View Full Version : Harnessing the Psychiatric Effects of Exercise

Scattered
04-30-06, 05:55 AM
<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">STARTS OCT. 16 - Harnessing the Psychiatric Effects of Exercise </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>Overview

Dr. John Ratey will teach about a new area of medicine - the psychiatric effects of exercise. At a time when many struggle with attention and mood disorders, Dr. Ratey will provide why biology and psychology suggests that exercise is as good for the brain as it is for the rest of the body - maybe even better!

This course provides important information for physicians and non-physicians as to why exercise is critical to mental health. It will cover:

* How exercise affects the brain neurochemically to improve self-esteem, mood and attention
* How and why exercise decreases stress and improves motivation
* New theories about how exercise helps the brain remain "plastic"
* Exercise as a treatment for addictions, anxiety and tantrums
* Exercise as a treatment for ADD
* How exercise has helped "reshape" the performance of an 18,000 student school district

Syllabus and Start Date

This course meets on Monday evenings from 8:00 - 9:15pm EST starting October 16th, 2006. For a complete syllabus and specific dates for each session, please go to this link (http://www.allaboutminds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=68).

Instructor

Dr. John Ratey is an expert in the biology of the brain and brain pharmacology. He is the author of "The User's Guide to the Brain", "Shadow Syndromes" and co-author of "Delivered from Distraction" and "Driven to Distraction" with Dr. Ned Hallowell. He has been a practicing psychiatrist for over 25 years and has been an instructor at the Harvard Medical School for over 20. He is currently writing a book about the psychiatric effects of exercise.

Sessions

Six one and one quarter hour sessions by phone. Each session includes 35-45 minutes of lecture and 30-40 minutes of Q&A.

Readings

Readings for this course will be posted electronically at the classroom web site.

CME and CE Credits

Credit applications are pending for 7.5 CE and 7.5 prescribed CME credits.

Who Should Take This Course

This course is designed for physicians, social workers, directors of physical education, psychologists, and very interested adults.

Tuition and Registration

Tuition for this six week course is $440. Please call for information on discounts for multiple people from the same organization (508-545-2250). Tuition includes instruction, books, readings and session recordings as well as the cost of all calls and anytime course support.

To see other professional courses being offered, please go to the right menu. To register for this course right now, please go to this link. (http://www.allaboutminds.com/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=48&category_id=6&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1)

For More Information and Assistance

Please feel free to call our offices at 508-545-2250. We are happy to answer any questions

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dpat
05-26-06, 05:58 PM
I've been looking information about the exercise/add connection. Particularly in regard to types and intensity of exercise that will have most significant positive effect.

I'm very interested in this and have subscribed to the thread for more info/reminders between now and October. Do you know of or can you provide some information here and now in regard to the connection?

Thank you

Scattered
05-26-06, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the forums. Dpat!:) Ratey discusses a bit of it in Delivered from Distraction and Shadow Syndromes (and I haven't finished it yet, but I think he also touches on it in A Users Guide to the Brain) but not in great detail. He has a book coming out next year that is on this very subject.

Short exerpts from his books -- vigorous exercise is like taking a dose of Prozac and Ritalin holistically -- it increases both serotonin and dopamine levels.

Blood flow to the brain is increased as well as production of necessary neurotransmitters -- all that helps cognitive functioning. It also reduced anxiety and depression which can worsen ADHD symptoms.

On a personal level I'm sure that the multiple times a day exercise I got in college helped me focus enough to do well even without medication (it didn't stop me from procrastinating, but helped me pull of the last minute whirlwinds).

Scattered