View Full Version : To those ADDers who are sales representatives: Important Questions

UCS1932
05-28-06, 07:59 PM
I used to work part time in retail sales while I was in college. I have just recently graduated from college and I have always liked selling and was considering being a sales representative because it is an ADD friendly job.

I realize that even for non-ADDers, you should always believe in the product you are selling, but wouldnt being a sales representative be bad for someone with ADD because of the enormous pressure you are under to meet quotas and deadlines? Or, is it not as bad as it seems since you're provided leads?

Also, many ADDers have difficulty with monotonous careers (where sales is not), where you do the same thing over and over, but wouldnt having each day different be counterproductive to someone with ADD because ADDers have difficulty with adapting to change?? I know from personal experience, that when things change, I often have difficulty adapting.

CdnJulie
06-06-06, 09:54 AM
I do Pampered Chef and there is a minimum required and that is basically one show per two months-easily achievable.

The basics on doing the shows are the same but exciting with the different people you meet. Changes aren't huge with the company.

Take a look. There are several sales companies where you are the boss and find the one that you feel you fit in with the product. I love cooking/baking and socializing so it was perfect for me. Others love make-up, environment issues etc.

Good luck.

cameron
06-06-06, 12:59 PM
I used to be in Sales and hated it. I just don't have that type of personality, where you have to be fairly aggressive(asking for orders, constantly talking with people, etc). For the ADHD types, sales is a good job. I think it all depends on your personality. If your a people person, you will probably do well in sales. Like you said, believing in your product is very important. YOu have to have motivation.

susane
06-07-06, 10:20 AM
Cameron, I think it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. My boss for instance, is not really a people person, but he loves money, so nothing stands in his way if it is on the table. I have seen this man overcome every obstacle out there (including extreme shyness) because he saw money. I guess that is why he has so much of it in the bank. :D He not only gets the sale, but squeezes every possible dollar he can out of the opportunity.

UCS1932, I also think it depends upon the type of sales job, for instance I hated inside sales because I was locked in a cubical the entire day. Sure, I was talking to different people, but didn't like that I had to be in the cubical the entire time without any other type of interaction with people.

I really like outside sales and selling services because I am on the road, visiting different types of businesses and learning how my company's service can fit their needs. The key, everyones needs are different, so each client is like learning something new. Selling services also means project management because you have to set up and manage the services you are selling. There is creativity involved too. Right now I am selling a mixture of products and services...computer network technology and software development.

There are cons though. Yes, quotas and deadlines can be a problem if you have a hard time with follow through. Meaning, sales depends largely on following through with your clients and closing the deal. I sometimes run into problems with follow through and that can result in losing a sale. Quotas, deadlines and rejection can also produce anxiety and if you are already anxiety prone it can render you ineffective at times. It can make it hard to get on the phone to drum up business.

So, if you are thinking about sales and are anxiety prone, make sure you manage your anxiety effectively so it doesn't interfere with the job you trying to do. Sales, by its nature creates anxiety, but if it gets exaperated it can be destructive...especially for ADDers.

On the positive side, sales can pay off handsomely if you are motivated and good on follow through. If you can stay motivated and give yourself goals to reach there is no limit to the amount of money you can make. Good luck, I hope this helps.:)

cameron
06-13-06, 02:40 AM
money, money, money...this is what sales is about! bottom line. like Karl Mark said, "money is the root of all evil". Sales is a capitalistic job, plane and simple. You said, "My boss for instance, is not really a people person, but he loves money, so nothing stands in his way if it is on the table". This is exactly my point. Almost all people in sales do it for the money. To get a nicer car, buy an expensive ring, house, list goes on and on. This why I despise sales and certain people in sales. All they care about is the good ole dollar bill. ****es me off. Go preach to someone else about why sales is a respectable occupation(because it generaly is not). As you can tell, I'm against capitalism(I wish this crappy government of ours would wake there a##es up!). People like myself with LD/ADD, should be! we are not treated fairly and the way our economic system is set up, it is geared to make a lot of people fail--including most(ESPECIALLY the poor and people of color) with mental disorders-- loosing jobs, being discriminated against...all becasue of money in most situations(people backstabing at work to get ahead, dishonest, its sick!)

FightingBoredom
06-13-06, 07:09 AM
I was an inside salesperson for reoughly 10 years selling computer products and was successful enough at it to make more than $100k per year and be a Sales Manager for 5 of the 10 years.

If you find the right niche you can do really well. For instance, I tried outside sales--you know, face to face meetings with people. That didn't work well at all! I even tried being a sales engineer since I have a fairly technical background. But standing up in front of a bunch of upper management people to talk about something I was barely comfortable with didn't work too well with my anxiety.

