View Full Version : Household project of the week

susane
05-26-06, 02:12 AM
I posted an idea under the "Why so messy" thread and it sparked an idea for a thread. How about a post that is dedicated to one household project a week?

One of my main house keeping issues is that certain areas of my house get cluttered and stay that way for a long time. The longer it stays that way the more I beat myself up over it. I might not look at it everyday, but it is still in my head that it is a mess. :(

A few years back I decided to organize my home and when I looked around the meer thought of it was overwhelming. So, I decided to pick one project a week. I didn't put strict time constraints on myself, I just made a promise that I would get it done by the end of the week.

The first week I picked my livingroom closet...it was so full of clutter that things fell out when you opened the door.:( I not only finished it by the end of the week, but I also scrubbed it down, painted and put up shelves. In the following weeks I went on to my bedroom closet, linen closet, laundryroom etc...successfully cleaning and organizing them all.

The one thing I realized while I was doing this was that the other lived in areas of the house were a piece of cake to keep clean. It was the cluttered areas that kept me down and unmotivated. Once I fixed that...the rest just fell into place. :)

The secret was picking only one project and giving myself a week to get it done. And, doing it within my own time frame that week. Some projects I did a little everyday and others I did all at once...it didn't matter how I managed my time, it only mattered that I got it done!

This really worked for me, so I am going to give it another shot. I thought that others here might like to join in...no pressure of course. And, if it isn't working...that is fine, maybe other ideas will come along. If you want it to work you can come here and ask for encouragement.:)

My project this week is....MY LAUNDRYROOM! Ooy :faint:...it's a big chore to start with....but I will make a promise to myself to get it done.

ClearConfusion
05-27-06, 08:22 AM
I think that's an interesting idea, Susane! :)

I felt really enthusiastic when I read your posts about it in the "Why am I so messy thread?" thinking "Yay! I'm gonna try that. Sounds like fun!", but then I started to think that I would probably not keep it up after the first bouth of enthusiasm and at the end of the week I'd be like "Project of the week?:confused: What?! Where?!:faint: "

So, how do you do to keep up with a project for a whole week? How do you stick with the one you've decided to do? I got a feeling that I would constantly change my mind on what I would do.

If I were to do it I would probably need to do a very small project each week I must say that I'm quite impressed with all that you managed to do with your closet; paint it and everything, although I suppose it has to do with what you're interested in as well. :)

susane
05-27-06, 12:58 PM
I think that's an interesting idea, Susane! :)

I felt really enthusiastic when I read your posts about it in the "Why am I so messy thread?" thinking "Yay! I'm gonna try that. Sounds like fun!", but then I started to think that I would probably not keep it up after the first bouth of enthusiasm and at the end of the week I'd be like "Project of the week?:confused: What?! Where?!:faint: "

So, how do you do to keep up with a project for a whole week? How do you stick with the one you've decided to do? I got a feeling that I would constantly change my mind on what I would do.

If I were to do it I would probably need to do a very small project each week I must say that I'm quite impressed with all that you managed to do with your closet; paint it and everything, although I suppose it has to do with what you're interested in as well. :)Hi clearconfusion, the key is picking one small project a week like a closet or maybe even half of the kitchen cabinets and sticking to it. It was hard sticking to the promise the first week and I put it off until the night before my deadline and worked into the night. On the last day I was so happy I cleaned it out I went out and bought paint and shelving to make it a functional storage area. After accomplishing the first project...it became easy to do the rest. :)

Also, I learned that when I started to organize the cluttered areas I had a place to put the stuff that was always laying around the rest of the house. And, I got rid of a lot of junk too in the process. So, in a sense, when you start with these small places it is helping to get the rest of the house straight. :cool:

If you only stick with this plan for a few weeks then at least it has helped to organize a few problem areas....right? That is two less things you have to worry about.

boardtabitz
05-28-06, 10:26 PM
there used to be a website that told you how to clean your house one room for each day. each day you looked at it, it would say, okay we are going to do this room today. that was four computers ago, I was wishing for it the other day. Otherwise there are rooms in my house that it just doesnt occur to me to ever go in.

susane
05-30-06, 12:06 PM
there used to be a website that told you how to clean your house one room for each day. each day you looked at it, it would say, okay we are going to do this room today. that was four computers ago, I was wishing for it the other day. Otherwise there are rooms in my house that it just doesnt occur to me to ever go in.
Hi boardtabitz, you could always put up a thread here in this forum and pick a room each day. It might not be someone else picking it for you, but it still may be effective....just a thought.

