View Full Version : problems with math ehh

genralsanders
05-29-06, 02:51 PM
Ive always had diffaculty with math like all my life. I got my progress report recenltly and it said I was on the verge of flunking out. As of last year which was my sophmore year I was put into special ed math. I hated special ed math it made me feel like less of a human being. I was put into a class with retards dont want to be mean by saying that but its true. Also I have to show my mom that im improving in my math by showing her I got better test grades or I cant go to Civil Air Patrol. It makes me so much of angry and frustrated person that I already am.

Iwalani8
06-03-06, 01:22 AM
seek tutoring. if you are in high school, there should be resources on where to find a tutor. i have had to get tutoring for math in college. it has helped so much. it will allow you to remain in a class you feel you belong in, and should help you understand concepts. i've dealt with this forever...

Lipz17
07-15-06, 09:00 PM
Please do not beat yourself up for this.I know it is much easier said then done but let me tell you,I am grown and have two children of my own and STILL struggle in math and always will as i have a slight disabilty in that subject.You are not any less then anyone else because you were put in special class either,I was in special classes all my life.I know its hard but please know you are not any less then anyone else for this.Please keep your head up and think positive!!!

Crazy~Feet
07-15-06, 10:18 PM
I am going to have to tackle a similar dislike of mathematics soon myself. I want to go back the school and dread the idea that at some point the course will be higher mathematics :mad: I cannot see why I would have to pass a class like that, since in my case it will not be used on my choice of career.

I am so sorry this gives you pain and difficulty since it will be required for your chosen profession :(.

Crazy (who cannot manage to give a rat's patootie what X equals)

dormammau2008
07-18-06, 06:50 PM
you can only try on maths an hopefull you get.....>>>......l,))))) iam shore theres help if you can get good truter....as i dont have any my self so i hope all gose well for you dorm

X-Man
07-18-06, 08:12 PM
Math is like a ladder. There are a certain amount of steps to the top. If you choose to skip learning any of the steps you have a ladder that is fifteen feet long with three steps.That would be quite a reach. Just like trying to remember how to do a problem with steps that were chosen to be ignored. I taught the class of learners that didn't pass the state achievment test in the math area one year. I found out that is the group of kids I should have been working with all along. I somehow chould tell how they thought. They did every problem in the book, on the tests and on the test practice material with a one hundred percent mastery before the year was over. The regular class didn't even finish the book. They were so proud of their great scores on the next state achievement test. They were really smart. I was really proud of them.

X-Man

lars
08-01-06, 12:19 AM
I am in a pre-med program and have found that math has been the greatest struggle for me by far. This past spring I had a professor who got the entire class signed up for with an online math "assistant," that has tranformed how I learn mathmatics. It is called "ALEKS" and it is a web-based, individualized learning assistant. ALEKS utilizes a sophisticated artificial intelligence engine that is very unique, and combines a state of the art assessment technology to identify precisely what each individual already knows, and what is now ready to be learned. I highly recommend it to anyone who struggles in mathmatics irregardless of their age. You can try it out for free for 48 hours with no obligation at all. Go to the link below and take a tour and watch the little video to learn much more about it. It is free to try out, and does not require a credit card to try, only an email address for the free trial. I hope that it helps others here as much as it has helped me.

http://www.aleks.com/

Crazy~Feet
08-01-06, 01:59 PM
Math is like a ladder. There are a certain amount of steps to the top. If you choose to skip learning any of the steps you have a ladder that is fifteen feet long with three steps.That would be quite a reach. Just like trying to remember how to do a problem with steps that were chosen to be ignored. I taught the class of learners that didn't pass the state achievment test in the math area one year. I found out that is the group of kids I should have been working with all along. I somehow chould tell how they thought. They did every problem in the book, on the tests and on the test practice material with a one hundred percent mastery before the year was over. The regular class didn't even finish the book. They were so proud of their great scores on the next state achievement test. They were really smart. I was really proud of them.

X-ManX-Man, I will soooooo keep you in mind if I get hit by the Algebra-Ya-Gotta-Pass-It Bus when I go back to school. I am honestly hoping I can get that prerequisite waived using the Americans with Disabilities Act, but if I cannot? Maybe you can convince me that X is a worthy opponent after all :). As of this moment, I cannot say I care what is at the top of the ladder!

