View Full Version : Have a doctor who didn't believe that childhood Bipolar could coexist with ADHD...

Matt S.
05-30-06, 02:59 PM
My doctor told me recently that he's been anticipating a manic episode for some time now given that I take dexedrine and now that he sees in me that I am actually stable on a low-level mood stabilizer/high level stimulant. He said he was skeptical of the diagnosis but when i was in my "questionable" state recently...(my dx is Primary axis I: adhd hyperactive/impulsive secondary axis II: bipolar 2 disorder predominantly hypomanic type) where he doesn't know whether I'm hyperactive or hypomanic and there is an overlap with me... meaning my moody hyperactive moment was corrected by increasing the dexedrine and calming me down. When i was a kid and had the hypomanic cycles (with me i seem to have depression rarely) i was undiagnosed as adhd for a long time and my doc before that could see that i had been mis dx'd as a bipolar 2 and was re-dx as the above... my bipolar symptoms are linked to hereditary "cyclothymia" whatever that means and adhd from dad which sort of amplified the bipolar part of it and the adhd medicine has a calming balancing effect on the mood cycle part of the deal too... I guess i may be a bit of an odd case... and my doctor refers to me as the only person he has treated that has "the manic-depressive illness" as well as hyperactivity and responds to an odd form of therapy... Are there people like me here... hyperactive/hypomanic 95% of the time w/o medication??? because most other adhd/bipolar dx'd people I know have the Inattentive type and are on the 5-med bipolar combos and either 18 mg of concerta or "low dose adderall xr 10-15 mg per day" and the slightest bit of stimulants tend to induce mania in most and i need more of the stimulant to stay stable... I'd like to meet someone who does well on 100 mg of topamax/ 50 mg of dexedrine type medications so that i dont feel so odd...

speedo
05-30-06, 03:12 PM
mspen1018

Yes, there are a lot of people here with both bipolar and adhd. I am not sure where your doctor is coming from, but all of the literature I've read suggest that 75-95% of bipolars also have adhd. In fact, A few people claim that bipolar always is acompanied by adhd....

In any case, cyclothymia is a very mild form of bipolar disorder. Count your blessings.

ME :D

My doctor told me recently that he's been anticipating a manic episode for some time now given that I take dexedrine and now that he sees in me that I am actually stable on a low-level mood stabilizer/high level stimulant. He said he was skeptical of the diagnosis but when i was in my "questionable" state recently...(my dx is Primary axis I: adhd hyperactive/impulsive secondary axis II: bipolar 2 disorder predominantly hypomanic type) where he doesn't know whether I'm hyperactive or hypomanic and there is an overlap with me... meaning my moody hyperactive moment was corrected by increasing the dexedrine and calming me down. When i was a kid and had the hypomanic cycles (with me i seem to have depression rarely) i was undiagnosed as adhd for a long time and my doc before that could see that i had been mis dx'd as a bipolar 2 and was re-dx as the above... my bipolar symptoms are linked to hereditary "cyclothymia" whatever that means and adhd from dad which sort of amplified the bipolar part of it and the adhd medicine has a calming balancing effect on the mood cycle part of the deal too... I guess i may be a bit of an odd case... and my doctor refers to me as the only person he has treated that has "the manic-depressive illness" as well as hyperactivity and responds to an odd form of therapy... Are there people like me here... hyperactive/hypomanic 95% of the time w/o medication??? because most other adhd/bipolar dx'd people I know have the Inattentive type and are on the 5-med bipolar combos and either 18 mg of concerta or "low dose adderall xr 10-15 mg per day" and the slightest bit of stimulants tend to induce mania in most and i need more of the stimulant to stay stable... I'd like to meet someone who does well on 100 mg of topamax/ 50 mg of dexedrine type medications so that i dont feel so odd...

Scattered
05-30-06, 03:12 PM
Your doctor is unfortunately not up on the latest research. At the ADDA conference in May, they told us that when the first bipolar incident shows up in childhood there is a very highly chance of also having ADHD. When the bipolar shows up as a teen, there is about a 50% correlation, and a little lower coorelation if it doesn't show up until adulthood. You're not weird. I'm glad you've found a medication combination that works for you. It's important that your bipolar symptoms are stabilized because left untreated a mild cylothymia can progress to ever worsening levels bipolar disorder. You might want to find some literature to share with your doctor on this subject. Patients are being treated very successfully by stabilizing the mood disorder and then treating the ADHD issues. You're definately not weird!

There are also tapes available through ADDA on the Conference (some $10 and some $30). Brown and Dodson discussed "ADHD and Comorbidities" and there was also one by another doctor on "Medication: The Cornerstone of Treatment".

Take care,
Scattered

Matt S.
05-30-06, 08:11 PM
Yes he is a very old German man and he thinks dexedrine is a "miracle drug" and uses terms like "manic-depressive illness" and "hyperactive" so I know that he's definitely old school and i know when i was growing up that was the common belief then too so yeah he needs to be updated....

Tara
05-30-06, 10:22 PM
I was very surprised to learn recently that there is no Bipolar Diagnosis for Children in the DSM.

Matt S.
05-31-06, 10:26 AM
there should be because I have read stories about the manic episodes that adult-onset bipolar patients have and i cant relate to it at all... it takes on a totally different form
more extreme in severity yet more consistent and less rapid than mine yet they dont have adhd in those examples either