View Full Version : OCD and Procrastination

stevek182
04-27-06, 05:18 AM
Is it possible to have OCD and be a major procrastanator?

chameleon
04-27-06, 11:20 AM
I have OCD and I procrastinate like crazy!

stevek182
04-27-06, 11:53 AM
thanx i thought it was just a wierd combo, and wow, so im i know its been said to me b4 but there really are others like me

chloe516
04-27-06, 12:05 PM
I thought ADD and OCD were a weird combo, that's why I didn't believe my diagnosis for 4 years! It's possible, and I do it to!;)

bekahboo714
05-04-06, 04:51 AM
Before I knew I had ADD I hated myself for the huge procrastinator I had become. I was so ashamed. I procrastinate about mailing packages, getting film developed, or returning movies. I put off just about anything either by a day or several weeks! I have dry cleaning I dropped off about two months ago and I still haven't gone to pick it up.

It also affected my work. I would put off so many customer orders and it would get me in hot water.

ADHDSupport
05-04-06, 01:41 PM
Before I knew I had ADD I hated myself for the huge procrastinator I had become. I was so ashamed. I procrastinate about mailing packages, getting film developed, or returning movies. I put off just about anything either by a day or several weeks! I have dry cleaning I dropped off about two months ago and I still haven't gone to pick it up.

It also affected my work. I would put off so many customer orders and it would get me in hot water.
Yes I too thought I was just a loser or whatever due to my total and constant procrastination. Did you also while putting it off did you think to yourself I know I shoud be doing x thing, say mailing something, I would be basically staring at the package, knowing full well I had to mail it, couldnt think of 1 good reason not to mail it, but I would just NOT mail it. Almost like a physical block, my mind wouldnt allow me to mail it. I dont know if i am describing that right.

-A

stevek182
05-04-06, 05:01 PM
yeah i know what you mean, i do that all the time, specially when im cleanin my quarters. ill just stare at the mess on my bed cuz thats my routine i put everything on my bed then vacuum, then i just stare at it all on my bed and it gets moved to the floor when i go to bed, but then it bothers me so i throw it in my wall locker or ill go nuts. yeah i do this with about everything i do, i hope the doc gives me better meds

bekahboo714
05-05-06, 01:57 AM
I tend to look at the mail or think, "I've got to send that movie back to Netflix so I can get another one!" but then I'm like, "Nah, I don't want to do it now. I know I need to but I'll do it later." And this happens everyday.

I also will cancel or not show up for appointments because I don't want to go--"I'll do it later."

prettyblonde
05-16-06, 05:30 PM
Yes I too thought I was just a loser or whatever due to my total and constant procrastination. Did you also while putting it off did you think to yourself I know I shoud be doing x thing, say mailing something, I would be basically staring at the package, knowing full well I had to mail it, couldnt think of 1 good reason not to mail it, but I would just NOT mail it. Almost like a physical block, my mind wouldnt allow me to mail it. I dont know if i am describing that right.

-A
You just described me to a "T" ! I do not have OCD though...

prettyblonde
05-16-06, 05:32 PM
I also will cancel or not show up for appointments because I don't want to go--"I'll do it later."
I just did this last week...feel terribly guilty :(

babybuddha
05-21-06, 03:51 PM
I love this topic. I have so many lists, reminding me of things that I "need" to do. I get fired up and do one or two jobs off the list (paying bills, etc) then get distracted and do something else. Sometimes I get stuck cleaning - for hours - I look at it as my procrastination tool. "I'll do it later" .... love it. I've been pushing myself a bit more to get stuff done, rather than watch TV I'll hang up the laundry or wash the dishes. I still can't pay my bills on time - Thank god for Direct Debit!!!! Love that I'm not alone!

ijaen
05-26-06, 07:38 PM
me = guilty

but sometimes I go and do everything in one gulp...at work, at home...

FuturePast
08-21-06, 12:50 PM
Did you also while putting it off did you think to yourself I know I shoud be doing x thing, say mailing something, I would be basically staring at the package, knowing full well I had to mail it, couldnt think of 1 good reason not to mail it, but I would just NOT mail it. Almost like a physical block, my mind wouldnt allow me to mail it. I dont know if i am describing that right.

I think this is (or should be) termed "paralysis of the will".

meadd823
08-27-06, 10:34 PM
paralysis of the will

150 years ago when I belonged to the forum on about.com I think some one actually termed it this exact way!

FutruePast dig your choice of user names! :D