View Full Version : Im confused

John.ump
05-16-06, 03:59 PM
Hi, Im not sure if I have an early stage of Tourettes. My legs jerk randomly and my arms also. My stomach also tenses randomly. Sometimes when I'm stressed I think about my head ticcing and feel the urge to do it.

Im really confused by all this?? Help me please!!

Thanks

John

pudding
05-17-06, 08:48 AM
I'm not a doctor but my daughter has it. It usually starts very early, like signs at 5, 6 years old. By the age of 7 you should be having facial tics. Like eye blinking, sniffing things like that. Doesn't sound like that's what you are describing, but check with your mom, or doctor.

Naomi2
05-21-06, 07:30 AM
You don't have to start with facial tics.

I started with complex motor tics and compulsions and it was only at around age 10-11 that I started the simple tics. I understand that this is rare though.

barbyma
05-23-06, 01:28 AM
Tics always begin in childhood.

What you are describing, though, is much more common than most people think. It's a form of RLS (restless leg syndrome).

RLS is a dopamine deficiency. I honestly think it's just another symptom of ADHD and it will someday be recognized as such.

Many ADHDers have leg twitches, but you're the first person I've met that gets the tummy clenches -- I GET THEM!:eek: -- Those are REALLY annoying.

I also have done a little "head twitch" since childhood, but it's controllable.

Tics are more common among ADHDers than the general public, but urges aren't really tics. Tics are performed nearly entirely involuntarily and can really only be controlled through distraction.

No worries. What you're talking about is annoying, but it's probably something that waxes & wanes without severe effects.

Crazy~Feet
05-23-06, 01:35 AM
My father had something they called "St. Vitus Dance" when he was a child. I think they now call it Parkinson's Chorea (nothing to do with Parkinson's disease). He has tics as a leftover from that illness. Just throwing that out there, hope ya find the advice and help ya need OP!