Crazy :cool:

lars
08-01-06, 03:01 PM
X-Man, I will soooooo keep you in mind if I get hit by the Algebra-Ya-Gotta-Pass-It Bus when I go back to school. I am honestly hoping I can get that prerequisite waived using the Americans with Disabilities Act, but if I cannot? Maybe you can convince me that X is a worthy opponent after all :). As of this moment, I cannot say I care what is at the top of the ladder!

Hey Crazy, I felt the exact same as you do now about algebra most of my life, and math in general for that matter. I failed it all the way through highschool and had to drop it twice on the college level before I had a professor who got me hooked up with that ALEKS thing I discussed in my post above yours in this thread. I not only struggled with the math, but my psychiatrist had to prescribe me some benzo's to help me cope with the math anxiety too. All of that changed after I started working with ALEKS. It gives you a brief evaluation to determine exactly where you are at, and then it goes from there. It creates custom quizes to help you in the problems areas you have, and at any point it will allow you to get an explanaition of how to solve the problem, and usually offers multiple explanaitions for solving the same problem. I found the alternate explanaitions to be very beneficial because it allowed me to see how my mind can grasp some of these concepts when looking at them in a different way. I strongly suggest that you (or anyone else with ADD) look into the ALEKS by checking out that little video clip that they have there at their site that explains how revolutionary this thing really is, and I would also suggest that you try out the free 48 hour trial too. It is a service of McGraw Hill, which is a textbook company, and they will not bombard you with emails or anything like that if you choose not to sign up for it. They only require an email address to sign up for the free trial in order to prevent people from just signing up over and over again for free trials. I can honestly say that ALEKS has allowed me to feel confident, and better yet kept my math anxiety to a bare minimum. Granted I still get a little nervous from time to time with mid-terms and finals, but I think that is normal to a certain extent. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped (and continues to help) me.

Crazy~Feet
08-01-06, 03:28 PM
Bookmarked and saved for future reference if need be! Thanks for another option Lars :).

Christiana
09-08-06, 08:10 PM
oh my god... i know you mean well Lars, but math software... it gives me nightmares!!!!!! my parents bought me a super duper math tutoring software one year in high school and oh my gosh how i hated that thing!!!!!!

The problem is, even though everything looked nice and pretty, and went in small steps, at the end of the day I still had to sit there and READ about how to do the problems. I mean it read it out loud for me, but that didn't help either. Having to concentrate on math stuff in a book format (which is essentially what it was) has always been impossible for me. But as soon as somebody shows it to me in person, it suddenly makes a ton more sense. Maybe that is just me, maybe it's the ADD, who knows.

I'm sure the math software is much better now (this was 10 years ago) but still... it gives me nightmares on the same order that flashcards do!!!

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
12-09-06, 05:02 PM
Sorry this post is a little long. ;)
When I was reading over the posts here it made think of the problems I've always had with math. :eek: I was diagnosed with ADD and Dyscalculia- a math learning disability that has far more reaching affects than one would suspect. It doesn't really matter how long you sit and "learn" math it becomes next to impossible to recall it later Gr-r-r!. :mad: Finger counting, omission, and transposing of NUMBers- mix-up of basic operations and steps are just some of...Well... problems we Dyscalculiacs have. :eek: Dyscalculia has been around almost as long as Dyslexia but few people have heard of it even though it's a bona-fide recognized learning disability listed in the DSM. My heart goes out to anyone with this learning disability that affects every aspect of life that some people will never understand or comprehend. Hugs to all. :D :) :D

And off topic: Lars, Neat avatar. :D where can I find one similar to yours?
Thank You

That's me, Oddd-Scrooball

QueensU_girl
12-09-06, 06:20 PM
Someone on the boards told me that there is little research into math LDs at the Secondary and Post=Secondary school levels of math.

