View Full Version : Purpose of therapy?

King_of_Dreams
05-01-06, 08:48 AM
I am new here; I was informally diagnosed with ADD (inattentive type) as a teen, but haven't really done anything in the way of treatment or educating myself throughout my adult life. Now I wish to educate myself better in the short term, and in the long term after I again have health insurance I'll likely seek-out a formal diagnosis and treatment.

Anyway, for my reading I understand that most commonly treatment consists of both meds and therapy. I understand the role of stimulant meds, and was very briefly on ritalin as a teen, but how does therapy help, exactly?

Oh, and while I'm at it, can anyone give me links to any other good ADD-related resources on the Web? Thanks in advance.

chameleon
05-01-06, 09:52 AM
Therapy can help in many ways. I'm sure others will cover areas like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help you learn to "think around" your ADD, but therapy also helps to deal with sadness or anger over the mistreatment you may have recieved due to your ADD traits. Therapy also deals with any co-morbids you have, and helps you learn to like yourself and not see yourself as stupid or incapable. It helps you see your strong points too. :)
Oh, and it can be a HUGE help with your relationships.

Google CHADD and see if there's a chapter in your area. Even if not, their site is jam-packed with information.

Bob1951
05-02-06, 09:35 AM
King,

I ditto chameleon. I found seeing a good psychologist very helpful. The stuff learned is incrediably simple - almost obvious - yet us ADHDers can't see it without help.

One important thing I learned, touched on by chameleon, is to like myself. For some reason I minimize my successes and seem only aware of "what I could have been if no ADHD." I said to my wife about a recent assignment I got, "I cannot fail at this. I cannot take another failure in my life." She then enumerated a list of amazing things I have been able to accomplish. She loves me more than I love me. Why we so focus on the negative only makes sense to me in the context that we judge ourselves by some sort of unrealistic standard whereas in reality we may have ended up a hell of lot worse off if we were not ADHD.

Stuff like that is how "therapy" helps.

Bob