View Full Version : Not sure if I have ADD or not...

finn885
06-06-06, 01:33 AM
A lot of people describe their ADD as having 50 different TV channels playing in their head and having to choose the right one, when it comes to paying attention. With me, I feel like I keep thinking about other things when I'm reading for school, but they're usually things that are on my mind, things that I've done recently, things I'm looking forward to, a good song that I'd just listened to, maybe a good movie I just watched, a decision that I have to make, etc (and this is often). And all of these things cause me to have a lot of trouble being able to focus on schoolwork, and this happens almost all the time. Is this also the case for people with ADD, or are they also distracted by anything, such as random thoughts that they hadn't been thinking about earlier, perhaps nearby objects (like a toaster or even the wall... and I'm not trying to be funny...), other things...?

I'm just really confused. Most of the time, I can't start any of my work until really late at night and then end up pulling all nighters to finish things at the last minute. I have trouble starting things, mainly school assignments. I'm slow-moving at schoolwork and other tasks, like cleaning and maybe getting ready to go somewhere. Despite all of this, I somehow get good grades...

I was told by a therapist that since I seem to be sort of a perfectionist, my procrastination habits stem from being afraid to fail. So if I don't try, failing won't matter as much. But if I try and then end up failing, she said I view this type of failure as worse. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I was told. And she also said that it's likely to be a form of ADD.

I'm really confused. Does anyone have any input? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks~

ladym
06-06-06, 01:53 AM
For me, yes, I'm just constantly bouncing from thought to thought, no matter what I'm doing. Trying to read, realize I've been thinking about something and read nothing. Trying to sleep, can't sleep because of all the chatter in my head (no, not voices, just internal thoughts, dialog, etc). Not necessarily 50 channels at once, but more like one channel, to the next, to the next, with no power outages. :p

One of the first things I noticed when I started meds was how quiet my head is. I'm not constantly thinking about everything, and anything, all day, every day.

There are a ton of online tests you can take. Of course they can't diagnose you, but I think they can let you know if you should look in that direction for a diagnosis or not.

What you have said here certainly sounds like AD/HD symptoms.

meadd823
06-06-06, 03:11 AM
Welcome to the forums finn885

For me, yes, I'm just constantly bouncing from thought to thought, no matter what I'm doing. Trying to read, realize I've been thinking about something and read nothing. Trying to sleep, can't sleep because of all the chatter in my head (no, not voices, just internal thoughts, dialog, etc). Not necessarily 50 channels at once, but more like one channel, to the next, to the next, with no power outages.

I usually do the 50 channel thing but ever thing else described above fits me also……

I was told by a therapist that since I seem to be sort of a perfectionist, my procrastination habits stem from being afraid to fail. So if I don't try, failing won't matter as much. But if I try and then end up failing, she said I view this type of failure as worse. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I was told. And she also said that it's likely to be a form of ADD.

In no way am I trying to refute your therapist but people who procrastinate do so because they can’t focus…..I know duh? However I would like to offer the option of the reason some wait until the last minute because the last minute hurry hurry rush releases adrenalin which stimulants the brain in much the same way stimulant meds do….. .thus waiting until the last minutes is really a coping method used to increase focus……by releasing the bodies own natural stimulant!

finn885
06-06-06, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the forums finn885

In no way am I trying to refute your therapist but people who procrastinate do so because they can’t focus…..I know duh? However I would like to offer the option of the reason some wait until the last minute because the last minute hurry hurry rush releases adrenalin which stimulants the brain in much the same way stimulant meds do….. .thus waiting until the last minutes is really a coping method used to increase focus……by releasing the bodies own natural stimulant!I've never thought of it that way... that's a really good point! Wow.

meadd823
06-08-06, 12:29 AM
I am impulsive hyper active ADD so the perfection thing just aint me at all. I discovered after I began treating my ADD with medications and education that I no longer waited until the last minute to begin projects and I could actually stop a project and remember to come back to it later. It became so much easier than waiting until the last minute and having to pull a large task off in one sitting.

Years after I began treating my impulsive ADD I moved in with a fellow who is more impulsive and hyper than I ever was and I noticed he did the same last minute thing. When ever I tried to get him to start a project early or some thing he would begin briefly then get distracted and wander off... some thing he never does when he is fixing to run out of time…..when time is of the essence he is super focused…..thus my perspective as born.