My problem is there are a few areas in my house that just get totally cluttered, so I need to get them cleaned and organized and then I am going to set up a program that helps me keep them that way.

susane
06-03-06, 08:09 AM
Well....I did it! Laundryroom is done. I worked into the night again like I did last time I started this, but it is done. Onto the next....:)

william tell
06-03-06, 10:50 AM
to open the pool and get it blue or clear from green

boardtabitz
06-03-06, 11:10 AM
I have been working on that for a week now. I noticed that I can almost see the bottom of the pool today. There is a mess of leaves in the bottom. Someone is going to have to get in that cold*** water and scoop them out. It better not be me.

boardtabitz
06-03-06, 01:42 PM
Hi boardtabitz, you could always put up a thread here in this forum and pick a room each day. It might not be someone else picking it for you, but it still may be effective....just a thought.

My problem is there are a few areas in my house that just get totally cluttered, so I need to get them cleaned and organized and then I am going to set up a program that helps me keep them that way.I found this on a blog. There are a group of women doing something called Tackle it Tuesday (http://www.5minutesformom.com/160/tackle-it-tuesday-update/) I think I might try it in addition to the stuff I have to get done on this house. Maybe I can use that to do a specific project for that one day. Instead of the bouncing around all over the place like the rest of the time.

Proscrire
06-03-06, 05:54 PM
My doc (herself ADD) and I come up with an unusual trick. She said set a timer for 10 or 15 mins and clean one place for the entire time. But I suck at making desicions and my husband makes sure that each room needs it all pretty equally, so I made little slips of paper in an old flower pot that sits next to the timer labeled "living room" kitchen" "bathroom" "laundry" etc. Grab a slip, hit the button, and go. All I gotta work on is getting up to start.

william tell
06-03-06, 09:27 PM
well I took of the cover and took down the surround fence
I think I will leave in down this summer it looks better and the boys aren't here most of the time. I poured in the chemicals and started the pump.
put away the cover, nice and folded, and rolled up the fence sections and stowed them in the pool shed -whew

got out the ladder and started cleaning the downspouts and gutters of leaves and debries
Fixed the downspout that was broken for a year -whew

mowed the back lawn - 1/3 of an acre and trimmed with the new echo trimmer -great machine

meadd823
06-06-06, 01:57 AM
Sound like a good idea you have going there...

So, how do you do to keep up with a project for a whole week?

Do you have a calendar you already use? I have one where I write appointments my work schedule birthdays ect......perhaps placing your chore of the week on that especially if this is already in use then you do not have to come up with another system to keep up with......just an idea!

boardtabitz
06-06-06, 11:44 PM
This is tuesday, isn't it? It'll never work for me because now that the kids are out of school I have no way to mark my days.
Doesn't matter though, a realtor came this afternoon so I had to clean the whole stinking house anyway. I really hate this house.

It's real fun having kids that will only carry one thing in their hands at a time too. Today just su**ed.

susane
06-07-06, 09:05 AM
well I took of the cover and took down the surround fence
I think I will leave in down this summer it looks better and the boys aren't here most of the time. I poured in the chemicals and started the pump.
put away the cover, nice and folded, and rolled up the fence sections and stowed them in the pool shed -whew

got out the ladder and started cleaning the downspouts and gutters of leaves and debries
Fixed the downspout that was broken for a year -whew

mowed the back lawn - 1/3 of an acre and trimmed with the new echo trimmer -great machine
We can accomplish great things once we get started.:) My current project is my dining room...the catch all for everything because we don't use it much.