View Full Version : Often Forget to Take My Medicine- Help!!

Jett
05-02-06, 10:09 AM
Funny thing is that I have ADHD ( just been confirmed by my counselor the other day). The problem is that I need my medicine to function and think clearly but I keep forgetting to take it. I honestly don't know why. I feel so much better with the meds in my system.

I need a plan to help me remember to take my pills. I am on 20 mg lexapro for depression/anxiety and take 20 mgs of adderall in the morning and 10 mgs of adderall in the afternoon.

How do you all remember your medicines. I mean, am I going to have to tape my pills to my bed every night and write a big " Take pills" sign by my bed?

~boots~
05-02-06, 10:12 AM
why don't you put them on the bathroom sink before you go to bed. Then you will see them when you get up and get washed:D or leave them permenantly on the bathroom bench with your toothbrush?:p easy:p

Adamant1988
05-02-06, 10:30 AM
I found that setting the alarm on my palm pilot helps a lot. and revolving your day around your meds is another way to remember them. For me I take my medicine at 6 and 6 so I schedule meals around then because I'm supposed to take my medicine with food, and that helps me remember.

a palm pilot is your best friend
always remember that!
(you can get a Z22 for $100 with all the basic necessities included. WARNING: It makes a wonderful distraction though)

auntchris
05-02-06, 04:35 PM
Adamant,

I have alway had to take meds ... I am epileptic too.
I was adviced to use a egg carton or icecube tray.
I put my morning meds in one row and
the eveing meds in the back row.

I can tell which row is the moring by the medication that are in each cubical.
Hope this helps.

And yes, I have forgotten to take my meds.
I just take them as soon as I can
and if too close to the next dosage wait until the next dosage.
Never double up on meds .... it is dangerous.

bekahboo714
05-05-06, 01:52 AM
I, too, take medicine (right now waiting for ADD dx so I take only Effexor and Lemectol) and I'm constantly missing days. I either forget or simply procrastinate ("I'll take it later--I don't want to right now) and then forget. People have said tape my meds to my toothbrush, get one of those Monday-Sunday pill holders but because I procrastinate it doesn't work. What I've found helpful is having a checklist taped by my door and I make myself check off each day whether I've taken my meds.

PINKY
05-05-06, 02:24 AM
I have the alarm function on my cell phone go off 2 times a day to remind me. I let it do it's irritating beep till I take them. I keep a 2 day supply in my car and in my purse as well in case I 'forget' I turned the annoying beeper off. My laptop has a check off list as well and between my phone my laptop and my wonderful 'helpful' friends and family..."did you take your meds?" I do really well.

Adamant1988
05-05-06, 06:00 AM
I, too, take medicine (right now waiting for ADD dx so I take only Effexor and Lemectol) and I'm constantly missing days. I either forget or simply procrastinate ("I'll take it later--I don't want to right now) and then forget. People have said tape my meds to my toothbrush, get one of those Monday-Sunday pill holders but because I procrastinate it doesn't work. What I've found helpful is having a checklist taped by my door and I make myself check off each day whether I've taken my meds.This is why you plan you're whole day around med time, eventually it becomes just something you have to do. But then again I can't forget to take my meds, I'm a danger to myself and others when I don't have them...

ms_sunshine
05-05-06, 06:05 AM
I struggled with this when I was initially diagnosed. Prior to dx of adhd, I took medication for depression (which I no longer take :) but that's another thread). I had taken the depression med every day, but often was so fogged, I wasn't sure, "did I take that today?"

I was worried about having that fog with the stimulant medication, too. If I had taken it, and took more, would I be putting myself at risk, etc. I asked my (now ex) husband for help in this, but he didn't want anything to do with it.

I put the alarm clock across the room from my bed. It was the most annoying alarm on the planet (on purpose), so that I HAD to get up, cross the room to make it stop. Every evening, before I went to bed, I placed a glass of water and the childproofed bottle of stimulant medication next to it on the end table. After turning the alarm clock off, and walking back to my bed, I was conscious enough to remember the medication was next to me.

Oh, I also set the alarm clock for one hour prior to when I needed to get up. It was like a personal bargain. "Okay...you get up (me) and set the clock for one more hour, but you only get this hour if you take the stimulant medication." In one hour, I would be wide awake when the alarm went off the second time, and would literally bounce out of bed, smiling. The first thing I would do would be to move the stimulant bottle to the medicine cabinet, to signal to myself I had taken it.

Adamant1988
05-05-06, 06:23 AM
getting a Sunday through Monday medicine planner really helps with the post med "did I take that today?" feeling. I leave the lids up for dose's I've already taken and once I get to Saturday I refill the thing when I finish saturday's 6 PM dose.

~boots~
05-05-06, 07:00 AM
I take it usually just before I stagger into the shower, so after showering, getting dressed and having the first cup of coffee and the meds have taken effect and I am ready to face the kids nice and calmly..

nicovolli
08-26-12, 09:29 PM
Hi,

My brother has ADD and he had the same problem. It seems very simple but we're only human and forget things sometimes.
I work for a software company so what I did is ask my boss to create an app for smartphones to help remind tablets which is not only my brothers problem.
I don't want this to be advertising but I saw someone setting reminders on palms and all, so maybe it will be useful to you too. The app is on iTtunes under the name "My Tablet Time". It also connects to a database of information on meds from the NHS to make search easier and give you extra info on the meds.
Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Nico

xmtm3x
08-27-12, 02:27 PM
I keep one at home in visible place (near my glasses) , and one in my bag so it is always with me

sarahsweets
08-27-12, 02:36 PM
pillcases

Flory
08-27-12, 03:52 PM
i wish they did im stims...my mums patients get months worth of various drugs IM (its to do with compliance issues etc)

T-Rex65
08-27-12, 04:31 PM
I put my meds in one of those little plastic 7-day pill boxes. Then I put the box and a glass of water on my nightstand before I go to sleep. Taking my meds becomes part of my "waking up" routine, because I actually need the stims to actually get out of bed.

I'm terrible about remembering afternoon doses, though. Maybe you could set an alarm on your cell phone for that? If you use popular songs for ringtones, maybe pick one that will make you think of drugs or medication when you hear it.

rockydaydreamer
08-27-12, 05:56 PM
Set an alarm and keep your pills next to them. That's what I would do. Ironically, I'd forget to take my pills even if they were in front of my face all the time.
I need an alarm to sort of bring it to my attention. Also, you could get an alarm app for your mobile phone (if you use phones that have apps).

Zevispaz
08-27-12, 08:10 PM
I pack mine for work the next day before the meds wear off, that way when I make it out the door in a daze the next morning it's not a big deal if I forgot about them or not. They're also out in plain site.

Targaryen
08-27-12, 09:58 PM
I have mind on my nightstand but I also got this little metal cylinder pill case that is waterproof from Walgreens to put a few extra pills in. It has a key ring on it and it is attached to an inside pocket in my backpack. I also keep a few extra pills in my glovebox (in the original pill bottles with prescription label still on them just in case) it is always better to be over prepared, I have learned the hard way numerous times :(

As far as reminders I am doing pretty good now but use google calendars with reacurring events that pop up on my phone,laptop, and iPad.

Conman
08-27-12, 10:38 PM
sticky-notes

Meagan
06-01-13, 05:34 PM
I guess Eric Clapton singing Cocaine would be in poor taste.