Christiana
01-11-07, 05:46 PM
yeah I have dyscalculia too - although mine is not the same as yours (there are a number of different problems people have) I don't transpose numbers or anything like that, but I do have tons of problems remembering the stuff i learn. some of the other problems I have that are typical are telling time/keeping track of time, doing arithmetic, mixing up operations & signs, carrying out anything that has a number of steps, calculating change & tips, writing down phone numbers, everything with fractions...

anyways i just wanted to add that to what you said :)

Guest1
06-05-07, 11:10 AM
i had the same problem in school since i was bad in math i was in ld classes and i felt same way put in a room with slower people then me was not so fun i felt like i was worthless and everytime class started i was late so no one knew i was in does classes it was horrible

boone1
06-05-07, 02:43 PM
When I was reading over the posts here it made think of the problems I've always had with math. :eek: I was diagnosed with ADD and Dyscalculia- a math learning disability that has far more reaching affects than one would suspect. It doesn't really matter how long you sit and "learn" math it becomes next to impossible to recall it later Gr-r-r!. :mad: Finger counting, omission, and transposing of NUMBers- mix-up of basic operations and steps are just some of...Well... problems we Dyscalculiacs have. :eek: Dyscalculia has been around almost as long as Dyslexia but few people have heard of it even though it's a bona-fide recognized learning disability listed in the DSM. My heart goes out to anyone with this learning disability that affects every aspect of life that some people will never understand or comprehend. Hugs to all. :D :) :D

Thank You

That's me, Oddd-Scrooball

I have dyscalculia too and I hate the way people think it's just to do with things like adding and multiplying. I'm super slow at working out the time I can't manage time either. I can't judge the amount of time something will take, distances or measurements. I have terrible name and face retreival which I found out recently has to do with dyscalculia.

I work in a bakery and I find it difficult to remember what people have ordered and then if I manage to remember that I get the things the customer wants then I can't count the money they give me without counting out loud and THEN I can't even recognise the customer that I'm supposed to give the change too!

I also have trouble with everything that Christiana mentioned. Wow this LD is annoying lol.

auntchris
06-30-07, 05:41 PM
i had the same problem in school since i was bad in math i was in ld classes and i felt same way put in a room with slower people then me was not so fun i felt like i was worthless and everytime class started i was late so no one knew i was in does classes it was horrible
Me too... I hated it... I didnt like the teacher... I didn t like being in a special classroom.

So know I am in regular college classes how do I get over the feeling of feeling the same way... when I am on accomodations. I feel the same stupid way I did in school in the special class. :o :eek: :foot:

Crazy~Feet
09-18-07, 03:50 AM

Thank You

That's me, Oddd-ScrooballI forgot that this thread existed and that I had posted in it several times. :o I had recently decided to have a closer look at dyscalculia and managed to find a self-test online.

Out of a possible 22 qualifiers, I had 18 :cool:. I suppose its more than a mere dislike of mathematics in my case, considering those results, huh? I was a little surprised to find out some of the qualifiers, actually. Who knew that many dyscalculics were accelerated in language related classes (certainly applies to me!)? That the fact that I didn't learn to tell time until I was 8 or 9 really meant something was different about me? And I never paid much attention to it...but I still have to count on my fingers, and my dislike of mathematics is more like a phobic reaction.

Y'all dyscalculics have room in the club for one more member? :)

Crazygirl79
09-18-07, 04:57 AM
Martyza.

I know EXACTLY how you must have felt when placed a classroom with those slower than you....this happened to me too and it was truly annoying to say the least:rolleyes:

I was terrible at maths but good at english and other literacy based subjects but nevertheless I was put in a LD class for my learning issues...which was maths and also behavioural issues.....btw I've been failing maths consistently since 5th grade:p

Selena:)

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
09-20-07, 11:49 PM
I forgot that this thread existed and that I had posted in it several times. :o I had recently decided to have a closer look at dyscalculia and managed to find a self-test online.

Out of a possible 22 qualifiers, I had 18 :cool:. I suppose its more than a mere dislike of mathematics in my case, considering those results, huh? I was a little surprised to find out some of the qualifiers, actually. Who knew that many dyscalculics were accelerated in language related classes (certainly applies to me!)? That the fact that I didn't learn to tell time until I was 8 or 9 really meant something was different about me? And I never paid much attention to it...but I still have to count on my fingers, and my dislike of mathematics is more like a phobic reaction.

