View Full Version : Who here has a problem keeping a job, especially...

cameron
06-05-06, 08:25 PM
if you have been out of school for a while(30 years old and beyond)? I'm about to lose my mind. I lost another job, for lack of attention, etc...I was fired(then mentioned my ADD) and was brought back by the ADA people at my job...anyway, 2 weeks later they say they cannot accomadate what I was asking for(it was just oral/written feedback)!! man this stuff gets old. I have had a LOT of jobs in the last 15 years.

Matt S.
06-06-06, 11:52 AM
I am looking for one now and it is hard for me due to my lack of impulse control well which is severe and it is more than just behavior in that aspect because I tend to speak my mind and the only medication for ADHD that I respond to is short acting dexedrine so I have to stay 100% about noticing when I need the next dose or well I usually blurt something out that I am thinking or have a miniature tolerance threshold for annoying people... not to mention I am impatient regardless of meds so I can see why I get fired or walk out as frequently as I do but I still have a long way to go... my recent job was a situation similar to yours... I walked out too... but I am hyperactive and I can't relate to the reasons that a person with inattentive forms of ADHD would get fired... if you are ADHD period though I assume that employment is a problem due to the symptom profile of ADD/ADHD... a lot of posts about getting fired are posted in this forum

cameron
06-06-06, 12:56 PM
well, when you have inattention problems(which is the main issue of ADD) you have problems in a lot of area's in your life, including work. I guess you just have to find the right fit for a job, which I haven't! it really sucks and is frustrating. I would like to hear some sucess stories of people on this forum, where they had trouble with jobs, then found the right fit and succedded. Anyone here? not many responses so far.

kvrrd
06-06-06, 01:19 PM
There's a book out there called "Now Discover Your Strengths". Gallop pole stuff.
If you buy the book, you can take an online test to verify your top 5 natural strengths - out of 34 or 35. The premise is that most people spend the bulk of their lives honing the talents that they are deficient in instead of accepting and concentrating on natural strengths.
Each strength is explained and examples and/or good indicators of that strength are given.
There is also a section explaining how to manage people with this particular strength.
You can guess your own strengths if you're introspective. But you may want to take the test and get some eye openers or validation.

You have to recognize your own talents and use them and provide a service some other shmoe can't.
I had long term jobs, 4 years minimum, 10 for the last long one. And now I've had 4 jobs in the last 18 months. more later... gotta go. check the web site out for the above at least. or not.

cameron
06-06-06, 02:03 PM
thanks....I will check it out, where is the web site? I have read similar type of books...bascially, I know what I like/am good at...that would be sports. I'm very athletic person, and sports has always been part of my life. I always thought of being a PE teacher, and football coach... ADD/LD has got in the way though. I have a lot of problems with school. I finally will be graduatiing from college at age 37 this year. If I can get my parents to help me out, I might want to pursue a teaching credential, so I can try teaching as a profession.

kvrrd
06-06-06, 02:08 PM
http://gmj.gallup.com/book_center/strengthsfinder/

mine: restorative, command, analytical, strategic, achiever

melv
06-07-06, 12:58 PM
I'm 29 and have had trouble keeping a job since I 1st starting working at 15. Then, it was unreliability ... in recent years it's been vague problems with not learning new tasks quickly enough ... or 1 time I quit at my review when my supervisor said I wasn't going anywhere with the company because of my inability to cross-train on systems ... my last ft job I was fired for "poor fit". I also failed out of my degree program in college ... seems to be some sort of pattern here?

cameron
06-13-06, 02:26 AM
melv, sorry to hear about the jobs and college issues. Do you hae your degree now? I just am about finished with mine(at almost 37). I flunked out at age 22 in my major(didn't go back until 35, becasue I was so scared of the college environment, that is how bad my ADD/LD is). Man, how many jobs would you estimate having since college? I used to work in the corporate world, hated it! I wonder if I will have to go back....oh boy

~boots~
06-13-06, 03:48 AM
I got my first Job in Kmart at 16. I lost my first Job at Kmart when I was 17.:(
Then it was door to door sales..LOL..which I lasted about a week..then I lounged around for a year or so, before getting a 6 month job to sort files in the local council office. I was fired about 3 weeks into it, but they never said why:( . I vaguely remember having all sorts of trouble trying to remember what to do for some reason!! Then came a job in a deli which my boyfriends mother owned. She sacked me too!!!:(

let me see...after that...
I got a job in a wool sorting shed, it was hot, and horrible, but I kept that job for about a year, before they decided to sack me too...:(
When I was about 21 I got a job in an office..it was crazy how I ever managed to get it...The lady interviewing asked "can you type" and my immediate reaction, was "yes, of course I can" (with two fingers and while looking at the keyboard) so i was being honest :D she then asked "how many words a minute can you type" and I didn't know there was even such a thought as to how fast one could type, so I did a quick mental calculation of me tapping away at the keyboard, and promptly answered "140 words"
wow, she said, and I thought "gee, that must be good!!!" lol..:D
I got that job, and luckily there was no real typing involved. Then about a year later I got fired again :(

I asked my Mum, who owned a small retail shop , if I could work there until I got another job...and that was about 1986, and I am still here..all alone..Mum retired about 4 years ago..

I guess it's a good thing I can't fire myself LOL:p :p

~boots~
06-13-06, 04:27 AM
Now reading back on my work history, no wonder my Dr was looking at me like "gee, and you didn't think anything was wrong sooner! " :faint: :faint:

There are a few great things about my work ethics though:p I am NEVER late, and I RARELY have a sickie..Maybe that's why they kept me for so long :faint: