View Full Version : Fish oil and the West Virginia Miner

madd
04-11-06, 07:11 PM
Since I was dx'ed with ADHD I've been getting fish oil from Dr. Sears via the internet. I've been getting lots of emails and newsletters from his company that I hardly ever read but this one caught my eye http://www.drsears.com/zonemondaysfeatureopen.page?zoneMondayID=256

Remarkable as it seems, fish oil has been given much of the credit for his recovery. Here's what the Pittsburgh paper said http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/mostread/s_438686.html

I've always been pretty skeptical of what fish oil can do. Now I think I'm gonna be a little more serious about taking it. Fishy burps or not.

Tara
04-11-06, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that link it's very interesting.

relvinnian
04-12-06, 08:36 PM
Fish oils have a lot of good research behind them... especially EPA. But this kind of incredible recovery is an isolated case. The fact that this man recovered, and was administered fish oils, does not prove that fish oils cause the recovery. The research in this area is very sketchy right now, because there haven't been enough studies, with enough statistical power, to determine causation.

Anecdotes from many other branches of fish oil research indicate that it could be very helpful in situations like this. Nevertheless, my feeling is that fish oils are not a miracle by any stretch. They may help, but they aren't the magic elixer of life that this article seems to be portraying them as.

Fish oils are undoubtedly good for you. The question is: How good?

madd
04-12-06, 10:33 PM
Dr. Michael DeGeorgia, head of the neurological intensive care program at Cleveland Clinic, who was not involved in McCloy's treatment, said that although the hyperbaric oxygen treatments and the fatty acids might have helped, more than anything, McCloy recovered because his doctors didn't give up.
In a world with so much against us, its good to have something so good for us. Miracle cure or just beneficial, its a small, good thing.

relvinnian
04-13-06, 11:39 PM
In a world with so much against us, its good to have something so good for us. Miracle cure or just beneficial, its a small, good thing. Well said :)