View Full Version : Geodon for ADHD?

blekko
04-05-06, 06:52 PM
Hello, I am new here, and I would like your opinions/knowledge.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and treated with Ritalin till I started highschool.
I just started college a few months ago and I have been having many problems that deal with my ADHD.

Anyway, I went to see the university doctor that is on campus for treatment.
He prescribed me Strattera. I took Strattera for a little over a week, but I had to stop taking it due to adverse side effects.

He then prescribes me Geodon. I cannot find any literature on the internet for its use in the treatment of ADHD. All I can find is its use in the treatment of Schizophrenia/Bipolar disorders. http://www.geodon.com

I am sure you guys can understand why I am apprehensive about starting this medication.

So..have any of you guys heard of anyone prescribed Geodon for ADHD?

Ann74
04-05-06, 08:21 PM
Hi blekko,
I've never heard of this. I wouldn't take it either. I don't think it's inappropriate to ask why this med was prescribed and that you don't feel comfortable taking it. Did you tell him you had already taken ritalin?

blekko
04-05-06, 09:12 PM
Yes, I have told him. He has my past doctor records.
He asked me if I had any suggestions for medication to try, and when I mentioned Ritalin, Adderall, and Concerta he fired off, "I don't prescribe scheduled drugs." He then returns with Geodon.

I am still having problems with ADHD and just want help. I am hoping to see someone else because he seems to lack knowledge in this area. The problem is that psychiatrists in my area are not seeing new patients

Thanks

speedo
04-05-06, 09:19 PM
My guess is that he either thinks you are bipolar, or does not want to write a prescription for a schedule 2 drug, so he is giviing you a third line medication that sometimes works with adhd. I am surprised he did not opt for wellbutrin after trying strattera.... usually they try wellbutrin, unless the patient has a history of seizures.

Me :D

Hyperion
04-05-06, 09:30 PM
see someone else. his one and only concern should be finding the medication which is best indicated to treat your condition, which will provide the most benefit and reduction of symptoms with the least negative effects. now, if he had examined all the possible medications and your past history and concluded that this was the best medication for you, given your symptoms and history, then that would be fine. however, if he has decided that he simply will not prescribe certain drugs, and picked this one based purely on the basis of his own moral dugeon, then in all honesty he should be stripped of his license.

this drug has not been approved to treat add. it has not, to my knowledge, been studied for effectiveness in treating add. it doesn't even seem to be used 'off label' for add, whereas at least some drugs like wellbutrin have some history of off label use. furthermore, the class to which it belongs is not known as being exceptionally useful in treating add. some other atypical antipsychotics, like risperdal, have been used to treat some of the conditions which are sometimes comorbid with add, but these are not standard cases, and there is no medical literature that i know of that would recommend using a drug like this to treat a patient whose only diagnosis is add.

if you'd tried every other possible medication and none of them were helpfull, or they all had side effects or something, and there was also a diagnosis or bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or maybe some form of autism, or epilepsy or other seizures, then this prescription might have made some sense, but otherwise i think you should see another doctor.

Jay Jay
04-06-06, 08:07 PM
This is the first I've heard of Geodon being used to treat ADHD, but it is in the same class of drugs as Abilify, and I hear a lot of parents talking about their kids being treated with it - pretty much with mixed reaction about its usefulness. Geodon is what they call a novel antipsychotic or neuroleptic. Long term use of these drugs can cause serious and even permanent neurological damage. I would think a stimulant would be a far safer choice of medications ! :confused:

Matt S.
04-07-06, 09:19 AM
with some people according to my doc (i asked him about this question yesterday afternoon) ---- he stated that lower doses of Geodon and Abilify for that matter can cause a stimulant-like effect only in Schizophrenics and bipolars and he said that antipsychotics can be more dangerous than amphetamines on people anyhow and if there is no bipolar dx you should not be on that medication... you should try to find a doctor to rx a stimulant because they are 1st line therapies for adhd and unless you are an amphetamine addict (specifically amphetamine or ritalin) I can't understand why they wouldn't rx Adderall XR or Concerta which are the "new" formulas that apparently are "safe" to rx due to low abuse potential... I am a dexedrine man myself but ask for a trial again and if you can't get a rx from him try to see a different doctor

LacyLew
04-07-06, 07:46 PM
Our son (12) was diagnosed with what we and the psychiatrist thought was ADHD/PDD last fall. In a nutshell, we tried six different drugs and none of them worked for his symptoms.

Last week, he was put on Geodon, 80 mg. We give it to him at night because it makes him sleepy, but that's been the only side effect so far.

The difference that this drug made was IMMEDIATE - the next day!! He's calmer, focused, stuff doesn't bother him, gets along better with friends, isn't bothering others during class and doesn't feel the need to make strange noises anymore. My kid is actually likeable now! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say he's bi-polar or schizophrenic. But for whatever reason, this drug is WORKING when nothing else has.

