roomate's living piles that always shift around and so that makes it fun. My room at home is always messy too, but not that bad, i had to clean it ever 2 weeks and vacum it... so i couldnt let it get too out of hand.

minniemcg
04-06-06, 02:50 PM
I know what you mean -- there have been so many times in my life that my room has been insanely bad.

I know you've tried breaking it into sections, but maybe this will help. Is there a part of your room you really like and you miss having it be useful to you? Like, is there a chair covered with clothes or a bookshelf that's piled with stuff? Make that a project, and only take care of that area to start with. That way, you get the reward of a job well done AND the ability to use a part of your room that you miss!

Also, I don't know if you take meds, but I know that if I need to clean I do it right after I take them. Whether or not the meds play a role, I still have the placebo effect that I have "help" when I'm cleaning.

I also learned that if you set an egg timer, a clock, or a watch to a small interval (five or ten minutes, even) and then just clean like mad for that little bit of time, it can work. Knowing that you only need to spend a little bit of time and then you can quit helps me get started.

Just know that you can do it! It's scary and hard but it can totally be done.

I learned the other day that some people use their mess as a "wall" to keep themselves isolated. I do that. You know, like, "Oh, I'd have you over but my room's a mess!" Could there be another reason like that contributing to your messy room?

One quick thing: have you tried the "six month" idea? Look at all the objects you have and say, "Have I used this in six months?" If you haven't, seriously consider throwing it away. Especially if it's things you can get more of, like old bowls and plates or notebooks. Another version of the "six month" idea is to take those things you haven't used but can't bear to throw away and put them in a big box. Put those things in the basement and then look at them again in six months or so. Did you miss having them? If not, you can trash them!

Isn't it weird the kinds of things we hold onto? I know that I have old credit cards, IDs, and papers from college just for "sentimental value."

relvinnian
04-06-06, 11:15 PM
The best way to start such a daunting project is to walk into your room, and pick up the first thing you see, and put it in it's place. Whether it be in the garbage, the laundry, or in a biocontainment container, just do it. And don't stop doing it until you're done.

I know how simple minded that sounds, but it's the only way it will happen. You will look around and try to plan every little thing: "Well, that needs to go back to library" Then it's "Damn! It's soooo late! I probably owe them more than the cost of the material itself! I should just keep it. But if I keep it I won't be able to check more items out, plus it'll show on my credit report! Man... it sucks I didn't even finish that book! I wonder what it says?" And then you open the book and start leafing through it. Finally you snap out of it, and berate yourself for your distraction. And by that time, you can't even remember if you came to a decision on what to do with the book!

Don't think until everything is in clear and clean. Then sift through the piles and make sense of it all.

Good luck

anomaly
04-07-06, 04:27 AM
Don't feel bad! You should see my house, my entire house! Like you I have no idea where to begin and am to embarrased to ask anyone for help. I won't even let anyone in my house! I just keep putting it off.

ADHDDeeJay
04-09-06, 04:11 AM
keeping my apt clean is the only thing i seem to be able to get done... but when i have to move i get really really confused even though i dont own much stuff. ill often just stand around for about an hour thinking about packing. eventually i just start throwing things in boxes in an unorganized fasion!

but i guess for the cleaning bit... my only suggestion is dont let it get bad. tackle the problem while its little.

bcaddkid
04-09-06, 04:25 AM
when you figure it out, let me know. My room could use a good clean.

One random tip: Don't buy lots of junk, but rather a little bit of quality. IE: you don't need 25 pens littered all over your desk, you need 3-4 good pens.

If your room is really, really bad, and you have no idea where to start, don't feel bad. It's ok, a lot of us adhd people can't organize worth **** all. Work out an arrangement with your mom, get her to help you, and then read up and see if you can work something out for yourself that works. Never worked for me and my mom, but she's as messed up as I am, so it's more or less like the blind leading the blind.

QueensU_girl
04-09-06, 11:49 AM
Yes. It is a manifestation of ADD for some people.

My Mom's place is like that. The "piles" are so big at the end and one side of her bed that she cannot walk around it.

It becomes a health and safety (fire) hazard. (Just another way that ADD is a condition with very real health risks. Not only can we get killed running that red light (impulsivity), or stepping off that curb (inattention), but disorganization can pile up!)

Hire someone. (a) A personal organizer who is familiar with ADD, or (b) an ADD Coach.

