View Full Version : Packing for vacations and ADD do they gel well?

meadd823
04-22-06, 03:58 AM
Okay……. With summer coming pretty soon maybe some packing discussions would be useful!

as an aside and maybe could be a whole new topic of discussion, how about going somewhere with the family (for us that would be five kids, my husband and I and my mom who is our nanny) and once we arrive, even though I totally overpacked we are missing all sorts of stuff that we needed and we end up going out and buying. Meantime we cart around all sorts of luggage filled with stuff we didn't need to bring along.

Parent threead (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23226)

Okay how does your packing go?

How many do you have to pack for?

Do you usually end up with too much of the wrong things or are you good at this!
Are you some one who pack a lot or not enough?

Do you fall in the successful middle by actually using the stuff you pack and not having to purchace forgotten stuff like underwear, socks!

If you are good at packing please do share any tips that help with success!

~boots~
04-22-06, 04:08 AM
I once gave all the kids a list of things to pack for a holiday. I had them tick the items off as they found them..
Sounds good..but at the time I didn't even think about the fact my 5 year old (the youngest at the time) couldn't read all the words..hehehe..she left behind bathers and jammies as she didn't understand it:faint: :faint: typical add moment from me there:p

meadd823
04-22-06, 05:24 AM
Hey at least you thought of making a list.....instead of impulsively chunking stuff in suite cases five minutes before you had to leave!

chameleon
04-22-06, 10:17 AM
I am the world's worst vacation packer. It has to do with my ADHD inability to see priorities. I pack EVERYTHING.

chloe516
04-22-06, 10:28 AM
I always have packed everything as well! And somehow I still end up managing to forget things.

I remember one time, when I was 10 or so, my mother was in a car accident and my dad said to bring something to do at the hospital. Well, aparently I thought we would be gone for a long time. I packed a duffel bag with every book I owned!!!! My dad must have been stressed and worried because he let me take them all!!! :p

Now, when I go to my parents' overnight, I just take my laundry with me, that way i dont' have to worry about forgetting some kind of clothing, like I always do! My parents always have extra toothbrushes and things like that, so those aren't a problem.

I just had a moment of brilliance!!!!!!!!!:D:D Thinking about how lists end up still being tricky since I usually forget to put something on my list, I think I'll make a list on my computer and save it!! That way I don't have to think every time!!!!:D I guess there would have to be a list for trips to warm places and a list for trips to colder places though...:rolleyes:

chameleon
04-22-06, 10:33 AM
I think things through too much. Like even if we were just staying one night somewhere, I'd pack an extra outfit for everyone, just in case we got muddy, and a light outfit in case we get hot, and one for if we get cold, and one for if we need to dress up, and one for casual, and one for if our dressy one gets dirty, and another for if our casual one gets dirty, and .....

chameleon
04-22-06, 10:36 AM
And then there's all the items I pack.
If people get bored I have to pack every music, game, entertainment item we own. Plus I buy more in case Armegeddon hits and people are bored for a long time :p

chloe516
04-22-06, 10:36 AM
Me too!! And a pair of shoes for each outfit too!!!!! Chameleon, are you my mind-twin???;)

chameleon
04-22-06, 10:37 AM
Oh yes! The SHOES! What a nightmare! LOL

chameleon
04-22-06, 10:42 AM
And nail clippers in case someone gets a hangnail, and a nail file (of COURSE!), ALL my make-up (never know what shade of eye shadow I might need!), and every piece of jewelry, and a can opener in case we get stranded in Antarctica (never pack cans though (?)), clear nail polish in case I get a run in my stockings, billions of stockings, extra food (for that Antarctica moment), books, the entire content of my medicine cabinet ...

chloe516
04-22-06, 10:45 AM
nailclippers, nailfile, asprin, shout wipes, deoderant...all that fun stuff is in my pocketbook already!!! they come in so handy. Can't tell you the number of times I have left home forgetting to put on deoderant. Dont want to be stinky!!!!:rolleyes::p

Yes, I do always look like a baglady since I have so much in my pocketbook. I could NEVER have one of those cute little pocketbooks.:(

chameleon
04-22-06, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I'm jealous of those cute little purses too. I feel like my grandma with everything I keep in my purse. We should start a thread What's In Your Purse/Wallet right now? LOL!

meadd823
05-04-06, 01:01 AM
I will admit children do make packing more complicated! It would take me a week to pack for me and my four kids!

