View Full Version : Question for those ADDults new to meds (or remember that time)

Crazy~Feet
05-29-06, 05:46 PM
I have of course read the literature and realise that what I am feeling is a perfectly normal response...so what I am asking for is feedback on how ADDults felt about or handled this:

I got my meds and the dose I am at seems to be working quite well. Now I feel kind of odd about it, slightly off-kilter, waiting for the proverbial "other shoe" to drop! 40 years of a missing diagnosis and no treatment has left me kind of USED TO the way I am unmedicated, if that makes sense?

I understand what the meds are doing for me and am appropriately grateful for them every day, but I still feel kind of weird. I still feel like ME too, I just get moments where I feel so freaked out by my LACK of symptoms!

Its probably pertinent to note that I am inattentive/anxious type and can fall into that harmful pattern of hyperfocusing on my anxiety when off the meds. I just feel like some comments from others might validate me and help me to stay aware of that unhelpful pattern in my life.

Thanks for reading!

Crazy :)

chloe516
05-29-06, 05:53 PM
It is so hard to get used to a new normal, I still am amazed at the difference between how I feel on and off meds. :D

Crazy~Feet
05-29-06, 09:29 PM
I am still curious and hoping this does not get "lost" in the new posts :) thanks!

Hyperion
05-29-06, 11:20 PM
I got my meds and the dose I am at seems to be working quite well. Now I feel kind of odd about it, slightly off-kilter, waiting for the proverbial "other shoe" to drop! 40 years of a missing diagnosis and no treatment has left me kind of USED TO the way I am unmedicated, if that makes sense?
The other day, my boss emailed me to say that she'd call me later that day to talk aout my schedule for next week. My first instinct was "oh no, I forgot to do something important and they're going to fire me." Of course, it turns out that she just wanted to coordinate things to make sure that we'd both be ready for a meeting after the long memorial day weekend, but my first instinct was still the old "oh sh*t, I forgot to do something again." Old habits die hard.

wheresmykeys
05-30-06, 04:13 AM
I know how you feel. I felt very different at first, I thought I was a new person and I apparently acted like it too. I have been on meds for 2 months now, and I feel like me on them and no more "you've changed" comments. It's just adjustment.
I found that I could actually accomplish things (im also inattentive or combined + anxious) and I went into overdrive doing EVERYTHING. Now I have learned to do things in moderation so Im not so crazy hard working.
It takes adjustment to that, but once it settles in nicely you should be fine.
Remember it takes 6-8 weeks for the meds to have their true effect. I felt effects right away but I knew the very day they had settled in properly..it worked but it didn't make me different or over forcused like in the beginning. I could do things like the non-add do.

Crazy~Feet
05-30-06, 04:18 AM
I know how you feel. I felt very different at first, I thought I was a new person and I apparently acted like it too. I have been on meds for 2 months now, and I feel like me on them and no more "you've changed" comments. It's just adjustment.
I found that I could actually accomplish things (im also inattentive or combined + anxious) and I went into overdrive doing EVERYTHING. Now I have learned to do things in moderation so Im not so crazy hard working.
It takes adjustment to that, but once it settles in nicely you should be fine.
Remember it takes 6-8 weeks for the meds to have their true effect. I felt effects right away but I knew the very day they had settled in properly..it worked but it didn't make me different or over forcused like in the beginning. I could do things like the non-add do.Thanks you so much for that! I ma aware that I might go overboard and am trying to be kind to myself, but I am so weirded out at some odd moments!