If you cannot afford one, put all the stuff on your floor into garbage bags, to clear the floors, for safety. When you can, make some time to go thru each bag and sort things and put them away where they belong. Get a friend to help you.

chloe516
04-09-06, 06:44 PM
This is when the impulsivity part of ADHD takes over!!! :rolleyes:

I get so frustrated with the clutter, that once every 6 months or so, I can't take it anymore and spend a day cleaning (and by a day I literally mean about 24 hours with hyperfocusing). I first take a box of garbage bags and go through throwing things away. Over the years, I learned n ot to think too much about stuff. I always liked to save things but then decided to do scrapbooks and if it didn't fit in a scrapbook and don't allow myself to keep it for sentimental reasons (bits of fabric and petals from special bouquets can be put in scrapbooks). I look under the bed, in drawers, in the closet...look everywhere, you'll be surprised what you find! I then go on a trash spree, I end up filling up about 4 or 5 garbage bags with things. Then I go through my clothes and I end up filling a couple of garbage bags with clothes I don't want anymore too.

After those are out of my room, I rearrange the furniture, vaccuming around where furniture was and dusting, then I bring everything back in and vaccum once again.
Occasionally I will realize later on that I accidentally got rid of something I wanted to keep, but usually the feeling passes and I forget about it again. I am so much better about getting rid of stuff I don't need now. The best advice I can give you is don't think, just do it!:D

Geneviève
04-09-06, 07:40 PM
I read somewhere of a paper classifying technic called OHIO (Only Handle It Once). I guess it could work for hudge messes (like the one cluttering my bedroom and yours probably... That being said I am no better than any of you guys, I have no personnal organization) :p

ChrisO
04-10-06, 09:10 AM
When I was reading this thread yesterday my husband said "Glory, Hallelujia, other people are just like you?" He was shocked to see that even though I want a messy room I'm fighting against myself to get one. I felt mildly vindicated since just last week he said I try to blame everything on ADD. :) I'm going to try some of the techniques I've read about and I'm off to the Doctor today to hopefully get some medicine that will help with my stress level at work. I'm hoping to almost be a new person in a few weeks with the help of the wonderful group I've found here!

Thanks!

Chris

Wisteria
04-11-06, 08:00 AM
This sort of job is way too overwhelming to try and sit in the middle of the room sorting through all the bits and pieces. You need to do what they do on that show on HGTV or TLC that clears clutter for people and helps them organize. for the life of me, I can't think of the name of it, but I love to watch. They get boxes or bags and just shovel it all in and carry it all out to a holding area until the room is completely empty. Then they do their decorating thing, rearrange the furniture and bring back only the basic neccessities.
It would be much harder to do alone, but at least you could neatly store the boxes and when you are feeling in the mood you can grab a box or two at a time and sort through it all gradually. Better yet, let your mom do it for you. She has already offered to help and she would probably have a pretty good idea of what you might want to keep and what really should be tossed or given away.

I'm gradually getting myself organized and the fastest way to make a difference and feel good about it is just completely clearing out the room and not having to make all the decisions and do all the sorting as you go. You'd be amazed at how little of the stuff you box up you find yourself needing or looking for.

I'm almost 40 and just figured out I'm ADD when I was going through the process of my daughter being tested for it and I am POSITIVE my 75 yr old mother has it really badly and is probably in total denial. We grew up in a messy chaotic house and she is also an unbelievable pack rat. In the laundry room I just got done throwing out 7 (SEVEN) empty laundry soap containers. She saves used tin foil, washes out zip lock bags, etc. I am constantly picking up after her and doing a sweep through the house throwing away things she has hoarded like that. She is our live in nanny for our four children and she has her own bedroom, bathroom, entry and family room. I haven't seen her bedroom in ages...she actually locks the door every day she is so ashamed yet doesn't want any help. I've managed to keep the rest of the house semi-clean and organized but it is a constant struggle and unless we are expecting guests it never gets completely clean. She is great with the kids - a story book Grandma, so I do my best to over look the stuff that drives me crazy.

chloe516
04-11-06, 08:07 PM
the show is clean sweep! I was thinking the same thing too!

autumnsky
04-12-06, 02:24 AM
Medication plus approx. 36 hours (give or take-that is what it has taken me) of free time helps. I REALLY understand your deliema. Moving is the worst!!! The last 2 times I moved, I realized that I had moved quite a few garbage bags full of trash along with the stuff I wanted to keep.

During my last move (over 1500 miles), we (me, hubby, 3 kids) basically lost everything (due to residential fire, and lack of funds to ship everything [else left in storage] after the fire).

Luckily, a friend back home offered to go thru our storage unit to retrieve important personal items. Despite not knowing what she could possibly be in for (my husband and I are ADD-so you can imagine what the unit looked like), she did a great job.

I basically had to let her know that I could only afford to ship the most personal/sentimental/ irreplacable Items. Told her to imagine the things that would be missed long term if everything were lost in a fire.

So, I got my photos, handmade baby blankets from when I was an infant and ones made for my own children, only the MOST important books, family and personal art work. Basically, that was it!! In many ways it has been a blessing, because now there is a limited amount of order to my house, as opposed to total chao!!!

