View Full Version : Symptoms of ADD? or just poor self-discipline?

robynne
06-02-06, 10:42 AM
Hi, I'm 20 years old and I am studying at university. I have a suspect feeling that I may have add but i just want some feedback from others before I see a doctor.

This is a short list of what my issues are (in order of frustration):

1. Disorganisation
No matter how hard i try i cannot organise myself. Its really everything I touch. That includes my room, my handbags, my uni work, random pieces of paper. I constantly lose things, forget to mail things, leave things to the very last minute. I've always been like this and used to think that everyone was but now as i grow older i realise i have the same organisation skills (or lack thereof) as i did when i was 9.

And also my MIND is so everywhere at once i feel like I can't keep up with it. (I often talk outloud to walk myself through things systematically). It makes it very difficult to articulate my thoughts in a coherent manner particularly when attempting to write essays. Although i understand things i always overcomplicate them so much that can't put my thoughts down on paper.

2. Procrastination
I guess this is in part due to the above. A lot of the time things seem so daunting I put them off to the very last minute and I just seem to have no regard for what consequences this might have. I do happen to get distracted by just about everything, which doesn't really help. For instance, I'll go down to Woolworths to buy some soap and I'll end up spending 2 hours there just going looking at one product which will remind me of a recipe so i will then hunt for the ingredients which will remind me of a new product i read about...etc

3. Inattentiveness
This isn't absolute because i can focus on a lot of things that i enjoy. For example I can spend hours trying to complete a riddle, or do a mathematics problem, however i find it difficult to read uni work or listen to others in conversation without interrupting, sometimes with a really "insensitive" comment. I'm so easily distracted that even when (or especially when) i have an assignment due the next day i'll immerse myself in these 'projects' and spend hours on the internet going from one topic to another, to another etc. I also find that I can't read/do work in busy brightly lit areas as it dissettles me (i dunno if that means anything to anyone).

4. Inappropriateness
This used to be a big problem for me in high school (it got me into a number of fights) but most people now take it to be part of my personality (i think). Its simply that i say things and do particular do things that seem "reckless." I don't really feel this is a problem at all because i think its just being fun but i thought i'd mention it because it seems to be recurrent jusdgement that others have of me.

I'm not sure if I'm being self indulgent here and truthfully this is a simplified version of everything because it permeates my entire . I wouldn't really even have a problem with any of it, but I just REALLY want to do well at uni and its becoming such a liability and i wanna just diagnose it or cross it off my list as soon as possible.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

auntchris
06-03-06, 08:08 PM
Okay robynne I have been looking for your post. when you are young like you are at the age of 20 AD/HD is different than when a person is my age at forty seven. I was diagnose this past year so i am also just learning.

checkout this site. http://www.helpguide.org (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_signs_symptoms.htm)

I love this site.... it is informative and the graphics are cute too.
http://www.ldpride.net

Another site for kid I like( the explanations are easy to read) is

http://kidshealth.org

I have been searching for you the links. There are more to that Dr Hallowell include in the book Driven to Distraction. Check out his book and also the book
You Mean Im Not Lazy, Stupid Or Crazy!

I hope this helps

zoneout
06-10-06, 02:12 AM
Sure sounds like ADD to me especially since you said you have experienced this as far back as you can remember. I would definately read one of the books on ADD to get a good idea about it (Hallowell and Ratey have few good ones also the one by Amen is excellent). From there I would see a pdoc.

Master Rat
06-10-06, 10:12 AM
Read the book "Delivered from Distraction". It will enable you to answer your own question and teach you how to seek help.

Tom

QueensU_girl
06-10-06, 10:47 AM
Yup. Your Symptoms are consistent. The verbal Impulsivity means you are likely a Combined or Hyper.

re: #4

This is a symptom of the brain's poor self-regulation ability and poor self-monitoring.

You say that it does not impact your life.

I would disagree.

Rather, i think that these ADD symptoms can impair ADDers in ways that are not OBVIOIUSLY known to them. Many friends or observers are too polite to openly criticise.

I have a friend who offends people all the time. She will make comments that embarrass people. (Unintentionally.) She thinks she is funny, but noone is laughing.

It is sort of sad b/c people just dismiss her as an "idiot" or as being "inappropriate". She is left out b/c of this, and misses out. (Although she does not truly realize it.) She dismisses it as people being "mean" and that they "are picking on her"... meanwhile, most of us can see that she is really uncensored. What the rest of us see, and DON'T say, will come flying out of her mouth.

It is as though she has to STATE THE OBVIOUS that others might be thinking.

This may not affect you obviously now. However, as ADDers go on in University or the job market, it is hard to get anywhere in life if we cannot put the brakes on our mouths

Talk to your Doctor about the Runaway Mouth problem.

NB. I've studied Bullying a lot. (Hot new research topic.)

When dealing with the Weird Kids (like us ADDers) -- Most Females will react differently to you than Most Males. Most Females will exclude and avoid you from social settings, if you have a Big Mouth. Most Males are more Direct Communicators - and are more likely to interrupt any inappropriate comments, eg. "what the heck did you just say?"