Jay Jay
04-07-06, 09:36 PM
Please forgive my curiosity, but I work with special needs foster children and would be very interested in knowing if they have ruled out Tourette's for your son ? From your description of his symptoms, it sounds as if he may have a very mild case. I do know that ADHD and Tourette's sometimes go together, and that meds like Geodon can be used for treatment.
Keith

LacyLew
04-08-06, 01:44 PM
Hmmm. We've been trying to figure out Nathan for 7 months now, but Tourette's hasn't come up in discussion with the psychiatrist. Might bring that up the next time we see him.

SweetNicole
04-10-06, 07:36 PM
I was homeless for two months, living out of my car with a seriously bad ear infection, no insurance, and no job. I had consulter a free clinics psychiatrist for a subsitute for my 60mg adderall XR that i take in the morning to help me get focused again, since it is a free clinic, the only drug he could give me was stratterra. I also was having very very bad panic/anxiety problems, he wanted to put me on valium, but it was not allowed once again since it is a free clinic and they can't hand out drugs that fall into controlled substance charts. I was initally put on seroquel, this drug didn't do anything but make me tired and more hopeless. i returned back to him and he decided to do Geodon, WORST DRUG EXPERIANCE EVER! after four days of using it i began to feel like i was going insane, my memory would overlap constantly causing me to be in a state of pure confusion. On the fourth day I also had noticed that my perception of my body and world was becoming more and more altered and abnormal, i felt like i was going to forever be stuck in that mindframe. the worst part of all is that since it is mildly calming, I couldn't express how i was feeling to others, I am sure if i did i would have been put into a psychward for being delusional. I am glad to be back on my 60mg Adderall XR which is followed in the evening with a 10mg IR. I am on Ativan (a more potent but shorter peak plasma than Valium) the Ativan works but after the Peak Plasma is reached and i the concentrations in my body fall to the half-life level I become majorly depressed and suicidial, in which case i take a follow-up Ativan dose. I also take 250 Effexor XR for clinical depression. I am on a few other meds for an unrelated condition, those meds are 400mg Spironolactone, 8MG Estrace, and 400MG Prometrium. Why the high levels? well, my body breaks down and rids itself of chemicals way too fast. I Advise NOT TAKING GEODON unless it is a LAST RESORT measure, especially if you don't have any of the diseases that it was designed for. I don't have any of the diseases and I had a horrible experiance with the drug. Always try to get a doctor that has many years experiance and has worked for the same office for a long period of time. There are alot of people who have good intentions, but they don't have the right knowledge or experiance to know what lines are bad lines to cross.

D_Titan
01-30-09, 08:10 PM
Geodon CAN be used for ADHD. It can be effective in treating ADHD symptoms particularly for its effects on norepinphrine. In the words of CrazyMeds, "as it hits a lot of dopamine receptors and does a bit of serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibition." As we all should know, norepinpephrine is a main factor in attention. I suggest going to the following link and reading more about it. However, through my experience, combining stimulants with Geodon increases the effectiveness of your focus, impulsivity, and inattention problems.

http://crazymeds.us/geodon.html

KDLMaj
01-30-09, 09:36 PM
Yeah, Geodon is an atypical antipsychotic that has been used to treat ADHD (with limited success- as noted by another poster). Though the only time I've seen it mentioned for use is in children with serious co-morbid conditions like autism, bipolar disorder, and other maladaptive behavior disorders. To my (limited) knowledge there is no substantial evidence that Geodon helps with ADHD- it's mostly anecdotal with small sample sizes and in groups with several co-existing disorders.

The reality is that your doctor is being very irresponsible. It isn't uncommon (unfortunately) for doctors to substitute their own moral judgements for scientific research. Your doctor is taking unnecessary risks with your health and condition because of a personal bias against stimulant medication. As someone else already suggested- you need to request a different doctor at the university. If you have documentation of ADHD, then they need to treat you with first-line medications for your disorder. Demand no less.

Nownot confused
02-03-11, 01:58 PM
I take Geodon for adhd. I do understand that it should not be the first choice, but it is actually the first med Ive used for adhd that has finally worked. I'm so used to struggling to accomplish basic tasks which feels terrible. My mom tested my IQ as a child because my abilities were so disjointed. I had an IQ of 145, but I couldn't understand how to organize doing the dishes. Once, I actually cut my finger on purpose just so I wouldn't have to suffer through trying to figure it out. Today, I woke up and I just did it ... Washed them without worrying or wondering how to, or if I could stand to. Last night,i read a book without forcing myself.

Luckily, Im smart and determined, so at 41, Im in my last semester of law school with almost a 3.0. My point is this is the first semester where it is not physically painful to try to sit still and read my law books. Before Geodon, I had to learn as much as I could from class and cram at the end of the term.Living off adrenaline may work somewhat, but I have developed an anxiety disorder from living like that. I used to suffer from ADHD, now I just have it. I'm so thankful to a young psychiatrist who took a chance on me and didn't stop prescribing until we found the right med. Once my body got used to Geodon, and no longer sleepy from it, I could take it in the day time and it works EVEN better.

If you haven't tried a lot of other meds, this may not be for you. But, if like me, you have had too many side effects from other meds, or they just didn't work, don't ignore the possibilities available through this med. It has saved my life, professionally and personally.