Your answer was so helpful. I really do wish to avoid the pitfalls I set up for myself very often.

timh
05-30-06, 09:30 AM
The other day, my boss emailed me to say that she'd call me later that day to talk aout my schedule for next week. My first instinct was "oh no, I forgot to do something important and they're going to fire me." Of course, it turns out that she just wanted to coordinate things to make sure that we'd both be ready for a meeting after the long memorial day weekend, but my first instinct was still the old "oh sh*t, I forgot to do something again." Old habits die hard.
I still feel this way and I have been on medication for almost 2 years. :D Being on the defensive is a very common trait for those with ADHD. It's goes along with the whole anxiety thing. No magic pill for this one. :(

boardtabitz
05-30-06, 09:48 AM
I had a friend that was an emotional roller coaster psycho-**tch. She was prescribed prozac and it made a huge difference. She was just a regular person. She wasn't flat or anything like someone over medicated. She decided that it wasn't her. Something about not feeling alive with out the extremes of emotions so she stopped taking it.

I think sometimes we have to be careful about what we feel defines ourselves or we never progress in life. Since I could never count on how I was going to feel each day when I woke up I welcome the chance to at least have that consistency in my life. Unfortunately PMS still wrecks havoc with that.

susane
05-30-06, 01:07 PM
I have of course read the literature and realise that what I am feeling is a perfectly normal response...so what I am asking for is feedback on how ADDults felt about or handled this:

I understand what the meds are doing for me and am appropriately grateful for them every day, but I still feel kind of weird. I still feel like ME too, I just get moments where I feel so freaked out by my LACK of symptoms!

Its probably pertinent to note that I am inattentive/anxious type and can fall into that harmful pattern of hyperfocusing on my anxiety when off the meds. I just feel like some comments from others might validate me and help me to stay aware of that unhelpful pattern in my life.

Thanks for reading!

Crazy :)

Hi crazyfeet, I think I know how you feel. I am 44 and inattentive/anxious type too...I just got diagnosed/medicated recently and have felt weird at times because the anxiety is gone.

I had a conversation about this over the weekend with my boyfriend! He asked me if I felt the need to fill the void that is left by not having anymore anxiety...he asked me what I replaced it with. I have lived with the anxiety for so long it became part of me and defined who I am in a sense. I do sometimes feel like there is a void, but at the sametime I feel like I have been released from something that has held me back in my life. Now I am trying to focus on taking advantage of the release and taking my life to a new level...one that I always imagined, but felt incapable of achieving.

Is this what you are talking about?

Crazy~Feet
05-30-06, 01:16 PM
Hi crazyfeet, I think I know how you feel. I am 44 and inattentive/anxious type too...I just got diagnosed/medicated recently and have felt weird at times because the anxiety is gone.

I had a conversation about this over the weekend with my boyfriend! He asked me if I felt the need to fill the void that is left by not having anymore anxiety...he asked me what I replaced it with. I have lived with the anxiety for so long it became part of me and defined who I am in a sense. I do sometimes feel like there is a void, but at the sametime I feel like I have been released from something that has held me back in my life. Now I am trying to focus on taking advantage of the release and taking my life to a new level...one that I always imagined, but felt incapable of achieving.

Is this what you are talking about?Yes! I have discovered that I am still me...I am now just me on meds. I repeat to myself "This is me on medication, this is me without the symtpoms that held me back". I am also trying to get it through my stubborn Irish skull that now I may be able to achieve some of the things I had begun to think were out of my reach.

This thread is here to remind me when I forget to remember this is me without distraction. I love all y'all for helping me in my process!

susane
05-30-06, 03:56 PM
Great thread! I think it can be used by many of us to remember ourselves without distraction...thanks.

Crazy~Feet
05-30-06, 04:32 PM
Great thread! I think it can be used by many of us to remember ourselves without distraction...thanks.I am tickled pink to know I am not alone and at the same time to know I am helping others! :)

twistedself
05-31-06, 01:17 PM
Hi crazyfeet, I think I know how you feel. I am 44 and inattentive/anxious type too...I just got diagnosed/medicated recently and have felt weird at times because the anxiety is gone.This has been the most interesting thing for me. Now if I don't want to make a phone call or do something, it is because I just don't feel like it. And if I don't do something, my stomach doesn't start to do backflips and then have to run to the bathroom in 3 hours. Your body gets very used to anxiety and "likes" it. I subconsciously look for or expect the anxiety and it doesn't come. It is weird.

