View Full Version : difference between bp 1 and bp 2

Anonymous_steve
04-27-06, 07:38 AM
what is the difference between bipolar 1 and bipolar 11. I dont get it my doc says i may be by polar i said i dont think so and he said yes maybe bipolar 2

Scattered
04-27-06, 11:22 AM
According to John Ratey in Shadow Syndromes (pp. 107-108):

"Simply put, bipolar II is essentially bipolar I without the mania. So long as a bipolar II patient remains bipolar II, he my suffer depressions severe enough to cause him to be suicidal, but, on the upswing, he will not progress to full-blown mania, but will stop short at hypomania. He does not become paranoid or delusional; he is not psychotic. People in the midst of hypomanic episodes are never hospitalized; by definition, hypomania does not destroy a life. That is good news.

"Unfortunately, individuals who belong to the less dangerous categories of bipolar disorder are at risk of becoming severely manic-depressive in time. Fully one-third of cyclothymics -- a milder form of the disorder still -- will eventually come to qualify for a diagnosis of bipolar I. Even people who suffer winter or summer depressions may, in the worst-cast scenario, become manic-depressive as their brains react to years of repeated depressions followed by repeated elations. (Many experts believe that seasonal affective disorder is in fact a form of mild manic-depression -- as distinct from the postpartum blues -- also reveals a bipolar tendency or vulnerability.)"

You might enjoy reading this book -- it goes into the positives associated with bipolar II as well as the risks. It also explains why treatment to prevent this milder form from progressing is important.

Scattered

Anonymous_steve
04-27-06, 12:47 PM
I guess i dont get it, i come in test for add an tell and tell them about my ancioty problems i have had forever, test for add, try rittaline it dont work, now am on limactril for bipolar 2. I dont ever think about suiside or get that depressed, the only thing i am hopping for is the lamatril helps with anxioty tha i have.

Nova
04-27-06, 02:41 PM
I have Bipolar-2.

Society loosely interprets the word 'manic' to mean 'crazy', still, in this day and age.

The word is completely taken out of the context of 'manic-depression' and used on it's own, and perceived to mean otherwise.

It can be defined as impulsive 'binges'. And those always differ from one person to the next.

I still have days, where I can go without sleep, but can still function the following days.

It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

The depression that I experience, however, is severe at times.

It can be debilitating, in that I don't want to do anything, or be with anyone, when I am experiencing it.

I think the most terrifying thing, any human being goes through, in having Bipo-Dis, (whether 1 or 2) is the lack of honest information provided to society about this disorder, and the negative hype perpetuated by the media.

Peace,

Nova

vir novum
05-08-06, 10:35 PM
Another major difference is that depression is dominant more in bipolar ii. Someone with bipolar ii would have a much smaller number of days with manic/hypomanic symptoms.

Anonymous_steve
05-12-06, 07:55 PM
I just do not think i fit as bipolor 2, but the lamactil has help with anxoity that i have had all my life

Anonymous_steve
05-23-06, 07:24 AM
Well I can see a big differece with the lamactil. the doc says it is most likly working for depresion and anxioty. My ridalin is working better, athough not long enough I may look into adderal. I know that Concerta only last about 8 hours, i work 10.5 a day, so i take my 2 doeses of 30mg at differnt times depending on work load and what jobs may be coming up in the day. I wish I could take it 3 times a day.

Lunacie
05-23-06, 09:28 AM
I guess i dont get it, i come in test for add an tell and tell them about my ancioty problems i have had forever, test for add, try rittaline it dont work, now am on limactril for bipolar 2. I dont ever think about suiside or get that depressed, the only thing i am hopping for is the lamatril helps with anxioty tha i have.
Are you saying that Ritalin is the only drug the doctor offered to treat the ADD? Did he at least try changing the dosage? Not responding to Ritalin doesn't mean that you don't have ADD, it just means that it's not the right drug for you. Some doctors are still pretty clueless about treating these 'disorders'. Maybe you should 'shop around' for a doctor with more experience in diagnosing and helping with ADD/ADHD and BiPolar.

I used to wonder if I had BiPolar, but all the literature I read (and movies or tv I saw) was about people with BiPolar I. Since I first read about BiPolar II a couple of years ago, I think maybe I was right to wonder. But I don't have health insurance to help pay for a diagnosis or medications. :(