View Full Version : a trip to the dentist...

speedo
04-07-06, 06:00 PM
I went to the dentist today. I knew it was going to be a problem for me, so I took some risperdal an hour before my appointment so that I would not go completely crazy when they started working in my mouth.

They had to numb the right side of my mouth. The novacaine did not work very well.
They gave me 6 times the usual dose. I still felt pain, but not a lot. I was *VERY* stressed by the time it was done.

It is like this every time.

anybody else ?

ME :D

ADHDDeeJay
04-09-06, 04:29 AM
i dont have solution for you :(. its just one of those things you have to live through i guess.

i had peridontal disease as a kid... half my gums were surgically removed and i think my pain threshold went through the ceiling... even though my gums are practically destroyed now and i have to have super intense cleanings every 3 months, i go without the novacaine. the dentist thinks im nuts and doesnt understand how i manage through the pain :P

BlessedLady
04-09-06, 01:00 PM
Speedo-
There's a type of Novacane that the dentists use on their pts that have Cardiac problems &/r high blood pressure. Back before I was dx & put on the proper meds I use to have terrible panic attacks at just the thought of going to the Dentist. Long story, goes back to the denist i had as a kid. But the Dentisi I've used for over 34 yrs is a SweetHeart. And he has always understood & been very patient with me. In 1985 I was dx with a heart condition, which in my case,Thank God (my personal belief I'm not asking for it to be anyone elses), is very minor as long as I'm careful when it comes to dental work, cuts, surgery anything that could cause Bacterial Endocarditis. It's Mitral Valve Prolapse, Type 1, No Mumer, No Click.
Anyways after that dx he started using the "red" Novacaine. And I noticed & so did he that it took for ever for me to get even close to numb, I finally got to where I would try & stand the pain cause I got so tired of sitting there after a few hrs.
Perhaps your Dentist is using this as a percausion since some of the ADD meds are stimunalnt & raise the heat rate & bp. Its just a thought.

BlessedLady

Crazygirl79
04-09-06, 08:37 PM
Hi Speedo.

I haven't been to the dentist since I was 17:o and I absolutely hate them:faint:

But I will eventually have to go to the dentist to get my toothy pegs checked up on....:eek: :faint:

I hope you were able to relax after you left that appointment?

Selena:D

speedo
04-09-06, 10:01 PM
Well, I discovered after the fact that wellbutrin inhibits cocaines and opiates. Which means that about all of the local anesthetics a dentis has will work poorly or not at all.

This means that I need to not be on meds the next time I go to the dentist. Oh joy... hyper and in the dentists chair! LOL.

Me :D

Speedo-
There's a type of Novacane that the dentists use on their pts that have Cardiac problems &/r high blood pressure. Back before I was dx & put on the proper meds I use to have terrible panic attacks at just the thought of going to the Dentist. Long story, goes back to the denist i had as a kid. But the Dentisi I've used for over 34 yrs is a SweetHeart. And he has always understood & been very patient with me. In 1985 I was dx with a heart condition, which in my case,Thank God (my personal belief I'm not asking for it to be anyone elses), is very minor as long as I'm careful when it comes to dental work, cuts, surgery anything that could cause Bacterial Endocarditis. It's Mitral Valve Prolapse, Type 1, No Mumer, No Click.
Anyways after that dx he started using the "red" Novacaine. And I noticed & so did he that it took for ever for me to get even close to numb, I finally got to where I would try & stand the pain cause I got so tired of sitting there after a few hrs.
Perhaps your Dentist is using this as a percausion since some of the ADD meds are stimunalnt & raise the heat rate & bp. Its just a thought.

BlessedLady