View Full Version : Dosage for Concerta by Child's weight/age

unstrung
04-11-06, 09:53 AM
Hi - I am new to this forum. I have 2 ADHD boys -one moderate(9) and one severe (11)who is also ODD and has Conduct Disorder. I actually had gone so far as to put the 11 year old (8 at the time) into foster care. He's still there, supposedly I will get him back at the end of June.

My question is this: a child behavioural psychiatryst I am working with has prescribed 2X37 mg Concerta with 1 - 5mg Ritalin tablet in the morning, and 1 of the Ritalins at 4:00 PM. Children's aid are giving him something else - an orange pill (what I don't know). They were supposed to have changed the medication to match, but they insist this dosage is too big. He's about 80 lbs. Does anyone know how much an 11 year old can take?

Also, how do you get a child to take their medication when they won't swallow tablets, He is such a different loveable boy when he's taken the full dosage - he's alert, pleasant, - not drowsy -, able to concentrate and listen. I wish they would come out with a patch - I'm sure I'd have no problem getting him to wear it. Fortuneately I don't have that problem with the 9 year old. He more or less opens his mouth like a baby bird and take his meds (Dexadrine spansule) with no problem.

I am pretty much at my wits end. My house is a disaster, I am working full time and my sister watches them (although she's unable to sufficiently do so), I just started back to work after being off for 1.5 years due to stress/depression (is it any wonder why:rolleyes: ?) If I can't get him to take his meds and be able to control him then I know Children's Aid won't give him back. (He's presently on extended visitation - the weekend and 2 school days.)

Looking forward to learning more and being a little less unstrung,
Diane

chameleon
04-11-06, 12:40 PM
Hi - I am new to this forum. I have 2 ADHD boys -one moderate(9) and one severe (11)who is also ODD and has Conduct Disorder. I actually had gone so far as to put the 11 year old (8 at the time) into foster care. He's still there, supposedly I will get him back at the end of June.

My question is this: a child behavioural psychiatryst I am working with has prescribed 2X37 mg Concerta with 1 - 5mg Ritalin tablet in the morning, and 1 of the Ritalins at 4:00 PM. Children's aid are giving him something else - an orange pill (what I don't know). They were supposed to have changed the medication to match, but they insist this dosage is too big. He's about 80 lbs. Does anyone know how much an 11 year old can take?Dosage for stimulants isn't measured by weight like most drugs. What works for a 110 lb female may be too much for a 250 lb man.

Also, how do you get a child to take their medication when they won't swallow tablets, He is such a different loveable boy when he's taken the full dosage - he's alert, pleasant, - not drowsy -, able to concentrate and listen. I wish they would come out with a patch - I'm sure I'd have no problem getting him to wear it. Fortuneately I don't have that problem with the 9 year old. He more or less opens his mouth like a baby bird and take his meds (Dexadrine spansule) with no problem.They've just come out with a Ritalin patch for children. Ask your doctor about it, and when they'll come out with a patch for other ADHD meds.

I am pretty much at my wits end. My house is a disaster, I am working full time and my sister watches them (although she's unable to sufficiently do so), I just started back to work after being off for 1.5 years due to stress/depression (is it any wonder why:rolleyes: ?) If I can't get him to take his meds and be able to control him then I know Children's Aid won't give him back. (He's presently on extended visitation - the weekend and 2 school days.)So you need a quick fix. Have you tried adding it to applesauce? Ask your pharmacist. He should be able to advice you well on your problem.

unstrung
04-11-06, 03:34 PM
The patch sounds great. I hope it's available in Canada. It would be a godsend.
Diane (Unstrung)

Scattered
04-11-06, 06:52 PM
ADHD meds unlike many other meds are not done by weight. Sometimes a 250 pound man will need less than an 80 pound boy. I'd talk to your doctor and see what he says. If it's child services though, I don't know how much you can change things.

Have you been screened for ADHD? It's not unusual for a parent of ADHD children to have ADHD themselves -- for women that is frequently inattentive ADD. The difficulties you mentioned with keeping the house up and difficulties with depression and such are very common with ADD too (and yes I realize that having two ADHD boys is enough to disorganized and depress a non ADDer too). Poor stress tolerance is real common with ADD. If you're interested you might check out Sari Solden's book Women with Attention Deficit Disorder.

Scattered

unstrung
04-21-06, 09:05 AM
Hi - Thank you for your response. I am pretty sure I am ADHD. When i was younger it used to work for me, but with the added stress of the boys, it has been diffucult to cope. I will be seeing my doctor next week and I will ask her about it and about taking stress leave off again - I think if I leave it much longer, I will have a full breakdown, then I won't be any good to my kids or anyone else.
This site has been a godsend.

Thank You
Diane

christophersmom
10-26-06, 11:08 AM
My son can't swallow his meds either. He takes it with Trix yogurt every morning.

SDspedTEACHER
10-27-06, 01:02 AM
According to Dr. Hallowell's book, "I'm not lazy..." There is no exact weight per dosage measurement, but it is common to have about 1mg/kg of body weight. Unless I read that wrong, and someone will correct me.

Matt S.
10-27-06, 01:00 PM
when I was a child at age four my dose of ritalin was 30 mg 5 times a day and I was four so it is individual.