I sort of prefer dealing with Males, that way. They'll say things to my face.

QueensU_girl
06-10-06, 10:53 AM
NB. Print all this stuff you've typed up here, and take it to your New Doctor, to help with your Assessment.

scuro
06-10-06, 11:06 AM
The symptoms all sound like ADHD, get it checked out.

Back to the title and the concept of poor self discipline.

Where do ADHDers end up for jobs? Here are two prime areas, the self employed and the military. The self employed have more flexibility in time lines, they can control that. In the military self discipline is controlled by others, you are constantly watched and negative consequences are handed out immediately. You don't need inhibition brain functions as much because the motivation (strong negative) is at the point of performance.

Difficulty with inhibition brain functions = poor self discipline

auntchris
06-10-06, 03:55 PM
Hi, I'm 20 years old and I am studying at university. I have a suspect feeling that I may have add but i just want some feedback from others before I see a doctor.

This is a short list of what my issues are (in order of frustration):

1. Disorganisation
No matter how hard i try i cannot organise myself. Its really everything I touch. That includes my room, my handbags, my uni work, random pieces of paper. I constantly lose things, forget to mail things, leave things to the very last minute. I've always been like this and used to think that everyone was but now as i grow older i realise i have the same organisation skills (or lack thereof) as i did when i was 9.

And also my MIND is so everywhere at once i feel like I can't keep up with it. (I often talk outloud to walk myself through things systematically). It makes it very difficult to articulate my thoughts in a coherent manner particularly when attempting to write essays. Although i understand things i always overcomplicate them so much that can't put my thoughts down on paper.

2. Procrastination
I guess this is in part due to the above. A lot of the time things seem so daunting I put them off to the very last minute and I just seem to have no regard for what consequences this might have. I do happen to get distracted by just about everything, which doesn't really help. For instance, I'll go down to Woolworths to buy some soap and I'll end up spending 2 hours there just going looking at one product which will remind me of a recipe so i will then hunt for the ingredients which will remind me of a new product i read about...etc

3. Inattentiveness
This isn't absolute because i can focus on a lot of things that i enjoy. For example I can spend hours trying to complete a riddle, or do a mathematics problem, however i find it difficult to read uni work or listen to others in conversation without interrupting, sometimes with a really "insensitive" comment. I'm so easily distracted that even when (or especially when) i have an assignment due the next day i'll immerse myself in these 'projects' and spend hours on the internet going from one topic to another, to another etc. I also find that I can't read/do work in busy brightly lit areas as it dissettles me (i dunno if that means anything to anyone).

4. Inappropriateness
This used to be a big problem for me in high school (it got me into a number of fights) but most people now take it to be part of my personality (i think). Its simply that i say things and do particular do things that seem "reckless." I don't really feel this is a problem at all because i think its just being fun but i thought i'd mention it because it seems to be recurrent jusdgement that others have of me.

I'm not sure if I'm being self indulgent here and truthfully this is a simplified version of everything because it permeates my entire . I wouldn't really even have a problem with any of it, but I just REALLY want to do well at uni and its becoming such a liability and i wanna just diagnose it or cross it off my list as soon as possible.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.Disorganisation .

I am have a hard time with Organisation in my life right now. I have too much of thing.... I find when I have less of Things my life is a lot simpler and I dont have to worry too much. I just recently went through my clothes with my Mom and we bagged half of my wardrobe that i dont wear or is too big. The less you have the less you have to wash, fold or worry about.

Procrastination.... I am the worst procreastinator in the world.... I love to do other things rather than what I am suppose tot be doing... If you get me in a bookstore forget it .... I am there for at least three hours... this is one of my passions collecting book.... I love book especially childrens book that were written when i became an adult and have not read.

As for advice on this I am still working on it ... but you could make a list of the thing you need to do for the day .... for instance if you have homework , that is important to get it done, then list what you have to do for what classes... I started doing that but i waas so far behind and it was my fault i ended dropping out for the sememster but it was due to a broken foot too.

Welll I just want to let you know you are not alone ... As for the organisation have you tried www.flylady.net (http://www.flylady.net)

for me it was too much .... but it helps others .... check it out. Again welcome.

HighFunctioning
06-10-06, 07:21 PM
3. Inattentiveness
I also find that I can't read/do work in busy brightly lit areas as it dissettles me (i dunno if that means anything to anyone).

Sensory oversensitivities aren't too uncommon in ADHD. Sensitivity to touch and sound aren't too uncommon. I'm not sure about light, though. I'm somewhat sensitive to light as I don't like to read in brightly lit areas (florescent lighting bothers me) and I'm not very good at driving at night in high traffic areas. There's a formal diagnosis for severe cases of such, SSS (Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome), but I'm not sure how common that is (to be diagnosed, that is).

If you're distracted by the light and everything else around you, then it's probably an issue with underfocus.