View Full Version : Grawolph, Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth

Grawolph
10-23-03, 03:53 PM
Hello and Merry Meet all!

My name that I prefer to go by is Grawolph (as in "Grey Wolf"), but in RL I'm a 43 year old, male. How I got the nickname is a story for another thread sometime.....

I guess the one thing that could sum me up is the phrase I heard all through school, "He's not living up to his potential....". If I'm not mistaken, a lot of you can relate to the same phrase. I would got through a long, boring history of my life to date, but let's just bring it into the present.

A few months ago, I was either reading something, listening to something, watching something or talking to someone when it struck me that they were talking about me. They (it?) was describing my life to a "T". When they got finished, they said something about ADD. Of course, I thought, "there's no way I can have ADD -- that's for kids!" I decided though, that it fit my life so well that it might be worth investigating.

I immediately hooked up with Google and did a few searches for Adult ADD. I found out that it truly did exist and was pretty prevelant from what I could tell. I found a couple of online tests which I printed out and asked my wife to fill out as well as me. My results were, "Don't walk, run to the nearest Dr....". My wife's results about me were very much the same.

I found a book that was recommended in several different forums that I had read, "So I'm Not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid" written by a couple of female authors who both suffered from ADD as well. I was about 3 chapters into it when I realized that I was reading my life story. I grabbed a highlighter and began marking all those symptoms that they related that I had experienced during my life. Well, from that point on through the rest of the symptoms, the book was almost completely yellow highlighter.

I decided to start with my GP. A great guy, but sometimes he's too quick to get the "quick fix" in. I took my questionaires (both of them) and my book to him to talk to him first. I told him my symptom's and what I suspected. He immediately prescribed Adderall XR 20mg once a day. I started it soon after and have been on it for 30 days.

I went back to my GP the other day and told him that it didn't seem to make a huge difference in my focus and the ability to actually get through the day. He raised it to 30mg once a day which I started this morning.

I'm glad to find such an active forum about ADD and hope to learn much from everyone here. I'm feeling better now than I have in a long time, and much more focused. I also have the ability to switch gears without losing what I was doing before. I'm sure it's going to take some time, but now that I've identified the problem, I'm hoping to work on the solution. :D

Grawolph

Tara
10-23-03, 04:05 PM
Welcome to ADD Forums!!!

Andrew
10-23-03, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the ADD Forums :D

sixes
10-23-03, 06:17 PM
Welcome!!! Make sure you read the forumn on the diffrent meds that are used to treat add. Not every med is for every person. And there is alot of experience on these boards.