View Full Version : Best medication for someone heavily depressed & anxietic

jayjay
04-17-06, 10:02 PM
Hello, I've been heavily depressed and anxietic for over 6 years. I am almost certain that I have ADHD. I have never took any medication for my depression or anxiety or ADHD. I have been reading that ADHD medication can increase anxiety and depression, so I am not sure what to do. When people speak to me it's like I have trouble hearing them, sometimes I will lose a whole sentance that someone spoke to me and just act like I heard them and just say "Mmmhmm." While another person standing right next to me hears the entire thing and responds. Sometimes I will totally misinterpret what someone tells me when they are standing right in front of me too. Talking on the phone and listening to the TV or vice versa is impossible for me, I just can't explain why, but it's as if my brain can only focus on 1 thing at a time and I REALLY have to be tuned in to totally absorb and understand what's going on. If someone throws a math problem at me my brain sort of goes into a panic and I can't get a clear head and a clear path to solve a problem, sometimes I get unsure of myself too much and backtrack on every step because I think I might've done an error somewhere, the result = slow.

EYEFORGOT
04-17-06, 10:04 PM
Hi jayjay.

Are you under a doctor's care for this?

jayjay
04-17-06, 10:24 PM
I have never seen a doctor for this. One thing that is deterring me is that psychiatrists are kind of expensive. I don't have health insurance either. I have heard psychiatrists go for 300-400$ an initial visit. Medication would cost me alot of money too but I think I might be able to quality for a patient assitance program for that. I've been suffering for a long time :( .

speedo
04-17-06, 10:33 PM
Your MD can treat you for depression. My guess is that the first medication your cootro will try will be an SSRI like prozac or paxil.

Go to your doctor, don't suffer.

A desperate person with little money might try St Johns wort for depression, but since it is a plant extract you will accumulate toxic effects after a while. It is not a good drug for long term treatment (plants never are because they have lots of toxins in them). Plus, if you have bipolar disorder that happens to masquerading as depression at this time, taking an antidepressant like St Johns wort could drive you into a major manic episode that I guarantee you won't forget.

You might try St John's wort with your doctor's supervision. it does work for some people. You doc will probably want to test your liver function every once in a while due to the toxicity of the plant (a blood test).

Go to your doctor, depression is a serious illness. I lost a friend just two months ago who suicided due to her deep depression. I miss her a lot. Please don't be a statistic.

ME :D

I have never seen a doctor for this. One thing that is deterring me is that psychiatrists are kind of expensive. I don't have health insurance either. I have heard psychiatrists go for 300-400$ an initial visit. Medication would cost me alot of money too but I think I might be able to quality for a patient assitance program for that. I've been suffering for a long time :( .

relvinnian
04-19-06, 12:59 AM
Speedo is right. A good doctor will first treat the condition that is causing the most functional impairment. In your case that seems like depression and anxiety. In addition, depression/anxiety cause difficulties with concentration that can mimic ADHD, and depressed individuals have impaired cognition. Those who achieve full remission of depressive symptoms gain the ability to focus and prioritize again. However, more and more studies are finding that, in addition to serotonergic medications such as paxil, prozac, zoloft, lexapro, etc. that generally relieve symptoms of anxiety, guilt, or generally, neuroticism, additional medications are often needed to improve residual symptoms. With SSRI therapy symptoms of anhedonia, apathy, poor concentration, and poor motivation, often persist. Adding a drug like wellbutrin, strattera, provigil, or sometimes, a stimulant, will often result in full remission of symptoms, as these drugs more specifically target the systems that regulate those behaviors.

beccablue
04-19-06, 08:38 AM
try to find an organization that offers therapy & psychiatry on a sliding scale basis. either catholic charities, lutheran family services, universities, clinics etc.
then get a diagnosis. if you need a prescription, ask about generics, get free samples, & sign up for a patient assistance program.

Shielded
04-23-06, 08:43 PM
Yeah I am like that too...I basically just don't pay attention to anyone or anything unless I am really interested, and I get depression and anxiety pretty easily. When I take adderall, it stabilizes my mood much better and I can focus on boring things for a long time. I do not really get anxiety when on the adderall and meeting new people and stuff, and basically the medication just allows to be myself.
It also teaches you how to balance yourself out when you're not on the medication so you're not dependant on it (although it is addictive).

chameleon
04-23-06, 09:33 PM
So sorry about your friend Speedo :( ((hugs))

Jayjay, there are meds out there that can help so much. I was on Lexapro and it was a life changing experience for me in the way it relieved my depression and anxiety. As they're all telling you, find a way to see a doc and get treatment. You deserve to live happily.