View Full Version : Health insurance to cover my meds?

Adamant1988
05-05-06, 03:50 PM
I made another thread in the West Virginia location, but no one goes there lol.
Does anyone here know of any national or state programs that would cover the meds for a cash strapped 18 year old? The reason I ask is that well, my prescriptions are over $150 a month I'm sure, I'm on medicaid so we don't have to pay anything on them because I NEED them.

When I turn 18, that coverage goes away, meaning I either pay $150 a month in prescriptions and even more for doctor visits, or I become a danger to myself and others. (I have command hallucinations telling me to harm people).

Surely given my 'unique' situation, I could get some help with this right?
If anyone knows anything that could help PLEASE tell me.

Hyperion
05-05-06, 06:11 PM
Some drug companies sponsor programs where they offer their drugs at drastically reduced prices to people who cannot afford them. Shire, for instance, has a program that will provide Adderall for $5 a month to those who meet their economic criteria.

Some pharmacies offer prescription drug discount plans for those without insurance. This is not technically insurance, it is simply a discount off the price as long as you buy it from them. The American Automobile Association also has a prescription drug discount plan for their mebmers, which like the pharmacy plan isn't insurance, but just a discount.

Finally, you might want to ask your doctor if your state or locality offers any disability assistance for buying psychiatric meds. Since most localities understand that it is in their best interest to keep crazy guys like you well-medicated, they can sometimes find ways to ensure that you get the medication that you need.

danceswthnobody
05-06-06, 12:38 AM
I don't know your financial situation, but I recently went to work for a company that has horrible health insurance. I started shopping around for a better policy on my own and found a couple of decent alternatives for under $120 per month (at least for me in Alabama).

One in particular covered six doctor visits per year at a $25 copay and the prescription copay for generics was $30 each I think (after a $100 deductible). It was around $110 per month for me, but you're over ten years younger so it might be cheaper for you. I don't want to post company names, etc. here because that seems inappropriate (don't want to advertise for them) but if you are interested, please send a private message and I'll forward you the names of the companies I looked at.

During the interview process, I asked about the insurance at my new company and expressed my concerns about it. A few weeks after I started they took a poll of the employees to see how many would be interested in upgrading to a PPO plan (from a POS, and no I don't mean 'piece of s***'!)
For another $80 per month I got awesome coverage that includes all my meds at $15 copays.

Good luck to you, I hope you figure something out. Definitely try the special programs that some drug companies have, too.

One more idea- one of my aunts suffers from numerous issues with depression, anxiety, etc. and the local health department treats her and provides medication for much less than conventional doctors. I'm not sure how it works in West Virginia, but I'd suggest looking into that too.

stanzen
05-06-06, 02:38 AM
check out this sticky about getting meds cheaply:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4173

stevek182
05-06-06, 05:17 AM
You could always join the military, yeah i dont recomend that one

Adamant1988
05-06-06, 08:29 AM
You could always join the military, yeah i dont recomend that oneIt's been brought to my attention that given the nature of my disease I wouldn't even be able to be drafted.

Hyperion
05-06-06, 12:47 PM
Wait, you mean it's a bad idea to give guns and heavy explosives to someone who hears voices in their head? :)

Of course, one could also make the point that some psychotic features are probably necessary for military service.

livinginchaos
05-06-06, 01:16 PM
check out this sticky, made by Draga:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4173

Hopefully it will help you, Adam!

Adamant1988
05-06-06, 03:15 PM
This is all really helpful for me :) I am glad that I've got my meds covered in the future, I just need to figure out what to do with the doc visits now :)