View Full Version : Speedo on Tenex

speedo
05-08-06, 07:07 PM
I've been on Tenex for about 4 days now. I noticed an effect right away.
It works exactly as described. My hyperactivity is greatly reduced but it doesnt do much for attention.

I have not noticed any side effects. None whatsoever. I am on 0.5 mg twice a day. It seems to wear off before it is time for the next dose, so I think I am going to start taking the evening dose a bit earlier .

ME :D

speedo
05-16-06, 06:35 PM
I've been on Tenex for a while now. It seems to work as advertised. My hyperactivity has been reduced a lot. The only side effect that I have noticed is a tendency to doze off in the late afternoon.

speedo
05-23-06, 07:46 PM
After two weeks on Tenex, my doctor has ordered that I work my way up to double the does that I started at (0.5 mg twice a day).

I am also tapering off of wellbutrin because of the seizure risk.

The tenex really helps a lot with hyperactivity, which is mostly what the wellbutrin used to do.
So far no side effects. Doubling my evening does has made it a lot easier to sleep. I won't argue with that...

speedo
07-18-07, 07:28 PM
It might be known under a different trade name in Austrailia. The name of the generic form is gunafacine. You really need to use this med under the advice of a doctor because it can cause serious problems with low blood pressure or dangerously high blood pressure. If taken correctly it is a safe drug.

Me :D

Dear Speedo

I live in Australia and cant get it anywhere.

Mary

speedo
10-03-07, 05:53 PM
I figured that I'd follow up on this thread... I've now been on tenex for one year and five months and it continues to work perfectly. I titrated up to 0.5 mg three times a day and have been at that dose since the first month.

I am diagnosed with ADHD combined type with anxiety NOS. Tenex really doea a good job on hyperactivity and impulsivity, but it does nothing for attention. I take a small dose of wellbutrin for attention and I have risperdal for anxiety and ocd. The combo works great.

NotSureAnyMore
03-14-08, 08:54 PM
I have been on a regime that consists of consuming 20-30 grams of protein, 35 minute aerobic walk (on a treadmill) and 2-1mg tablets of Guanfacine (bedtime, and morning).

I find myself less intense, able to present in front of execs comfortably (much less anxiety), and far less negative thoughts (and the impulsive responses I would blurt out).

My family and I really notice the difference (they actually like to be around me).

During the five months I've been on this regimen (last 3 months walking), I have experienced 2 situations where I reverted back to my old self. It scared the heck out of me! I'm still trying to figure out what caused the condition.

Speedo, I'm interested in the size of your Welbutrin dose and how you notice it help's with your attention.

Could you share?

MJwatson
03-16-08, 02:13 AM
hey Speedo! I am glad you posted this! I was prescribed .5 3x a day and I have never been so sleepy in my life! does that go away? Did you take your dose at night? I was just curious..I could never find aanyone who took it before!

Thanks! :D

Bob Sled
04-03-08, 08:10 PM
I'm starting Tenex tonight at 0.5 mg. However, the doctor that I'm using didn't know anything about it and I convinced him that this was the next appropriate shot in the dark.

Anyone who is using Tenex in collaboration with the doctor who has experience using it for ADHD, I would appreciate any insight on the appropriate dose and how the doses should be staggered daily. Moreover, I'm interested in any experiences, positive or negative, that you may have had with this prescription.

In our discussions we agreed to begin with 0.5 mg each evening, but I have seen a number of different examples of multiple doses, two or three, per day. Recognizing that increase total dosage within a 24-hour period increases the probability of experiencing side effects. Any input on others' experience with this process would be helpful.

In addition to Tenex, I am also taking Provigil, Dexedrine, and Effexor.

Good luck

NotSureAnyMore
04-04-08, 10:01 PM
Hey Bob,

I'm on Tenex and am taking 1 mg before bedtime and 1 mg in the morning. Nothing else worked for my ADD Symptoms.

From what I've read, the general rule is to take .5mg 3x a day, but you have to work up to it. The primary side effects I've felt was dry mouth. Others have experienced sleepiness.

Tenex is primarily used to treat high blood pressure. Since I have high blood pressure my dose is larger. It is nice to have one drug take care of two conditions :-)

I have also heard/read that the makers of Tenex may be coming out with an extended release version specifically for ADHD.

I noticed you are taking several drugs. Are they addressing other conditions?

Bob Sled
04-05-08, 01:13 PM
Not sure any more,

I'm actually on a lot more drugs than I listed.

I have MS and I'm currently in a clinical trial for Fingolimod. So at least I'm not on any other disease modifying drugs all of which required self injections.

Since MS is a disease of the central nervous system it effects just about everything. So, unfortunately I have a lot of experience with off label prescriptions for the wide array of symptoms that can manifest.

Did you start at 0.5 mg once in the evening? Did you then titrate up to 1 mg once a day or 0.5 mg twice a day?

The other medication you referenced is Intuniv, http://www.drugs.com/nda/intuniv_070621.html, has received FDA approval for children and adolescents, but likely won't be available for another six or eight months because of remaining administrative details.

There are phase 2 trials underway with adults.

Take care,

Bob Sled...

NotSureAnyMore
04-05-08, 06:02 PM
I started on .5mg twice a day. I was on another blood pressure medicine.

My GP agreed to eliminate my original bp medication, but the Tenex dosage had to be increased it to keep the pressure down to an acceptable level.

I need to stop in and see him again to do another BP check to see if 2 mg tenex per day is enough.

Hope this info helps you.

janiceobrien17
09-25-09, 08:11 PM
My son has been on tenex for 4 days after trying almost every adhd medicine there is. He tolerated strattera but tended to hyperfocus and get a bit negative. he did ok on dexedrine but lost 15% of his body weight in 12 weeks. all others were a COMPLETE failure.

he is doing great on this. 3 perfect days at school this week and he is himself...only calmer. has been drowsy occasionally and zones out occasionally but seems like that is decreasing already.

he is primarily hyper/impulsive type adhd, some attention issues. He is 7 and also has sensory processing disorder.

So far so good.......best thing for us yet!

speedo
09-25-09, 11:17 PM
I've been on tenex for ages now and it still works well for me. I'm presently at 2 mg per day, 1 mg in th morning and 1 mg in the evening.

crazymutha
10-04-09, 06:20 PM
I've been on tenex for ages now and it still works well for me. I'm presently at 2 mg per day, 1 mg in th morning and 1 mg in the evening.

Did/Does it help you sleep?

I gotta get off this ambien!

speedo
10-04-09, 08:19 PM
yes it helps me to relax a bit so I can get to sleep easier

Frood42
05-07-10, 04:25 PM
I am so grateful for this thread! My DS (10yrs old) has been on Intuniv for about 2.5weeks now. As he has anxiety, panic, and mild ADHD, the doctor didn't want to put him on stims. We tried Strattera, but that made him extremely tired, and have yelling outburts. So far this has worked wonders. Negativity, frustrations, and impulsivity are way down. Even he notices a difference! :D We will be transitioning from the long acting form, Intuniv, to the regular form, Tenex, due to insurance issues so I hope it keeps working. I've been concerned that in either form it will wear off and lose efficacy. I'm happy that it has continued to work well for you Speedo, and hope it does the same for my son. I appreciate you sharing your journey with us!