View Full Version : med visit to doc

chloe516
04-13-06, 09:13 PM
I went to my Dr. yesterday. First of all I was 10 min. late and had to wait an hour to get fit in since he had taken the next appointment by the time I arrived. The Dr. seemed mad since it was the end of the day, but took me.

I figured out I took 2 of my 36mg concerta yesterday... and told the Dr. this actually seemed like a good dose for me. I was able to tune out other conversations I didn't need to hear. Usually I can grade a paper while reading aloud since I can switch modes quickly (i check a question at the end of a paragraph) and wasn't able to do that. I think it may have been because I was more focused. I also remembered a lot better. I told that to the Dr. and he said it was a fairly high dose. I also told him that Concerta only lasts about 5 or 6 hours for me. He asked me how long the 72mg I took yesterday lasted, and I got another 2 hours or so out of it. (still not getting me through my work day)

He then decided to do Ritalin IR 20mg 3x per day. Once when I wake up, once at noon, and once at 5 (for helping with social situations and with work for my masters), so basially breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He wanted to do something else, cant' remember what, involved taking meds at weird times, but since I'm a teacher I wasn't comfortable with it and knew I wouldn't be able to do anything but an XR. I'm not to sure about this three times a day thing.

I asked him about taking concerta to get me through most of they day, but then a Ritalin IR for the rest, and he said that since concerta doesn't last as long as it's supposed to for me, that taking the IR 3x per day would give me more control.

Anyone else do this? I would rather take the XR. My dr. said to try it and see how it goes, and at least we would know what Ritalin IR dose I would need and play around from there.

I don't feel like this doc really understands ADHD, he has said some things and his personality don't make me feel comfortable. I have read a lot that says counseling is needed and I need a lot of help with social skills and he just wants to do the meds.:(

tristan k
04-13-06, 09:42 PM
Chloe,

I take concerta, 54mg per day. I also found that the once a day dose didn't get me through my teaching day :eyebrow: and then grad classes at night. :eek:

I'm still at the same dose. But, I take 36mg in the morning and then the other 18mg at lunch. That helped me a lot. Hopefully what the doc is suggesting will be helpful to you.

However, if you're not comfortable with the doc, might want to look for a new one. I think it's so important for the doc to understand ADHD and to have a good rapport. If there are better choices, why suffer with a doc you're not comfortable with.

Oh, and great avatar change. Is this the "final" choice (for now at least?:D )

be well,
tristan:p

speedo
04-13-06, 10:38 PM
why not take 18 mg two hours apart instead of 36 mg once ? Talk to your doc about it.

Me :D

relvinnian
04-13-06, 11:14 PM
why not take 18 mg two hours apart instead of 36 mg once ? Talk to your doc about it.

Me :D I doubt that would make the insurance company very happy ;).

Multiple IR dosing is very common. A few years ago, it was really the only route to go, because there weren't good ER formulations on the market. I take 10mg of ritalin IR 3-4 times a day (usually 4). I like the flexibility, but I don't like how incorporated into my life it has to be. I took ritalin LA 2x per day for awhile, but I'm not longer on insurance so I can't even come close to affording it. Adding an IR dose to your Concerta, or perhaps switching to Ritalin LA and going with an IR dose afterwards, may be a sound choice for you. If you the multi-IR schedule interferes too much see what you can work out with your doctor. On the other hand, many do prefer the IR route, so it depends on you.

Best of luck ;)

chloe516
04-13-06, 11:20 PM
final avatar for now...

I was am on a total of 60 mg of the Ritalin IR, 76 of the Concerta worked for me.

What I don't like about the timing is that I have to take a dose during the school day. I'm trying it, just not sure it's for me.

I will look into another doc though. This is vacation week, so I might try to remember to make some calls next week.