View Full Version : Opinions on Drug Holidays

bentbob
04-11-06, 02:08 PM
My doctor cautioned me about taking any drug holiday....he says it's a shock to your system. So many people here seem to take them to keep drug tolerance from developing. I'm on Adderall, and I've hit a wall where they don't do what they did when I first started taking them. My doc won't up the dosage. What's your feelings on drug holidays? Thanks

Shelle0812
04-11-06, 03:06 PM
My doc told me when I first started taking adderall to take off the weekends. I def feel lower on sat and sun and have to find other ways to get going, but it is worth it. Mondays, I feel the medicine just as strong, and by friday I know i need to take off sat and sun again. This method has worked for me. Let us know what you end up doing!

mrs A
04-11-06, 04:24 PM
My sons dr. said it was up to us if we wanted him to have a drug fee weekend. His only comment on going off for the weekend was if there was side effects that were of concern(lack of sleep, appetite) could at least have some recovery time. Hes 11 and can't afford to lose any more weight so not sure what to do either. Weekends without drugs were very hard to deal with(both our opinion and our sons) He is also on Adderall xr but only new to it, 2 months. also curious to hear some opinions. But this is so individual!!! maybe a different drug? This is also what we needed to do was try a different drug when one seemed to "stop" working but still have the side effects.
Good Luck

runinl8
04-11-06, 05:21 PM
My sons dr. said it was up to us if we wanted him to have a drug fee weekend. His only comment on going off for the weekend was if there was side effects that were of concern(lack of sleep, appetite) could at least have some recovery time. Hes 11 and can't afford to lose any more weight so not sure what to do either. Weekends without drugs were very hard to deal with(both our opinion and our sons) He is also on Adderall xr but only new to it, 2 months. also curious to hear some opinions. But this is so individual!!! maybe a different drug? This is also what we needed to do was try a different drug when one seemed to "stop" working but still have the side effects.
Good Luck
This is exactly ditto for us except my son is 8. I mostly do this because he really doesn't have too much trouble at home and so he can catch up on his eating because like mrs A's child, he can't afford to loose anymore. (although I'd be up for the challenge:p )

Scattered
04-11-06, 05:33 PM
My doctor told me that consistency is easier on your heart and blood pressure and stuff -- you're body kind of adjusts to that level. Those aren't problem areas for me, so he said I could take holidays if desired. I do occasionally when I don't have a big need to be organized and "present" (or when I simply forget to take my meds:rolleyes: ). The only down side I have is that my stomach kind of hurts the first day back on, just like when I first started meds. It's usually a good reminder of why I take the meds in the first place, although I almost had an accident the first time I went off, so gotta be careful! It could be that like me, you just have gotten used to your improved functioning and forgotten how it was before. Drug holiday's remind me of that.

Scattered

Aizlyne
04-11-06, 06:41 PM
a year ago I was prescribed Ativan as a sleep aid. I don't need it all the time and informed my doctor of this. She said that If I only use it when I need it, it will work better. So far this has proven correct. I only use it during particularly stressful months (like College finals and midterms) or when I can't keep my mind from racing.