Just saying, don't be too hard on yourself!! Despite losing virtually all my worldly possessions, I am still unable to keep a clean (or even close to decent) house. During the past two days I have spent over 24 hours trying to straiten up my house and I must say that after the firsts 12 hour I could not even tell you what I had done, as the house really looks no different. After 2 days I think there is more improvement. But the truth is that in about 2 days it will be where it was before.

I am starting to believe that the ability to clean and stay organized (for someone with ADD) just simply does not exist!! That is why minimalizing has been working for me: even if I can't organize, there is just less junk in the way...making more messes.

Good Luck!

kgro555
04-17-06, 09:02 PM
I want to thank everyone for replying! I've gotten a few ideas from all of you. Now I just need to find the time and energy to try them out (both of which are hard to come by). Again, thank you! Good luck to the rest of you!

william tell
04-17-06, 09:56 PM
I ponder this question also, I am a slob and I hate it.
I'm more organised at work and one reason that I have incorporated also in my home, get a filing cabinate with a hundred folders and label them all -I need this because I can never decide how long to keep a important document.
Now if I can just find the magic clothes folding and put away fairy :D

happycat
04-17-06, 11:29 PM
I didn't through all the posts carefully, so my apologies if ths has already been said... When I superclean, the only way I can do this is by EMPTYING everything out of the room. I litterally dump anything and everything--from drwaers, desk etc. outside the room. Then, I put things back where they belong. And someone mentioned labled boxes--I would have those outside the room, and just start placing toss-out items in the trash.

This is the only way I can get things superorganized. Let us know what you do :-)

PINKY
04-18-06, 12:33 PM
Great thread!

#1 RULE: NEVER GO IN ALONE!

I call on friends. Embarrassed? Try to remember that you have a disorder. Your friends should be informed of how it manifests.
Use the above suggestions, the egg timer one is great!

I also have a "CLOTHES (AND JUNK) PARTY" every few months and invite a bunch of girlfriends over (TELL THEM TO BRING FRIENDS TOO) and we throw EVERYTHING onto the living-room floor, then it's a free for all!
People go home with lots of cool stuff, I feel O.K. with letting go because I love these girls and the rest is donated to a local women's recovery house.
Maybe Mom could be your "closer" after the party and bag the remaining stuff and get it to your favorite charity?

Good luck!

YOU CAN DO THIS! :D

encnda
04-19-06, 07:35 PM
Hi Kgro...

I wish I saw your post sooner...this is what works for me

I have SUCH a hard time cleaning my room sometimes and I even forget how I had begun before....lol...anyhow...I take everything....and I mean EVERYTHING and put it ON MY BED...even if it is dirty stuff (I KNOW THAT MIGHT SOUND GROSS...BUT YOU'LL GET INTO A GROOVE AND WASH YOUR SHEETS TOO..lol)...if there is not enough room on the bed pile, stuff into the hallway...but make sure you put ALOT on your bed....so you can't fall asleep on it until all the stuff is put away. Then I blast music and take one thing at a time off my bed and put it where it belongs. I ahve NO IDEA why...but this usually works for me...

I hope I helped some!!

Erin :)

Effie
07-27-06, 08:00 AM
I'm right there with you except it's my whole house with 5 kids and a husband who don't help to clean.

Try doing this
get 5 boxes
label the boxes
1st things to throw out
2nd things to keep
3rd things to give away
4th things to fix

DO NOT pull more stuff out to organize it. THat's where I get caught up, I figure since I'm already organzing this stuff, I might as well do more. It just makes a bigger mess and gets worse.
Make your goal to just clear a path to your bed
When you've done that, take a break
if you need to, come back tomorrow and start again
Once a box is full, move it out of the room and get another box.
Soon, the whole room will be cleared out.

This is where it is good for someone else to now come in and help. They can take things to be given away, can help you to organize your stuff and can help you decide if the things you want to fix are worth keeping.

Don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Once you can see the floor and nothing is in the room it will be easy for someone else to help put things where they belong.
Just wanted to say that I tried this with my very messy room and it worked! The room is actually clean now and I can walk through it. Thanks for the tip.

VisualImagery
07-27-06, 11:40 AM
Great thread!

#1 RULE: NEVER GO IN ALONE!

I call on friends. Embarrassed? Try to remember that you have a disorder. Your friends should be informed of how it manifests.
Use the above suggestions, the egg timer one is great!

I also have a "CLOTHES (AND JUNK) PARTY" every few months and invite a bunch of girlfriends over (TELL THEM TO BRING FRIENDS TOO) and we throw EVERYTHING onto the living-room floor, then it's a free for all!
People go home with lots of cool stuff, I feel O.K. with letting go because I love these girls and the rest is donated to a local women's recovery house.
Maybe Mom could be your "closer" after the party and bag the remaining stuff and get it to your favorite charity?