Y'all dyscalculics have room in the club for one more member? :)

There's always room for one more Dyscalculiac, :D just don't expect any of us to count the number of members, so Welcome aboard, Crazy~Feet. you are hereby inducted into the "Can't Fathom I{Hate Don't Can't do the Math club. We are a Elite highly creative group. We are of Superior Intelligence are often Intuitive, have better than average vocabularies and superior writing proficiency etc..... and the list goes on to the astounding credits to Our Above Average Minds. Again Welcome, Crazy~Feet, your name has been added to an undetermined uncounted page.

:D :D :D :D :) :D :) :D :D :D :D

josh
10-10-07, 01:11 AM
Even I hate maths and the simple reason for this is that I don’t know maths…..my teacher has warned me if I do not pass in maths this year I will not be promoted in the next class. My principal has talked about it to my mom so ever since she is giving me maths tuition…..i have started to learn a little bit……seeing the effort my mom is putting after me. She even brought memory boosters….I remember one called brahmi (http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s33663-s-BRAHMI.aspx) …..I hate taking them but I have too. Now, I want to pass my maths exams and all this because of my mom….she is really worried about but education and future.

supersomeone
10-15-07, 04:37 PM
i feel ya just today my resorce teacher said that she would liekt o meet with my mother and the math teachers it is not that i am bad student i get bs in the class but when it comes to a test i totally freak ou t(geometry) . i cant do it by myself sometime it is so frusteraiting because ,well i dont like it when ppl have to hold my hand to get a test done. although it is not really like that But even still i think you guys know what i am talking about.and the class goes SO slow but i cant complain because i do not understand it but i cant sit in that class lol . And also i know how you feeel about the lower class i had to FIGHT (my mother and i ) with the case worker to put me in to collage prep .just breath and go for extra help even if you still do not understand it at least they know you are for real (sorry this is so long)

lelahaha
12-22-07, 05:15 PM
Ive always had diffaculty with math like all my life. I got my progress report recenltly and it said I was on the verge of flunking out. As of last year which was my sophmore year I was put into special ed math. I hated special ed math it made me feel like less of a human being. I was put into a class with retards dont want to be mean by saying that but its true. Also I have to show my mom that im improving in my math by showing her I got better test grades or I cant go to Civil Air Patrol. It makes me so much of angry and frustrated person that I already am.
Don't feel bad man. Lots have problems with math. Its my worst enemy as well. But I need to to finish high school. Look at it this way just finish and do what you gotta do. When its all done you can take a nice long breck from it.

starry
12-29-07, 04:21 AM
Math has always been my biggest nightmare.
I was a good student when it came to literature, English, learning languages, biology etc., but math- especially Algebra (was somewhat better with Geometry, mostly because it was related to shapes and not just numbers)
I had to drop out of college when I just couldn't pass the Algebra classes, no matter how much I tried and got tutoring on the side etc etc.
I really want to go back to college and study my lifelong passion "psychology", but I wish there was a way to skip the algebra classes.
I am literally disabled when it comes to math. Is there a way in the education system for number dyslexic people like me to be given a break (=skipping the math classes) and still be able to major in a field they're good at/ passionate about?
I am a driven person and not a giver upper if I'm passionate about something, but God only knows how much I have tried and tried and tried, yet my mind isn't able to deal with math problems.
I can do basic additions, substractions, multiplication (very slow without a calculator, since I'm adding the same number on another page sometimes- still have problems remembering parts of the multiplication table) and really really basic division. That's it.
I cheated my way through school in math exams -charming the crap out of people sitting around me to let me copy from them, which mostly they gave me permission to.
Sitting next to a nice nerd was very helpful. (I am forever grateful for their kindness and send them my blessings! I may have gotten on their nerves demanding they move their arm so I could see better, lol, but it was a matter of survival.
My parents spent a fortune on my private math tutoring where I was verbally abused by frustrated tutors (after explaining stuff for a gazillion times and me still not getting it- I finally had to pretend I "got it"- to get them to calm down)....
I know exactly how you all feel and it's a relief to know that I wasn't the only one with this problem- although I'm sad that anyone else went through what I went through.

Skully
12-29-07, 11:02 AM
I hate math, I always have. I learned a second language in college just so I could aviod taking math classes (we were allowed to block one or the other).