The anxiety is not completely gone of course, if I get really stressed (good or bad) then the anxiety will come back but not nearly as severe. And it is controllable.

My suggestion is to go on the meds for a while, then go off them. :) see how different life looks and feels when off. :)

Twistedself

SeaShelle
05-31-06, 01:38 PM
Yes! I do know what you mean. I also l had the inattentiveness and the anxiety as a result of all my moments when I would gasp and say "oh ****" and then feel the anxiety come on. In fact, my dd and husband will make the gasping sound I make and then ask what it was about: i.e. "*gasp* what Mommy?" They don't do that as much anymore and my anxiety meds have been sitting on their shelf.

I also seem to have gone a little crazy with "over-performing" as my therapist called it...but we talked it over and I don't need to prove myself anymore or constantly feel like I need to over-perform to compensate for all my under-performance. I think I also seek the stimulation of a crush of work. I am just coming out of several weeks of loooong days and feel like I am in slow motion. I love slow motion now, though. Slow motion doesn't feel as bad when I am on meds since I am so much more patient. Incredibly so. Yea!

Glad to hear how things are working for you.

-- Sea :)

kvrrd
05-31-06, 02:23 PM
I started taking an anti-depressant some years ago because of all the personality conflicts I found myself in. Some of it stemming from chemotherapy, job stress, everything. The meds didn't seem to be helping me much after a year or so.
Manic rage, crying, peri-monopause led me to bipolar II meds. I have to be careful with liver damaging drugs because of the HCV. I responded to but relapsed after alpha-interferon therapy.
I felt doped up from the bipolar II meds, lost my memory, more depressed, spiralled down.
So I started adderall and felt better, but still dopey. I cut down the trileptal to a third of what the doctor suggested and rearranged WHEN I took the meds.
I take adderal xr in the morning, then a little after lunch to get me through the evening.
At night before bed I take the trileptal and celexa and that helps me sleep too.
I've been on this schedule for almost four months.
This has made all the difference in the world.
I feel like myself again. I'm getting all kinds of insights, revelations and inspirations.
But I'm also getting sad and angry and happy and confused and it's all good.
I feel like I can manage again and I know it will still take time.
I started to wean myself off of the celexa and started crying right away - a lot of crying for no reason. So what the heck, I'm not ready to stop.
At one time I thought I'd have to keep increasing the doses. Not any more.
Is there a lurking beast in me waiting to break out? sure, but it isn't anywhere near as often or as volatile.
Controlled, but still impulsive. Technical details are coming back.
I'm starting to feel that fire in my gut again. AND I'M STILL MEDICATED.
I've softened. I don't hate humanity as much. I am one with the universe....ooommmmmmmm

Moody Blonde
05-31-06, 04:33 PM

Hi Crazy Feet! I'm the inattentive/anxious type too so I know what you mean about the hyper-focusing and the anxiety stuff! Yeah, it's typical that in those first few weeks and months one is amazed; as one realizes in what areas the meds help sooooo much! You might be asking yourself, "Hey! Now why didn't I have this medication sooner!!"

Congrats on your proper diagnosis!

ADDELINE
06-01-06, 12:38 AM
I'm the same type Crazy! Plus Depression! Feels like everything is building up around me and it will all be too far gone for me to get it under control. I'm on edge that other's will see how inept I am.

Addeline

zoneout
06-01-06, 11:54 PM
Hi Crazy,

Great thread. Yeah same here. I've had the anxiety/ADD thing so long and that's all I knew - it was MY normal state of mind until this month. I know what you mean about being kinda weird that it's gone - I just feel a calmness now. My mind doesn't constantly scan for things to worry about and then latch on. I'm living the "don't worry - be happy" existence. I'm actually being nice to co-workers that I could never tolerate before. It's literally a whole new lease on life at age 47.