If you find an area of sales that you are good at you can succeed. You don't have to believe in a product to sell it. You will just sell MUCH more of a product that you do believe in because the enthusiasm you show will be that much greater.

susane
06-13-06, 03:29 PM
money, money, money...this is what sales is about! bottom line. like Karl Mark said, "money is the root of all evil". Sales is a capitalistic job, plane and simple. You said, "My boss for instance, is not really a people person, but he loves money, so nothing stands in his way if it is on the table". This is exactly my point. Almost all people in sales do it for the money. To get a nicer car, buy an expensive ring, house, list goes on and on. This why I despise sales and certain people in sales. All they care about is the good ole dollar bill. ****es me off. Go preach to someone else about why sales is a respectable occupation(because it generaly is not). As you can tell, I'm against capitalism(I wish this crappy government of ours would wake there a##es up!). People like myself with LD/ADD, should be! we are not treated fairly and the way our economic system is set up, it is geared to make a lot of people fail--including most(ESPECIALLY the poor and people of color) with mental disorders-- loosing jobs, being discriminated against...all becasue of money in most situations(people backstabing at work to get ahead, dishonest, its sick!)
Gosh, sorry you are having such a rough time of it. Although, I do have to disagree because some of us have no choice but to do sales. Like me for instance, I am a single parent with 2 children, one in college and one who just finished. Their father provides no support, so it is all up to me. If I weren't in sales I would never be able to keep the roof over our heads and put them through school. Since I don't have a college degree, it provides me with the extra income I need to support my children. And, I really like helping my clients. So, for me anyway, I like the extra money it provides, but the money I make is due to clients appreciating the job I do for them.

As far as my boss goes, yes, he likes money, but he is also a great boss! He bends over backwards to keep his employees and clients happy. He is very aware that I have ADD and makes sure that I have what I need to do my job. Sure our country is based on capitalism, but that is another topic altogether. I wasn't trying to sell anyone on the sales profession, I was just providing the original poster with some insight because they asked and I happen to have some experience (over 10 years).

My comment to you in my original post was more of joke because my boss really isn't a people person and you stated that you had to be a people person to be in sales. It was all in fun...that's all. :)

cameron
06-14-06, 01:30 AM
sorry, Suzanne...one of my add symptoms, is getting upset and temper issues(impulsitivity)...our society is so money driven, I just get a litte worked up sometimes. I think Capitalism sets up a lot of people for failure. It only rewards a small minority. It's really not good for individuals with mental disabilities, like most of us on this web site. A lot of people do not think about stuff like this, but I do. I get tired of loosing all these jobs, and constantly worrying about money, etc(and I blame a lOT of it on our current economic system). Frustrating. I'm currently without a job, and as you and others might know, its difficult.

susane
06-14-06, 02:10 PM
sorry, Suzanne...one of my add symptoms, is getting upset and temper issues(impulsitivity)...our society is so money driven, I just get a litte worked up sometimes. I think Capitalism sets up a lot of people for failure. It only rewards a small minority. It's really not good for individuals with mental disabilities, like most of us on this web site. A lot of people do not think about stuff like this, but I do. I get tired of loosing all these jobs, and constantly worrying about money, etc(and I blame a lOT of it on our current economic system). Frustrating. I'm currently without a job, and as you and others might know, its difficult.
That's okay cameron. I am really sorry to hear that you are having a hard time of it out there. I know it is hard to be without a job, I have been there too. What kind of jobs are you looking for? Or, better yet, what are your talents? There has to be some kind of solution out there for you. Have you ever thought of starting your own business? Some businesses can be started with minimum capital. It takes initiative, but maybe you can turn capitalism to your advantage. Start working for yourself and set your own rules. One advantage we ADDers have is we can hyper focus and really go after something if we want it bad enough.

I could be off base here because I don't know your complete situation, but there has to be something that can be done.

On a sidenote, my boss dislikes the corporate world and all of the politics that go along with it, so he started his own company with zero capital. Now, while he has to work with the corporate world, it is by his rules not theirs. He is working with the system from the outside, so he is not married to it so to speak.

cameron
06-15-06, 01:20 AM
Well, my father has his own Public Relations business. I have started my form of PR in the past, but since I'm not married I don't like being at home 24/7, if you know what I mean. But, I am seriously considering it. I'm actually going to try teaching(PE) and coaching. My love/talents are sports. I just have a difficult time in most jobs. I don't like following companies policies(all the little nick nack stuff), bosses, etc...well see, I guess...in the meantime, I'm playing a lot of golf! :) without a job! typical ADD impulsitivity at work.

susane
06-15-06, 04:42 PM
That sounds really good. Teaching PE and coaching sounds like a lot of fun. I wish you the best of luck with it and anything else you try.

Magicman
06-29-06, 12:10 AM
Im in outside sales, specifically in-home home improvements. I can't imagine doing anything else. It has been the perfect fit for my ADD. However, you have to have the right employer. It took me getting fired from two jobs before I ended up where i am now.

I swear both of my bosses have ADD...........probably why I get along well there. When I was supposed to meet my new boss for my first day of training, he called my house at 10:05am and asked my wife.........."did I tell him to be here at 10 or 10:30? I cant remember...." She later laughed and said I finally met my match.

I have very little time restraints. When my boss schedules appointments for me, they are rarely before 10am and almost always have a window of an hour or even two hours that I can arrive. Therefore, I am never late!

I am required to do follow up work, and scheduling.........which is sometimes a challenge, but I'm doing pretty good overall. I started a color coded filing system for my leads. I have a red folder for jobs that were lost, a yellow folder for sales calls that I gave a price but havent heard back from yet, and a green folder for jobs that are sold. Every day I go thru the yellow folder and call whomever needs to be followed up with. I take notes of every conversation on the back of their slip so I never forget any details.

I also take digital pictures of every job to help me remember details for later.