My ex-husband laughed at me one time because I had list for me and all four children......funny me and the kids made it to Fiesta Texas with our shirts and pants...yep ex was soo busy laughing at me he left home with all shirts and no trousers!!!!

I like the computer list idea through!

Now children are grown and have children of their own! It is just Gary and I. If I traveled with children like I do now I would have had to spend 40 hours a week packing and unpacking!

I have a certain bag I always pack my personals in. I pack my personal stud as I use it the morning before. Instead of placing item in their place in bath rom I put them in my brwn back pack.

Gary's sister got us one of those fancy luggage sets because we travel a lot. I used the one for clothes, even though we had more than enough room for my personal toiletries I HAD to use my brown back pack thing because I didn't want to "reconfigure" where to put tooth brushes vs. Hair brushes (it can be very hairy ordeal if tooth and hair brushes packed in same compartment) The idea of trying to put my personal stuff any where but my usual bag caused anxiety!

I have a certain place for each toiletry item in my brown bag. It has a side zipper thing for my eye stuff (contact lens case, glasses, solution ect..) I have a very ritualistic almost OCD approach to packing!

When Gary and I first got together it took me for ever to pack and I did bring stuff I didn't need and forgot stuff I needed! Now I have it down to almost an art form....of caorse I have to pack one way for flights and another for truck travel, except my bag of personal stuff it gets packed the same way every time weather I am going to be gone for a week or a day, it doesn’t matter if we are going by boat, plane, truck or camel! Gary has a travel bag looks like a shaving kit he keeps it packed...his little shave thing fits into my brown back pack! He has forgotten stuff so many times he has duplicates of every thing so he leaves one in his travel bag the other he uses at home......he aint got no ADD!

P.S. The if the weather gets cold or hot ect… amount of clothing stuff can be decreased by planning outfits in layers! Add a jacket instead of an entire out fit!

I also make use of weather.com!! Last trip to Ohio the Texans were easy to spot, they were the ones in shorts with purple knees…. Yea it might be 80 during early April in Austin Texas but it isn’t 80 in Cleveland Ohio! I stopped long enough to ask if they had ever heard of weather dot com!!!

~boots~
05-04-06, 01:56 AM
I have a certain bag I always pack my personals in. I pack my personal stud !!!:D :D now, I would love a personal stud :p

(I hope that didn't sound nasty, it just made me laugh when i read it! :eek: ) I figured you mean to say *stuff* but stud sounds like it is much more fun!!:p

literati
05-04-06, 10:22 PM
Packing.. oh how I loathe packing. Lately I start working on a packing list about six weeks before the trip. Of course the packing list ends up turning into a shopping list of all the new shoes and outfits I need in order to look cute in this year's set of vacations pics :p. So I'll have this incredibly long, detailed list to try to ensure I don't forget anything. But then I procrastinate on packing until the VERY last minute and end up forgetting things anyway... :rolleyes:

Crackerjack
05-04-06, 11:44 PM
I used to overpack, especially with books, but I seemed to have tamed it pretty well over the last year or so.

I just have to pack for myself and used to wait till the last minute, till I read about a trick where I pretend something is due tomorrow when it's actually not to get myself started.

It helped. I've started doing some light packing as far as a week in advance, which really helps cut down on the running around at the last minute.

What I found really helpful was a series of packing gear from Eagle Creek. I think they sell something similar at Target for a cheaper price. It's great to organize my shirts, socks, etc. and really helps maximizing the space I have in my bag/luggage.