Good luck!

YOU CAN DO THIS! :D
Pinky, I had to laugh, Never go in alone sounds like the beginning of a horror movie. :D I so much organizing to do in my house that it really does get overwhelming. being undermedicated can make this job even more overwhelming. If you feel your ADD is being undertreated, go back to the doc. It does make a difference for me. The suggestions on this thread are wonderful and will work. I would just like to add a few things that I have learned or help me. I am going to break my responces into several posts because it is easier to digest one thing at a time and I can focus better on what I am writing.

Glad I found this post, my parents are coming for a visit. I am a grandmom and still work hard on this.

RADD

VisualImagery
07-27-06, 11:53 AM
Box #6

There are some things that I literally don't whether to keep, toss, or give away or where to put it in the house.Those are the things that sabotage my rhythm and get me derailed. It take too much mental energy to make the decision. So, I finally figured out that instead of fighting it, I would work with it.

http://mud.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/574467453 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkijW38hEcS8AjkRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByYmdtMDl oBGNvbG8DdwRzZWMDc2MEdnRpZANGNzg2XzEyMA--/SIG=1j45vpbbj/EXP=1154101590/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fsearch.yahoo.com%25 2Fsearch%253Fp%253Dcardboard%252Bbox%252Bimages%25 26ei%253DUTF-8%26h=161%26w=200%26imgcurl=yp.bellsouth.com%252Fs ites%252Facmepaperbox%252Fimages%252F3a.jpg%26imgu rl=yp.bellsouth.com%252Fsites%252Facmepaperbox%252 Fimages%252F3a.jpg%26size=7.0kB%26name=3a.jpg%26rc url=http%253A%252F%252Fyp.bellsouth.com%252Fsites% 252Facmepaperbox%252Fpage3.html%26rurl=http%253A%2 52F%252Fyp.bellsouth.com%252Fsites%252Facmepaperbo x%252Fpage3.html%26p=cardboard%2bbox%26type=jpeg%2 6no=2%26tt=37%252C004%26fr=ybr_sbc) 6
Label with a title that makes you laugh.
Any item you have to really think about and can't decide on goes in this box.

The benefits?

You won't get rid of something you might really need/want
It won't slow you down - don't think-just put it there
You will have fewer things to go through "later." Later doesn't happen easily for me and adds more stress.
You can keep going at full speed and get more done.
This has helped me so much. And my brain doesn't hurt from thinking.

earot123
08-12-12, 12:38 PM
I ran across this group when I was searching for ways to clean and keep my messy bedroom straight. I have an adult son with ADD and I suspect I am afflicted with it as well even though I have never been diagnosed. I seem to do fine at work and keep well organized, but at home? Another story...lol. I am struggling now as well with a messy bedroom, although other areas of my home are somewhat messy as well.

I have tried so many things and it works for awhile and then before I know it I turn around and it's a mess again. It seems to happen "magically" although I know that's not true!

Right now, I can't see my bed and the floor and chairs are full of mostly clothing, makeup, etc. I "cleaned out" the closet and bath area and now everything is piled up all over the bedroom. I plan to clean off the bed today...hey maybe I can even sleep in it tonight?!

My dear, late husband could never understand my issue with this as he seemed to be an automatic organized person and never had issues with clutter anywhere in his life.

So, now I am alone and it is even worse as I tried hard to keep things neater for his sake. My dogs don't care, but it would be nice to have a serene bedroom to retire to. I had it painted, had plantation shutters put in, and hardwood flooring. Now, I just need to get it in gear otherwise.

It's easy for me to get it cleaned once I start; it's keeping it that way that is a mystery (yes, yes, I know...put it away...very simplistic and I'm sure it works, but.........)

MX2012
08-12-12, 07:21 PM
Kgro555---

Let's keep this simple. You want to see progress.

Get some large boxes. Forget the sorting etc. Just pickup the stuff by the handfuls and put it in boxes.

Put one or two boxes in the hall or elsewhere. Stack the rest. Then take a break once you can see the entire floor.

Then get trash bags and go through one box at a time and throw out the junk. Don't worry about the rest of the stuff at that time.

Next when you go through the boxes, pull out and bag what you can take to goodwill or salvation army etc. Try to have a few bags by the end of the week, then take them to good will. By this time, you should feel that your load is getting lighter.

CheekyMonkey
08-12-12, 09:39 PM
I like to set a timer for 15 minutes and just do as much as I can.

Sometimes I can keep going, sometimes I can't. But at least I started. Then I do something else and come back for another 15 minutes.